vitesse diff

theestimator

Following info from Dave Rumens I have discovered that during a build in 2007 a Herald diff was put into my Mk 2 Vitesse and now I am wondering if there is any other diff with 3.27 ratio that will fit as when I try and purchase an exchange one the sellers are not interested in a herald diff and want be to buy outright.(750 to 1000).. I live in the North of Scotland but willing to travel to pickup the correct diff>  Thanks  Gordon Corbett

11 minutes ago, theestimator said:

Following info from Dave Rumens I have discovered that during a build in 2007 a Herald diff was put into my Mk 2 Vitesse and now I am wondering if there is any other diff with 3.27 ratio that will fit as when I try and purchase an exchange one the sellers are not interested in a herald diff and want be to buy outright.(750 to 1000).. I live in the North of Scotland but willing to travel to pickup the correct diff>  Thanks  Gordon Corbett

11 minutes ago, theestimator said:

Have you checked EBay theres several on there , they might need work 

Paul 

1 hour ago, theestimator said:

Hi, I take it that you realise that a 3.27 ratio unit is not the standard one for a Vitesse? They had a 3.89 installed on all 2L models and versions..... 

12 hours ago, theestimator said:

Being in Sconny Botland I'd have thought Chic Doig would be relatively close to you (unless you're really far North), he should have a good selection of second-hand ones.

Thanks and I do live in the north - when travelling at 50 mph my rev counter is showing just over 4000 revs and this has been verified and drivers of vitesse at car shows confirm that they rev below 3000 at 50mph. Will accept any ratio as long as the diff is right for a vitesse mk2. Will also check out chic dog

Thanks for all help given as I am a doddery 70 yr old but enjoy the vitesse so much

Estimator (may we know your real name, please?)

4K at 50mph?  That's 12.5mph/1000rpm  

A 4.11:1 diff would give you 16mph/1K (50mph at 3K, as others have found) and a 3.27:1 gives 20.15mph/1K

So what on earth do you have?   Even the very rare Courier diff at 4.55:1  gives 14.5mph/1K

4K at 50mph inplies a diff ratio of about 5:1!     There ain't no such beast!

Have you measured your diff ratio on the car?    Simple to do, if you will take off the gearbox cover.    

On a flat surface, mark the rear tyre next to the ground.    Now push the car along until the wheel has made one rotation.      While doing this your assistant (or you if you have a strong, gullible assistant) should sit in the car and count the rotations of the output flange of the gearbox.

Just over 4 rotations  - 4.11:1 ratio diff.

Just under four - 3.89

Just over three and a half - 3.69

Just over three - 3.27

I expect you will find that you have one of these, and don't need a new diff at all!    Then you must find why your engine is over-revving - clutch slip?? - or why your rev counter is misreading.   Is the latter cable-driven or is it electric?

Good luck!

John

Well from all this its pretty certain this is not a diff  ratio problem thats barking up the  wrong tree

Has to be some duff speedo or tacho  calibration problem.

Can you check the speedo on a sat nav , bear in mind a speedo can read fast by 10%+4mph  so at  true  60 it  can read 70on the clock

Duff rev counter is looking very likley

Pete

Thanks and I do live in the north - when travelling at 50 mph my rev counter is showing just over 4000 revs and this has been verified and drivers of vitesse at car shows confirm that they rev below 3000 at 50mph. Will accept any ratio as long as the diff is right for a vitesse mk2. Will also check out chic dog

Thanks for all help given as I am a doddery 70 yr old but enjoy the vitesse so much

1540 hrs 

Speedo checked via satnav and is ok and my mate that has a mk 2 saloon tried his rev counter and readings showing the same as my own in my car over 4000 revs at 50mph. 

Thanks for all excellent replies and will try and have ratio checked via John's way

Thanks

Pete  Yes rev counter showing 3.55:1 and no the clutch is not slipping. The car drives very good and is responsive : when ttravelling from shows and sitting at 50mph (con via sat nav) the revs are just over 4000 and engine sounds as if should be going faster. Last trip I had vitess saloon in front sitting at 50 for few miles - his revs were short of 3000 and mine 4000 +

Thanks once again and will check all answers out

Thanks Pete but no mini wheels - when that car was renovated by a Halifax they replaced most of the parts with Herald parts ie dizzy, fuel pump, brakes etc etc but confirmed that it is the original engine according to the DVLA /Heritage sheet so really the car is as normal apart frpm slow/noise etc etc but will check out ideas given first week

Thanks once again

Think i would ignor  that list  a Herald   Dizzy  Noooo  !!!

4cyls  and no  tacho  drive 

Without a way of checking engine speeds , at a nice tickety over  idle what does the  tacho  show 

Whats the spec number stamped in  the dizzy body???   It  can have  the wrong  drive fitted

Pete

I've just got up and read the full discussion, what a quandary, with flippancy  could I suggest put an overdrive in then the figures would nearly add up ie revs and speed, the revs should drop around a quarter!

what is the engine noise like at the indicated 4000 rpm, at 3000 bearable at 4000 getting a little busy! & forget the radio.

I know you tried a friends alternative mech tacho but do you have access to an elect tacho & temp wire it in to confirm revs, easy done.

What other Brit cars used a mech tacho driven off the distributor as Pete says has it been switched?

I recently converted a Spit Smiths Mech tacho instrument ($20 off fleabay) from mech to electronic with a cheap Chinese aftermarket tacho $10 delivered, hence keeping the face, needle and instrument correct, works great and I can switch between 4, 6 and 8 cylinders. I should buy a couple of spare elect drives!

Peter T

Hi Pete etc etc

Thanks for all the advice given but will get gearbox cover off and try and check the ratio.  With regards to the dizzy it was a new dizzy from the club along with a new cable and already have swapped the rev counter and while his runs almost 1000 revs slower in his it jumps up to 4000 revs at 50 when in mine and my rev counter in his runs at slightly less that 3000 revs so hence reason i am not looking at rev counter

Going to follow some of the advice given - because not an exchange unit sellers are asking around the £800 price which is outwith my pension

Thanks again for all help given

There is a 4.875 diff available, but I would not expect it to last behind a 2 litre.

Something sounds fishy about the restoration,, I wonder if they just dropped the 6-cyl into a 948 Herald. Especially as you say it now has Herald brakes, hopefully not drums at the frnot.

If you have a friendly local garage they may plug it into their MOT exhaust tester as that will have a RPM readout that ought to be pretty accurate.