Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

This isn't car related, but we all have loo seats!  And I suppose many will have a seat that is loose on the bowl.   I certainly do, and it's disconcerting when concentration is essential.

They are usually fastened to the porcelain by bolts in the hinges, tightened by nuts behind.  Some are straight nuts, easy enough to tighten with a long socket, but some are wing nuts, that can only be tightened with the fingers.   Which may not be easy, when they are A/Behind the bowl, B/upside down, C/ in the dark and D/ are tiny little things you can't get a grip on, especially as they are buried up a porcelain tunnel!

I had one that persistently went loose, so I made this tool.    Length of tube, slot across one end for the wings, fits nicely.      First idea was to drill across the other end for a tommy bar, but access is limited, so I found an old bolt, threaded it into the other end and tack welded it in place, just in case I had to use it to undo a seat bolt.   Here's the result:

505270903_Looseatspanner.thumb.jpg.e97dc0e6b722a72b615029964a8eabc1.jpg

As the spanner shows, it's a small one - the bolt was only 4mm - but the idea is scaleable.

Hope that keeps you as you would wish to be, well-fixed on the flusher, poised on the porcelain, steady on the stool! (Stoppit!)

John

• Haha 1

Sadly two of mine are the ones that fit flush (no pun intended) to the wall, so when the seat works loose, you can't access the bolt heads underneath except by pulling it out from the wall, thereby ruining the sealant and probably stretching the plumbing connections too. I need a solution for that!

• 1 month later...

I tried that in an old metal toffee tin. Made a great heater. Not sure why??!!

Seriously, handy idea, but can I suggest that you put a bit of insulation tape over the bare terminals of the PP3 batteries. They are very easy to short out (metal watch strap etc) and get a bit spectacular if you do💥

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

My son did an apprenticeship as a Aircraft Mechanic and obviously he had to get good quality tools usually purchased from the local mobile "Snap on Tools" truck, one of his purchases was this stubby screwdriver set with a ratchet style torque lever, Pic1. The lever doesn't have a ratchet mechanism but what looks like a needle roller bearing which obviously has a mechanism that lets the needles lock onto the screwdriver 1/4in shaft pic2, the tightening or undoing simply occurring by rotating the spanner over 180 degrees.

I've had this tool around 10 years and as a screwdriver only used it 3 times, but always thought that it could be modified or extended to use on small 1/4in drive sockets. Well yesterday having put the rebuilt Sprint HS6 carbs back on I couldn't get to or adjust the choke adjustment screw and my usual rotating wheel ratchet couldn't fit SO I got an old cheap 1/4in extension rod cut it down to 1in long then put it into by drill chuck and turned the shaft down from 0.32in to an accurate 0.25in shaft dia using an old bastard & finer files, then smoothed it off with emery and after some fine trimming it worked, Pic3. The advantage of this needle bearing non ratchet wrench is it doesn't rely on having to move at least one cog but you can just move the nut a fraction of a rotation less than 1 degree if necessary. It was easy to fit and hold onto the adjusting screw and 2 min all fixed.

I haven't seen a mechanism like this before it obviously relies on the shaft dia being very accurate at 1/4in, but it's a dream to use and locks well and gives good purchase.

Original Stubby Screwdriver Ratchet Drive Kit.JPG

Ratchet End Drive of Spanner see Needle Type Bearing.JPG

PmbT DIY Modified Quarter in Drive Extension to fit Ratchet Spanner..JPG

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

My son did an apprenticeship as a Aircraft Mechanic and obviously he had to get good quality tools usually purchased from the local mobile "Snap on Tools" truck, one of his purchases was this stubby screwdriver set with a ratchet style torque lever, Pic1. The lever doesn't have a ratchet mechanism but what looks like a needle roller bearing which obviously has a mechanism that lets the needles lock onto the screwdriver 1/4in shaft pic2, the tightening or undoing simply occurring by rotating the spanner over 180 degrees.

I've had this tool around 10 years and as a screwdriver only used it 3 times, but always thought that it could be modified or extended to use on small 1/4in drive sockets. Well yesterday having put the rebuilt Sprint HS6 carbs back on I couldn't get to or adjust the choke adjustment screw and my usual rotating wheel ratchet couldn't fit SO I got an old cheap 1/4in extension rod cut it down to 1in long then put it into by drill chuck and turned the shaft down from 0.32in to an accurate 0.25in shaft dia using an old bastard & finer files, then smoothed it off with emery and after some fine trimming it worked, Pic3. The advantage of this needle bearing non ratchet wrench is it doesn't rely on having to move at least one cog but you can just move the nut a fraction of a rotation less than 1 degree if necessary. It was easy to fit and hold onto the adjusting screw and 2 min all fixed.

I haven't seen a mechanism like this before it obviously relies on the shaft dia being very accurate at 1/4in, but it's a dream to use and locks well and gives good purchase.

Recently bought a 3/8 "gearlessless" ratchet from Halfords, so yes, they are available. Still abvailable for £12 with tradecard,  but got mine in a sale for £7ish. Seems handy, but I have a slight worry about how much torque the mechanism will take. 

I had some gearless ratchet spanners, but they died, think cheapies from somewhere.

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

these are really good, it's one of those tools in the series of "when you need it, you need it" but probably won't use for another 10 years.

Screenshot_2020-11-14 Carvin DC127 , Upgraded bridge pickup , AAAA maple top , OHSC , sweet Nick W's Guitar Candy Reverb.jpg

I bought a set of these Finger Spanners in Imperial some years ago; great for very small spaces where a socket or spanner won't fit, but you can just squeeze a fingertip in. Saves trying to work in Braille with a nut between two fingertips up behind a dash or elsewhere where your head won't fit...

1206-Hexhold_finger_spanners.jpg.c9850014981f3fafec856a0697f8257e.jpg  1599174410_ScreenShot2022-01-09at10_58_55.jpg.212839b67977fc35f248a306760c955d.jpg

But something I bought on purpose and have used many times is this right angle drive.   It fits my 1/4" drive screwdriver that I use as a nut runner, and will take hex-shafted drills, so I've used it many times.

I have a larger, heavy duty one, that will go in my standard electric drill.  I think I've used that just once, but it solved the problem!

John

IMG_20220109_114117.jpg

is the last one a right angle drive I have a Dremmel one not used it yet. John never had much success with the  UJ sockets always seem to bind, maybe I expect to much, and put too greater angle on it.

The drawback of the gearless wrench is definitely the tolerances of the shaft it turns on as there must only be a slight displacement of the needle roller bearing/pins, too larger a shaft and it won't fit, too smaller and it'll slip around not grip, hence I spent so much time just getting it dead on at a neat 0.25in shaft dia. Don't think I'd use them over 1/4in sq drive, as otherwise the torque would be an issue.

IMG_5720.thumb.jpg.aaf211cdcdf3311eb0b2715091abbd50.jpgLast year a work colleague offered me a Jenny/Swage which he was selling on behalf of the widow of a friend. Me being a tool collector said yes straight away and was the proud owner of the new still waxed tool with 6 sets of rollers for NZ$200.
I put it away till this year knowing that I had an issue using it as my bench is over 100mm thick.
Last week I decided to resolve this so finding a suitable piece of steel I put it in the lathe and turned a socket to fit the base spigot and cut a 150mm long piece of 40mm x 3mm SHS as my vice is 150mm wide. Welded the two together and painted them.
This then created a problem of how to drive the Jenny as the handle hits the anvil area of my vice. I made an adaptor using an old 1/2 drive Sidchrome 9/16 socket which will be able to use the ratchet/tommy bar, air rattle gun, air ratchet or a hex to 1/2 sq/dr adaptor to use with a battery drill.

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5719.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg