Vitesse Mk1 2Litre seat rails

daverclasper

Hi everyone.

Looked on net and manuals and can't find much on this.

My seat rails are bolted down over the carpet and underlay. Is this normal. The factory manual mentiones packing under bolts at front and rear.

Both seats were pretty unslidable.

I removed drivers side and bottom rail was bent a bit at front end. Have straightened out and now much better.

Is it easy to seperate bottom rail from top main body rail. All I can see in there is a quite chunky spring positioned sideways that moves along when sliding.

I would like to clean out and lube (anything cleaner than grease?).

Also I am wondering if bottom rail with the securing notches is back to front as there is about 3" of travel at rear where the sprung locating lever goes past the notches and therefore won't lock and 4 notches at front that are out of range of lever.

Sorry if this goes a bit.

Any advice, as always, much appriciated.

Cheers, Dave

Yes, you should be able to separate the seat sub-frame from the runners, but usually you will have to remove one of the fixing bolts (can't remember if front or rear).  

Without checking, I think the holes on the runners should be to the rear. It is not unusual for seats to be fitted incorrectly, and yes, the runners do get bent.

Fettling can be worthwhile. Runners, etc. should be clean with just a smidgen of grease, but the seats do get a bit sticky (not a problem for a one driver car).

C.

Edt:

Seat Fitting

Components and terminology:

Seat runners - fitted to the floor, have holes for the adjuster to register in. 

Subframe - runs on runners, includes adjuster lever on one side only.  Has two brackets on the front, each with two holes arranged ONE ABOVE the other.  On one side the bracket is square and straight, and on the other side the holes are set forward, so the bracket is shaped like a B.

Seat frame - on which seat is built.  Brackets at the front have two holes arranged ONE BEHIND the other. 

Seat runners should be fitted with holes to the rear,  fixed with 5/16" UNF bolts.  Captive nut on turret at the rear is FQ3406 (should be available from the usual suspects).

The subframes are handed: you should have a pair.  They should be fitted so that the adjuster lever is nearest the transmission tunnel.  This adjuster should mate with the holes in the seat runner (but won't if the seat runner has been fitted back to front).  This ensures that the holes on the bracket on the door side are a smidgen further forward than the transmission tunnel side, i.e. the B shaped bracket is nearest the door.

Choose between the high and the low hole on the seat subframe.  This adjusts rake and/or height (with blocks).  Use the foremost hole on the seat frame bracket for the door side (ie the side where the sub-frame holes are further forward) and the rearmost hole on the tunnel side.  This means that the seat sits square on the subframe.  The fact that the pivot point is slightly angled, means that when the seat is tipped forward, the top moves inwards and does not hit the A post/windscreen surround. 

Hope all that helps.

C.

Use the foremost hole on the seat frame bracket for the door side (ie the side where the sub-frame holes are further forward) and the rearmost hole on the tunnel side.  This means that the seat sits square on the subframe.  The fact that the pivot point is slightly angled, means that when the seat is tipped forward, the top moves inwards and does not hit the A post/windscreen surround. 

Now that's interesting! Mine are fitted using the same hole on each side.  :huh:

Dave,  The seats are NOT handed.  If fitted correctly a seat should reach the windscreen when tilted forward (because it avoids the A post)..

mishmosh - have you ever wondered why Standard Triunph didn't use crude bolts through the floorpan ?

C.

Its important that the seat frame drops square on the top of the runners

long bolt with a high quality reinfore plate under the floor may not be , original,

We are lucky the seats dont form any part of the seat belt constraint as the weeny spire/caged nut

would just part company in the slightest accident

belt and braces may not suit some of us but in the environment we all drive in there are some things which need uprating , same as some upgrade brakes or adding seats with head rests ,the whole safety aspect does have some reasonable sense

its all down to preference and ability

pete

• 3 weeks later...