Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

17 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Wouldn't the weight of the handle and any extension have to be included in the calculation or is that being to pedantic.

Regards

Paul

Yes, to both.

As said above, I only doscovered that my wrench was way, way out after I had ruined a block.     The weight of the handle is trivial, and the weight of an extension insignificant, in the face of a 60% error!

J.

23 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

John,

What does the fly wheel weigh, is that a known or did you use the bathroom scales? 

I used a 25kg bag of water softener salt held in a handy bag M&S gave me to hold my washable suit in the machine. 

Doug

Correct.    But I knew the weight because it had a label on it - see pic.

I've done some important torquing and checked my wrench as above - spot on!

For many torquing duties, I admire the "beam" torque wrench:

812497801_Beamtorquewrench.jpg.789030f12f3d80f78ff4ec1941732725.jpg

Nothing to go out of adjustment!

John

Here's one that doesn't work!

It was inspired by a video of Jaguar engines being assembled.    The technician plugged a pair of guide rods into the bolt holes of the con rods' big ends, so that as it was introduced into the bore, it went straight down, and they went either side of the crank journal.    No risk of scoring the bore or the journal!  Neat!

So I bought some Teflon rod, also guaranteed not to score, cut it to length and threaded the ends - Teflon is great to work, easy to cut/ thread, flexible but still stiff enough for this job.     BUT, the offset angle of the Triumph big end meant that I had to cut the top rod shorter and shorter, to fit it down the bore,   When it did fit, the upper rod was no more than a stub, and it really doesn't protect anything.

Start

1895735830_Bigendrods(2).JPG.4b4933d985d6cb114fda82c59ba28522.JPG

After trimming to fit

449249517_Bigendrods(7).JPG.706996df4bec33a5e3b089769a6c7544.JPG

Ho, hum, even geniuses have off days - and the rest of us certainly do!

BUT!    New project  will run MaxSpeeding rods, which have a straight-across big end split.    The Teflon rods work fine with them!

AND!  Everyone knows that if you fit a 2L sump to a 2.5L engine, for a VItesse/GT6, you have to beat out a channel in the floor of the sump, to clear big ends 1 and 2.    Uh, uh!   NOT for MaxSpeeding rods!   They clear it, no probs!    

John

• 4 weeks later...

I was just on the TR forum saying that I would like to find a cheap (used ?) tool to make stiffening ribs and the anti-drum insets in flat sheet panels,  for example ribs in the floor panels and the odd shaped insets in the inner wing panels.    20 minutes later I received the following (and I think brilliant) suggestion .. 

.. " this video regarding dual-sided dieless forming (hammer and block to you and me)  Maybe an air hammer and a slotted lump of steel or hardwood would work.? "

Well  I'm already quite handy with a hammer and dolly but never thought to power the process.  I'll have to play with this..,   I have a big reciprocating cut-off saw and also a number of reciprocating hacksaws either of which might be adapted. ;)

..I might need to invest in new ear defenders though !

Pete

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

The frog in a brick is a useful mould, if you prefer to ply the hammer yourself, and easily replaced if it gets "worn" (read 'broken').

10 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

brick frogs good for  when using blow lamps

poor little frogs :o

• 1 month later...

not home made, but for home use . .

Any recommendations for what or where to buy digital scales for balancing the weight of con-rods and pistons etc.

I'd guess 1/10th or 1/4 of a gram would be accurate enough for a road car,  but what's the weight of forged steel conrod, with cap + 87mm piston, rings and gudgeon pin ? 

Thanks Pete

BFG,

On ebay there are over five THOUSAND "digital pocket scales" for sale on eBay.    I cannot imagine why so many people want to be abe to weigh up to 2kgs in 1 gram steps, on a scale small enough to keep in their pocket, can you?     Whatever, you are spoilt for choce at the lowest prices, as no doubt they tell their customers.

If you want to weigh down to 0.1gram, 100milligrams. that's about two hundred grains of granulated sugar, you can.   It''ll cost you more, but 1gram is sufficiently accurate.

John

• Thanks 1