Hi people. Triumph 2.5 Estate?

Hello all. I am a newbie here, so apologies in advance if I have put this into the wrong area of the Forum! My name is Mike Oldham, & I am looking for advice/help regarding buying a Triumph.

I currently have a “Modern” estate car which requires no involvement to drive, is seriously over complicated, & which is now starting to cause problems, with error codes & faults that are hard to resolve. To be fair, the car has been good until recently, but current repairs look like they will cost more than the car is worth. Enough is enough!

I know my way around cars, & am happy to work on them. I have a passion for classic cars from the 70’s & 80’s, & own a Mk1 Golf GTi which I have owned since new & restored a couple of years ago. I have also built a couple of kitcars in the past, one of which we still have.

Sanity has finally prevailed, & now that I am retired(ish), I have decided that I could/should have a classic estate car to replace the “Modern” It would be far more satisfying to drive, but would need to be a realistic proposition for daily use, with room for the wife, & 2 dogs, plus have good support regarding marque knowledge & supply of spares. It also needs to be user friendly to work on!

Giving it some thought, the obvious choice would be a Triumph 2.5 estate, either the PI or S, being well equipped, would keep up with modern traffic, cruise on the motorway, be comfortable on long journeys, & they look so right! They are also a car that will carry the 2 dogs, & that my wife would be very happy to be seen in! (Not a point to be underestimated!)

Having made the decision & started to investigate, I now find that these seem to be somewhat rare! (Compared to when I last looked a couple of years ago).

As said, providing the car is realistically priced, I am not concerned too much about the mechanical side of things, & do not mind if the car is “Cosmetically challenged!” However, I do not want a weld-fest, as my welding skills are not great, & I do not want to go back to college to learn!

So, am I being realistic? Will the car perform ok within modern traffic, & be a realistic reliable proposition for day to day use? If so, do they exist?!

I had thought that I could perhaps pick up a car that needed some work for perhaps 4k. Do you think that is possible, or am I being silly?

Finally (of course), if I am being realistic, does anybody know of such a car that could be for sale?

Mike.

Hi Tony.

Saw this earlier. Am tempted, especially as it was featured in a classic car mag for a while.

Trouble is, I really want either a PI or S, for the performance & gadgets. Possibly being fussy? But really want either if possible.

Differences between TC and S are not too much, and if it is bodily good, that far outweighs everything else!

big Saloons ( and Estates) hide rot incredibly well, and by the time it I see really noticeable it may well be too late.

I would be straight off to look at that TC if I wanted one.

Fit a rev counter, a set of alloys and you almost have an S.

May need a cam or compression upgrade, some had same engine as the S.

cheers

12 hours ago, Mikeo632 said:

Hi Tony.

Saw this earlier. Am tempted, especially as it was featured in a classic car mag for a while.

Trouble is, I really want either a PI or S, for the performance & gadgets. Possibly being fussy? But really want either if possible.

I know what you mean Mike, I have a 2000 and a 2500s both saloons...... I looked for 2years before i found a decent "s" so you could be in for a long wait for an "s" estate. The ebay one might be a good stop gap whilst you keep looking :) 

Tony.

Hi all, sorry for the recent silence, I've been juggling time.

Great advice, which I can really understand.....So much so that part of the juggling enabled me to go & view the 2500TC. Seems like an incredibly honest car, loads of info on line from when it was a Classics Monthly staff car (2016-18). Lots of important work done, found 2 small holes underneath, needs TLC & is scruffy but sound.

So I am now the proud owner! Collecting Saturday.

Now the fun starts...Is there anyone in the club that would offer an evaluation, to see what needs doing urgently/less urgently/when time allows?

Sitting here with a BIG smile!

Mike.

47 minutes ago, Mikeo632 said:

Hi all, sorry for the recent silence, I've been juggling time.

Great advice, which I can really understand.....So much so that part of the juggling enabled me to go & view the 2500TC. Seems like an incredibly honest car, loads of info on line from when it was a Classics Monthly staff car (2016-18). Lots of important work done, found 2 small holes underneath, needs TLC & is scruffy but sound.

So I am now the proud owner! Collecting Saturday.

Now the fun starts...Is there anyone in the club that would offer an evaluation, to see what needs doing urgently/less urgently/when time allows?

Sitting here with a BIG smile!

Mike.

Well done Mike, you will have an even bigger smile when you start driving it :) 

Tony.

joint CT and TSSC meet is every first Monday of the month at the Plough Fen Ditton (https://www.theploughfenditton.co.uk/). From Ely A10 down to A14 turn East and take the next exit to Fen Ditton!

Next meeting will be the 4 Nov. Friendly group of Triumph and classic owners who always like to see a new local car.

Mike