dashboard veneer attachment...

ChrisTasmania

The mk2 Vitesse is being reassembled and even putting pretty bits back on. The dashboard is about to be reinstalled, first attaching the wooden veneer panel to the fibre dash. I bought a 'dash fitting kit'  which consists of 6 long-ish wood screws and 6 cup-washers, but there is nothing that I can fathom for them to screw into.... The parts book shows a nut and lock washer on the screws. So how does the wooden dash attach to the fire board on a mk2 Vitesse?

Thanks in advance as usual.

Chris

i

On my Mk1 Vitesse I used chromed raised head countersunk electric socket screws which are 3.5M with the countersunk washers and lock washers and nuts on the back. Think the original where crosshead, these where slot, perhaps not any help where you are.

The washers for the front just sit in the countersink, you could use a spire nut on the back with a suitable self tapper.

Regards

Paul

4 hours ago, ChrisTasmania said:

The dashboard is about to be reinstalled, first attaching the wooden veneer panel to the fibre dash. So how does the wooden dash attach to the fire board on a mk2 Vitesse?

The long chromed screws go through both wood and surround and a spire nut / lock washer tightens at the rear. That's it! It doesn't attach to any of the bodywork. I usually fit the surround first and route the cables and wiring before adding the wooden front; that way you're less likely to damage the veneer.