Rotoflex Rear Hub Bearings

Qu1ckn1ck

32 minutes ago, KevinR said:

NEVER underestimate the "ingenuity" of a previous owner !

Actually it was not the previous owner of my car that was to blame in this instance.  I bought the full assemblies pictured , advertised as refurbished, from Spitfire Graveyard this year.  I doubt if the car has done 200 miles since they were installed.  I might have a quiet word with S G but I guess caveat emptor will be the answer.

Triumph GT6 Rear axle assemblies.jpg

57 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

may be 'grave yard' is nearer the mark ??? 

all else   seems ok doesnt it ?????

Pete

The offside didn't rock when Paul checked it on Saturday but I will have the wheel and drum off to see if that hub has also been fitted with the help of a sledge hammer. 

To be fair to the original assembler, they'd not scrimped on grease or black paint! The 'paperweight' hub photo shows it in its lightweight state following the removal of the paint from the drum mounting face.

Just pleased it was a problem with the hub, not the shaft, and that I threw in my spare as an afterthought as I was leaving home! Got to have some luck sometimes...

Gully

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Adrian said:

So were the splines damaged as well? Hence them being jammed?

The hub splines had corrosion in the bottom of them when we removed the grease and they may have been damaged on another shaft at some point - nothing immediately apparent, but we didn't look too hard after the replacement hub fitted on the shaft as it should have done. Not sure if Nick has investigated more since?

Gully

17 hours ago, Gully said:

The hub splines had corrosion in the bottom of them when we removed the grease and they may have been damaged on another shaft at some point - nothing immediately apparent, but we didn't look too hard after the replacement hub fitted on the shaft as it should have done. Not sure if Nick has investigated more since?

Gully

On close inspection the deformed washer working with the locknut had become a perfect "spinning" tool working on the splines at the flange end of the hub.  The end of the hub splines had visibly spread to lock the hub and shaft tightly together.  See attached pic between 9 and 12 o'clock !

DSC01586.JPG

DSC01585.JPG

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Resurrected thread cos about to put longer m12 rear studs in roto rear hub and anticipating having to remove rear hub as I will not drill hole thro backplate

Just hoping to remove hub in situ.

Pete Lewis , never to be doubted says hub can be removed without puller. If Pete says so then thats it . However Pete can you advise how to do it..

Also is there the added problem of getting it back on as rotoflex distorts putting shaft out of alignment.

36 minutes ago, griffipaul said:

Resurrected thread cos about to put longer m12 rear studs in roto rear hub and anticipating having to remove rear hub as I will not drill hole thro backplate

Just hoping to remove hub in situ.

Pete Lewis , never to be doubted says hub can be removed without puller. If Pete says so then thats it . However Pete can you advise how to do it..

Also is there the added problem of getting it back on as rotoflex distorts putting shaft out of alignment.

I fitted slightly longer studs to my Vitesse (Although the standard 3/8" UNF Type) when I fitted some D1 Replica alloys without removing the hub, have you tried to fit the new studs first at an angle then straightening them as they enter the hole in the hub?

If they are extra long then you will definitely need to remove them or drill holes.

Although the Rotoflex Hubs aren't normally as tight as the swing axle ones, they are still a pretty tight fit (Or should be!).

I would still advise using a proper Triumph hub type puller to stop any possible damage to the flanges? 

Gary

cheers Gary

They are Canley supplied , M12 , guess they are L Rover.

they are approx 9 mm longer.

seen stories that longer studs can be fiddled in without removing hub but length has never been qualified.

have not fitted them yet still to do wheel and tyre clearance checks and thread engagement 175/70s on 5.5 minilights 25 mm offset replacing 165/80s on 6.0 Cosmics 25mm offset.

Fronts fit fine .

Just anticipating worst case of what's to come...Rain stopped play today will investigate tomorrow

P.

ive only had qu1ckn1cks hub that resisted removal due to spline damage 

other rotaflex hubs   just undo the nut and pull off the hub with fingers .......who said that 

you cant upset any float as replacing is just as simple feed hub on shaft tighten nut to around 100lbft   well thats a wrench without standing on it tight

the 12mm studs should pop in easy might need a old wheel nut and spacers to pull it home 

retorque wheel nuts after a few miles  i use 65lbft on 12mm studs 

pete

on rotaflex when you remove the nut and pull the hub thats all you get just the hub  all other stays in place ...unless you want to withdraw the shaft .  

same on a swing axle non rota but those hubs sit firmly attached to the taper on the shaft ,then a proper puller is essential  

rotaflex the hub fits on a straight spline , no gripping tapers ,.............. apart from Nicks which had spline damage 

pete