Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

Hello BFG

I went with 2kg  in 0.1g

I reasoned with 1g you could be the best part of 2 g out if one just under and one just over(but that is being picky)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2kg-0-1g-Mini-Electronic-Pocket-Digital-Gold-Weighing-Pans-Scales-Jewelry-Scale/312862741885?hash=item48d812957d:g:KWoAAOSwvGtd3VUw

Plus they are so cheap!

Roger

ps you need 2kg if you want to check total mass but I got rods all very very close and then  pistons then a bit of mix and match and you get  within a Knats Knacker!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mark powell said:

Good use of a Watling towbar!

Originally off a Chevrolet Orlando!!. The other end was courtesy of a Nissan Note!. ( you have to remove them from Lease Cars, before returning them) Put them on Flea bay, along with several others. But No Takers, so they have been "repurposed". The bracketing on the Outriggers is a Home fab tow bar for the Herald, which when complete with have a removable Tow Ball for my Erde Garden Trailer. But be normally not visible.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, JohnD said:

y-spam,

You sould have a lock-nut on the bolt to ensure it doersn't change length.

Can you adjust it in position from outside, in case you don't like where it sits?

See mine, page 1.

John

Sadly not adjustable in situ, nowhere near as posh as yours John, but it does the job. 

On 22/03/2020 at 07:55, JohnD said:

I like the non-damaging cap head bolt to face the piston. 

🙂

I did debate with myself putting a piece of rubber hose around the head or wrapping it in tape, but in the end I decided to take it gentle but be confident in consistent position/results.

I bought a pair of front Gaz adjustables recently and realised I had no safe way to fit them, in the past I have used dodgy spring tools and tension straps and these days I am well past that that carry on. I can open the side of my finger up with a teapot so just imagine what I am capable of doing in the garage!

A bit of research to see what others do and I made this out of my scrap steel supply.

As an aside it was cheaper to buy them in NZ than from the UK which was a bit of a pleasant surprise.

By leaving the tabs on the side it self supports in my vice till I clamp it up and by welding the nuts to the top of the thread I can use any spanner (probably air ratchet) to wind it down unlike the ones that have the thread fixed to the base and you can only use a spanner as the nut winds down the thread.

Obviously with this you will need clear space under the vice for the threads to wind down.

jMTFe40l_oNg6IQth1f6toyEaZElNahqU-2HXtjZ

Edited by ahebron
Photo not showing

On 29/09/2019 at 09:48, JohnD said:

Oh!  "Cleaning out your ears".    My ENT surgeon's advice was never to put anything in your ear smaller than your little finger!

J.

Mine was never anything smaller than your elbow.

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes useful if you live in Clovelly !!!

personally if sitting in the car i prefer ......SEATS       Ha !

well someone had to say it 

Pete

It's hard enough trying to weld in there as it is with everything stripped out. 🙂

High back USA seats will go in eventually.

Nice idea. I was using a Big Thick Cushion, came off of a redundant settee, if I recall. Though it is a good job it`s one of the "flame retardant" ones!!. Welding away and toasting one`s nether regions is not a recommended practice!. I have a Pair of MX5 seats to go in the Herald, assuming the mice in the shed have left them alone!

Pete

• Like 1

Ludwig that took me far to long to work out what it was you are doing.

I was looking at the photo thinking it was the front of the car not the back and that it was sitting between chassis rails not on the floor.

Therefore I could not tell what car it was or why you were doing it.

So please confirm it is a Spit/GT6 and that is the right hand side of the car looking back, if not I need help.🙄

I had better take my pills now😉

15 hours ago, ahebron said:

Ludwig that took me far to long to work out what it was you are doing.

I was looking at the photo thinking it was the front of the car not the back and that it was sitting between chassis rails not on the floor.

Therefore I could not tell what car it was or why you were doing it.

So please confirm it is a Spit/GT6 and that is the right hand side of the car looking back, if not I need help.🙄

I had better take my pills now😉

yep mk3 "GT6 and that is the right hand side of the car looking back "

you'll also notice there's no rear floor/suspension hump.

paul