Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

Bush removal tool made from 5/8 silver steel turned down and threaded 3/8 unf and a silver steel t-bar ; all hardened.

Scrap alluminium hollowed out to to metalwork and some brass washers turned. (no stock steel that size under bench)

Only thing not made from scratch is Mini head stud nut.

Assemble one way for insertion the other way round for removal.

David

image20200624_122655666.jpg

Just now, 68vitesse said:

Get rid of the horses.

Regards

Paul

Oh Gawd. I've to leave early tomorrow for some event or other in Comber, daughter and friend will 'socially distance' around a course and over a few jumps while I sleep in the car. I'm only going as she can't tow the horse trailer. I keep telling her that my hobby doesn't make her get up early or cause stress pulling a trailer, but that counts for nowt.

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Oh Gawd. I've to leave early tomorrow for some event or other in Comber, daughter and friend will 'socially distance' around a course and over a few jumps while I sleep in the car. I'm only going as she can't tow the horse trailer. I keep telling her that my hobby doesn't make her get up early or cause stress pulling a trailer, but that counts for nowt.

Ah, the life of a 'gofer'...  I'm booked to accompany SWMBO to a dressage clinic at Hickstead  next week.  Still got to fix the horsebox side load top flap.

Still, it's the first trip out since lockdown and my moral support might be worth some brownie points.

Just got back, not a bad morning, home by noon and the horse jumped well. The digger in the background had the hole dug in case it didn't... and as Mark says that's my brownie points restocked.

As for lathes... the in-laws have them all, I think they have every lathe in the country, so I suppose no point in buying a dog and barking myself... I'll sneak across to AJM Engineering in the afternoon and accidentally bring a few small pieces that need drilled or shaped...

DSCF9113.jpg.6721cc2d7f1b1eefe25f61b3caf8c29a.jpg

• Like 1

Colin and Mark, I feel for both you. I too had to get up early to tow two horses around. Payment was a cheese burger, cost was diesel. Now daughter has a partner who likes horses and now she drives herself around. This if good for me but I actually miss it now.

Now I do not get a burger but still pay for the landrover.

She returned the Landrover last week and yesterday borrowed it again.

Spent the week attempting to remove horse smell as she has just moved stables, and left some rubber matting in the car in the hot weather, repaired the strip around the step where she caught it on something.

Wait for car to be returned empty of fuel and continue getting rid of smell.

Graham

The horse is actually a device for generating large amounts of waste, so counts as a tool; it also creates brownie points with the in-laws, so gains the use of their professional machinery. It's also 'Tips and Tricks' so here's a tip: don't buy a horse, unless you like shovelling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

More flies, more flies and even more flies. I suspect these are the ones that stick to my bonnet after a good run, come to see where I am as they're fed up waiting by the roadside.

In recent weeks I've been taking a 6' x 4' trailer to the dump every day, and this is what still remains. Anyone want free compost?

DSCF9104.jpg.8232bc99c4b160b1b64eb18508405b19.jpg

...and on that note... back to the proper thread. It can't get any worse. Sorry, John. I suppose, in my defence, it's horse rather than my usual bull... :)

• Haha 1

Graham my daughter was more communicative than yours

Eons ago Di’d brought a New Mits coupe for running around the daughter returned from working with VW in Germany and needed a car to get to work with GMH so she purloined the Mits long term That was OK as wife and I had two other daily drivers.

Daughter moved out took the car with her and whilst driving to work one day she rings me “Dad your car needs a service can I borrow mum’s Jag whilst YOU get the Mits serviced!“

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 26/06/2020 at 20:06, Colin Lindsay said:

In my house it's: 'I need to take your car, there's no diesel in mine'...

I feel your Pain. Or more accurately my Mate, sadly deceased now did, he was working on a survey at the Steelworks in Sheffield (when they had some). Phone rings, daughter says "Daddy, car is out of petrol", reply "so go to garage and fill it up?". response, "I don't do petrol"!. "then you will have to walk". Click!!

Pete.

44 minutes ago, PeteH said:

I feel your Pain. Or more accurately my Mate, sadly deceased now did, he was working on a survey at the Steelworks in Sheffield (when they had some). Phone rings, daughter says "Daddy, car is out of petrol", reply "so go to garage and fill it up?". response, "I don't do petrol"!. "then you will have to walk". Click!!

Pete.

'Er in doors says a few months back: "Take my card and get a fill of diesel". That's very nice of her, so off I go, full tank and paid at pump using her card.

Next morning she's hopping mad. "My car is still empty."

So?

She said "take my car" not "take my card"...

One of the the benefits of being half deaf. :)

• Haha 6

On 17/12/2020 at 18:29, PeteH said:

Pete.

5db9874a96f36_spoiled.jpg.96eed9d08168bd5ab494de8b9a127c27.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About five years ago I had a need to spray some 2K paint. Everybody warned me how bad it was and that I had to use an air fed mash otherwise I would die.

I didn;t have an air fed mask. But I did have  a Turbo Inflator for the camping airbeds, garden hose and a plastic bag.

The plastic bag went over my head:o    The hose was strapped around my neck and pointing upwards. The Turbo inflator was pushed into the far end of the pipe down the garden on the lawn. This was powered by a Car battery.

The effect was quiet impressive. The bag inflated and stayed clear with the vigorous breeze passing by 

I never did take a picture.

And I didn;t die from either toxic substances, Suffocation from the bag or strangulation for the pipe attachment around my neck

What next...................

Roger