Vitesse 6 Solex to Stromberg carb swap?

soundrediscovery

Yes or No is the question really.....

As I will have to refurbish the Solex carbs and all of the rubber hoses and the connections to the air box, I wonder if it may just be simpler (I like simple) and lower long term maintenance to change.

I think I read somewhere that it is a straight swap, and by coincidence I have a pair of Strombergs in the boot with pancake filters.

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcomed.

the easy  way is to fiit a mk1 2 ltr manifold and a pair of good CD150 strombergs this alone will raise the \BHp from 70 to around 82

needle  7B   mine was converted way back and proves a worthwhile change.

pancakes best avoided you wont get a stromberg needle to make the mixture correct, keep the std air box and paper filters.

1600 uses a CD150 but must have NO internal damper spring but must have the heavy weight damper ring 

some  limited spec is shown on the burlen site   http://zenithcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/spares/id/4010/

Pete

New to forum but this year a Spitfire MK3 driver for 25 years  :)  Now a friend asked me to look at his Spitfire which has fitted a 1600 Vitesse engine with twin Stromberg 125. He says that from 4000RPM there's no real grunt from the engine.The car stood for some 7 years and I had to clean out the carburettors. I saw the diameter of the carb outlet is smaller then the inlet manifold. Could it be that there is a manfold fitted that can hold Stromberg 150? I was triggered by the photo that was attached by Pete, and this manifold looks the same as on this Spitfire.

Joep

there were some after market kits around with a variety of manifolds and adaptors to take CD125's  to replace the strangled solex's

the factory fitted the mk1  2ltr manifold and CD150 as  OE std in later 1600 life  never the 125 

on a 1600 its easy to make up an link to continue with the rod throttle and simple brackets to keep the early header tank.

also you need the later coolant bypass tube , not on mine as the 6-3-1 gets in the way , so this was bypassed with a hose .

after much messing around with needles and springs the std basic spec was best even with the extractor and ram stacks inside the orig paper filters

which need some surgery to make them fit .

Pete

post-14-0-44314900-1430665182_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your replies! Going to check needles and report back. There are also K&N filters fitted. From my own experience (Spitfire) I know that these require richer needles than the standard ones. Do you think it's best to put back original paper filter?

Is there a part number stamped on the manifold? Can someone tell me what number it is for a CD150 and for a CD125 setup?

measure the carb portholes  150 = 1.5"    125 = 1.25"

we tried pancakes  and there was a thought to use 13/60 needles but it was hopeless

stick to the std filter and std needles  and damper weight was the best we ever achieved  even with the 631 

tried 2ltr needles and a variety of springs  but all too rich 

any filter away from the std paper element will struggle to find a needle to suit , there's not the range available

and pancakes make for noisy induction , when you want a crisp exhaust , to put a smile on.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate all the advice on this as Pete's increase in BHP is immediately interesting.

So I guess the next Q is whether or not the same manifold and set up was across all the 2 litre 6 cylinder Triumphs as pricing of second hand manifolds with Strombergs varies greatly.

I am in no particular rush to make the switch as the recent major service has greatly improved running (albeit the fuel gauge shows empty when it is full and vice versa :D) - it is a case of deciding what my priorities are and whether I want to move away from something which at the moment is 95% original.....

• 3 months later...

This 64 1600 had many triumph upgrades, she's shown on the club face book page advertising show cars,

yes before we knew were to fix one decided to shortennthe battery tray and move it left , to fit the servo in

the real place is left to right a cross top of clutch cyl this servo fed type 16 calipers and mintex 1144 pads ,,, stops on a sixpence

she had 631 pheonix collectors 2"exhaust , single club semi sports for 1600/herald sounds awsome

crisp and on song, not a dull droning bark.

the ram pipes were a bit of a bodge inside the filters but made a improvement

the list of upgrades was pretty endless...why did I sell her !!!!!!!

We really needed 4 doors for a load of old cogders and a bigger boot for me slippers

pete

• Like 1