Drivers door handle lock

s.leah

My lock has started playing silly wotsits  :(

Sometimes the entire button will just spin round and not lock or unlock the door. It seems to have come out a mm or so more than it should. I have to put the key in and hold the button just back in slightly for the key to then turn the lock without just spinning the entire button and not engaging with the mechanism.

Anyone had similar? Does it sound like an easy fix without replacing the handle? If I need a handle, can the lock barrel be easily changed to keep the same key?

"All these questions and more will be answered on next weeks episode........"  :D

Cheers

Simon

By button do you mean the barrel? Sounds like the circlip (Is it a circlip?) has come off the back. Here's a picture from Canley's

http://www.canleyclassics.com/y.asp?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500exteriordoorhandledetails.html&xsl=diagram.xsl&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=bodyfittings

It's an easy fix but you'll have to take the handle off and the trim inside the door. A lot of fiddly bits that can go ping and disappear!

So probably no need for new barrels, I think you'd have a problem getting the same key. Although, I've taken all my barrels apart and rearranged the tumblers so that one key works both my doors, rear hatch and petrol cap.

By button do you mean the barrel? Sounds like the circlip (Is it a circlip?) has come off the back. Here's a picture from Canley's

http://www.canleyclassics.com/y.asp?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500exteriordoorhandledetails.html&xsl=diagram.xsl&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=bodyfittings

It's an easy fix but you'll have to take the handle off and the trim inside the door. A lot of fiddly bits that can go ping and disappear!

So probably no need for new barrels, I think you'd have a problem getting the same key. Although, I've taken all my barrels apart and rearranged the tumblers so that one key works both my doors, rear hatch and petrol cap.

Thanks Doug, but mines a Herald 13/60 with a push button with the barrel inside the button, quite different to the one you linked to.

I have wondered if there is a circlip or nut that may have come loose.

The tappet screw in the end of the barrel has its locknut up against the end of the barrel, there is awasher to stop the barrel coming out, my guess is its all come loose

there must be a small gap between the screw head and the lock release lever it makes contact with.or the loc k can self open

alway make sure the striker on the b post has an operating slide wedge on its underside, as this stops any lift and helps stop doors popping open on roundabouts,

they get jammed up and the spring and wedge are rare

the spring end can break off , somengentle heat and reform it generally revitalises duff ones

pete