Home-made Tools and those you've adapted or modified. And also "tips and tricks".

Bfg

13 hours ago, ahebron said:

Somewhere in a box I have a set of Herald film strips, some 45's.

They must be worth a star from teacher?

I must dig them out and scan the film strips

We're getting close to superstar status here! 

They're not the Training Manual films are they? Those are the Holy Grail of Heralds as I've never seen them, and would love to watch.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We're getting close to superstar status here! 

They're not the Training Manual films are they? Those are the Holy Grail of Heralds as I've never seen them, and would love to watch.

You mean these ones ?

You need a special projector to show them, they are half frame 35mm.

However, to disappoint some of you, the film strips are just a set of pictures that are the same as the illustrations in the training manuals.

IMG_2573.jpg

Awwww that's one of my illusions shattered. I half expected someone with an awfly-awfly accent talking about the various parts and pointing at a diagram with a very long cane.

I have the books but not the films, and will be using the body section shortly to put a Herald back on the chassis. Or would be if this lockdown thing would blow over.

A teacher, a long cane?

Where is Pete when you need a comment?

My first Haynes manual 1984 is in bit in the boot of the spitfire, another on a shelf in the lounge.

Numerous manuals, plus Ring binder BL WSM for spitfire.

Also a CD, you never need another manual, for a GT6 which can't be read on any modern computer. 

Graham

im trying to find something to watch on TV and as usual for a saturday ...given up  

teacher and cane reminds me of school  but can was not for pointing ...more more correction after mis conduct 

amongst my manuals i have a Overlay presentation which builds and explains the BRM 16 cyl 1.5 litre engine  and a prototype work shop manual for a 

Humber Scout car is now with the Rootes heritage 

pete

Well here are mine, the first photo is the small chassis Triumph stuff and the second one is big and small saloon, Stag and TR. I have been through and made stick on labels for the sides of the cans for the missing labels.

I have run them through my Wolverine F2D Titan Scanner and find they scan best as a slide positive 126kpk so I must get round to scanning them when I get the time😉

Unlabelled can is steering. Microfiche covers Herald 12/50, 13/60 and Vitesse Mk2

-AXl7C4lW3jdWLnQM-HcaZmhEnzKJ9MvQSLVS3cF2Sm1k-knfzbzNXCFJLjwWOqaSfqy1Vk5TOlvg2-SCn0BdcyNIXtGpuVmVsUvEes_wckGgFjenwlrab6lZSAI0QFwrUPmkatcAPzztOMLjRsq4hSzpsCNrmO8-YkWaQwOdzFifAdoezpknABSppH3g-X6t_MlV0Kie8AGZ4eBb5jZUOyYZWBgSYgVxP4ag4O8l0haJcgrS7C8VTRse2vCgXYj66t46dZYnOp__ZLfrSQ2-vWPawETxNSBZmdzBZUMWZ_-PmX66hycvrk8mWiObX9uaDpaYDcqKnUjyFoySXXjHwdUlXn6HOvuMAedz7014hUHHilEdUYs1e2bRutE2oI8_q6PwLNfhA1rpBETd8Q3b67aRqm8pfsKAd_HmNPS4SgKg86d-EjHbOnihDhA02-_i01BQ8OrqvCPRsJDs3jHW33G_h6OA6Reps2HdSwk7TpdnvqEq25nKpo6_fl6psbQ4kCKpzdd5u6osZ700kzngeepYDeGj-sbAQim1cLRrp96giCnzhm9D4sScgYncP6_FX3dsEO7xcPW06QT5VbV9UgdUGcOuFqnXlAvGoqFzpDFuFdRY4gHYtZllja-Tp8pH_1lX8Li3G6axxPjkLJWY2OozF62qqqa8oH1ehGwKiP6kK37ugfFvdAh9PuPFw=w1895-h1227-no

Yysy-JdyUAVFXwvI1Y6hLrpQHYFeduhLFoI8JPSih1JLdR-a5EaRFernvRgqzTbqm0kSMI9kTP8MKvC7CDO91bdzv3g2rOS9f43cPsOXP2eS3Yjqpozawsj33Rc28Yk5IhGn-4acIZMw_yGgyduO1pQo0ppN52ABgs9Lzfv6b5U3_o8JRBnAdhzObq9Y06gk1KhXA6PSib9Sw9o9LGzFKg8cuqK_Z1lJ5t5ertp7VIaFcYB3QlSOMzC-y2VYmZ_glYJmDndDXdmikDp_mgjbTHi34BmDZOt2-tO1K4zDNraitDtUXI00niXqd6hdN678iz5K2k0iEO1mSyXarlUnvLDtnTAVdJdfsTpmD7GwG9v7t6CFqg8BTKiXjMdvxq4WESiluVWIjkGtg1fdutHAHD470jD7jz1X6QN4M-3SKGcaWRHc02qfZ5uRe4cPKJ2YZSssnLRu6v-KLtHkuYbAOAesDN8aCLPuhuz2hk6e5u9gqpj4cqoYyhQ9thSDBM_4bUWXG0bO5zLccAkv-bVpy8vwsTDYxINXXXyfLHc36XSgtE_sCOZHqmXOeHr72SM5DmKA4vk6qw2n0PO-y60l2rzRVI4CKJC9q6kgG8p8Uwvi6Qc3Xv4AGiUtuCoNi1FzwHDqZNaMpehImSgIMkbq6Jy6amUOo1qtM2IIzGnihXdzdM7RDMrFK5_PiqKcVA=w1637-h1229-no

There is an awful lot of historic training material out there.  The TSSC HQ museum has a good collection.

The one thing I have never seen is the actual projector used to present the film strips - they must be really really rare.

Yes, they worked that time. If you hover over the images and look at the link in your browser's hint bar (bottom of window in Firefox) you'll see that the ones that don't work have a "googleusercontent" URL while the ones that do work are on "content.invisioncic.com"

1 hour ago, ahebron said:

Lets try again.

It worked that time. Brilliant stuff, worth hanging onto. I love it for the nostalgia factor as much as any information contained in it.

There was a 1960s half-frame projector on eBay recently, minus bulb, for about £12. I've got an old overhead projector but no idea how slides would work on it.

Do you remember the old projectors with the plate on the underside; it dropped down, you put a photo on it and then raised it again and it projected the image, usually upside down? 

Hi

No. But ask me about fische and I will throw something at you!. Spent hours scanning, only to find the one I wanted had been, filched, or destroyed. OR best of all, any text was in Japanese!. It`s a good job that B&W marine diesels are the same where ever they are manufactured, Germany or Mitsubishi.!!

We used to have Manuals, Big book things that showed how it was put together and some details of clearances etc; You know the  thing. Then, some "bright spark" thought Ah! we put all on Fische!. Then you spend hours watching a small screen trying to work out which bit goes where!. And when the "Bulb" blows. Ah! no one thought of carrying a spare. At least a weeks steaming, from nearest land?

As this is also "tips and tricks", thought this may be useful for any other cheap skates out there.

Drivers seat on Vitesse was pretty saggy. Bought new diaphragm from Paddocks (£14.00), this is a bit of a faf to fit, as needs 10 new holes drilling in base frame. I think it's a MG diaphragm, though sold for Triumphs with a frame mod.

My foam was also a bit crumbly and probably lost some cushion effect.

Got a piece of thrown away sofa cushion. After experimenting with different thickness I used about 1", cut to fit front to back, though about 2" short on each side (as the sides/bolsters still seemed firm). This fits between diaphragm and bottom of old foam.

Not back in car yet, though seems a big improvement in comfort (watched some telly on it, well, I'm missing driving car) and looks a lot better.

Dave     

Edited by daverclasper

ref the seat diaphragm my Dolly Sprint one failed and I didn't like the thought of adapting another models to suit ie unreinforced holes reqd. So I used simple 9in long heavy duty all rubber moulded bungees.

The attached photo is self explanatery but I have installed another 2 bungee in both directions to stiffen the seat up, no holes were required to be drilled the hooks either used the existing holes or simply hooked over the seat frame tubes. The cost of all the bungees from our Bunnings ultra big hardware chain was around $36A.

it was meant as a temp fix but I'm going to stay with it! Oh the normal seat webbing shown was removed

Peter T

Trumans Dolly Seat Repair.jpg

• Like 2

I do, I will, but the eyelets are a lot stronger & bigger that the std diaphragm holes.

There cheap enough and easy to buy that like tyres they can be changed at 5 year intervals. They have been there 4 years now and show no sign of failure even with the Aus heat.

Peter T

So it's not homemade and only very slightly modified... but this is REALLY useful.

It's a Land Rover skinny prop-shaft socket. 9/16" AF on a 3/8" square drive. With the tiniest fraction ground off the socket end it's BRILLIANT for getting to the manifold nuts on a Spitfire engine. (And it's also useful for the driveshaft flanges at the diff)

2064403294_2014-09-0420_43_21.thumb.jpg.bd3df2d2ddced1d4569a9c3d95b67740.jpg

Another tip - don't throw out packaging from anything electrical - the cardboard or expanded polystyrene makes an excellent workstation for dismantled units; this is the cardboard from a deep fat fryer and it has all sorts of little sections for the bits you take off; in this case a Herald petrol pump. Keeps all the parts together and when you're finished you'll know if you have any parts left over by mistake, and if you drop anything it lands in the same container rather than bouncing all over the floor and ending up forty feet away.

DSCF8374.jpg.dbaf17dfef5eb74b9b59468aa4e356a7.jpg

The cardboard works better than the deep fat fryer does, by the way. Tefal Maxifry. Avoid them.

• Like 1