TPMS for tyre pressure

Hi,

Now that Trye Pressure Monitoring Systems are costing around £25.00 I purchased a kit.

I originally purchased the type that replaces the valve caps with the four transmitters.

The units are totally wireless. The colour fag packet sized display charges from available light. I have never had to connect the supplied USB cable to charge it.

I can now see the tyre pressure of each of the four tyres while in the car. The temperature of the sensor is also displayed.

You can set upper & lower pressure setpoints to alert you via the unit chirping. Temperature aswell.

Now you can:

Watch the tyre pressure increase as you drive.

Watch the temperature influence the tyre pressure.

Notice that the sun shining on your tyres increases the pressure by a couple of PSI. (Or Bar) 

Notice how sunlight increases the temperature of your tyres in C or F.

Get paranoid when all your tyres show different readings.

The sensors are accurate as confirmed by a calibrated gauge.

After 8 months the CR1632 cells were flat. P.O.P to change. Not surprised as the whole system was £25. Spent a fiver on new quality cells. Happy days.

I was worried that some scum kids would steal the valve caps but has not happened. Maybe the locking nuts (kak quality) included in the kit prevented this.

I have now purchased the internal sensor types that looks a work of art in aluminium. The valve stems and caps alone must be worth 25 quid. Will have these fitted with quality cells when I have the wheels painted and tyres dismounted.

Everybody should fit them!

Cheers,

Iain.

Best thing I have bought this year.

• Like 2

sounds a good idea my experience with alloy valve stems is use a plastic valve cap as the metal one corrode on to despair and wreck the stem trying to remove them , maybe things have improved 

you are supposed to check tyre pressures at least weekly 

many recent cars have dumped this idea and use disparity in ABS ring signals but by the time its worked out the tyre is often wrecked

as its a long time before you get the warning up.

pete

The whole metal valve cap and metal stem corrosion is still going strong! Had to use a cutter in my Dremmel to remove the valve caps on my Mercedes. Mind you, if I'd checked the tyre pressures weekly probably wouldn't have been an issue!

Gully

Hi,

learnt early on to use corrosion block on alloy valve caps. Stupid to fit them without. Galvanic corrosion and all that.

Using tyre RPM to determine tyre pressure seems a novel but problematic solution. Cost I guess & misguided programmer. TPMS is superior IMHO.

For 25 quid I see no better way to get an accurate, reliable and fast update on tyre pressure & temperature. 

Cheers,

Iain.

47 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

No thanks, Iain, I have enough grey hairs. They don't call them worry gauges for nothing.

Oh dear, there must be a major problem the front nearside tyre is 0.1°C hotter than the rear offside one, plus there is a pressure difference of 0.01 psi!

I can live without knowing that, so can the car. When checking tyre pressures are we certain that we inflate them to exactly the same pressure, I don't have a pressure gauge certified to be correct to 1/10th of a psi.

I don't have any hair that isn't already grey, including my beard!

I will have to think of something else for my Xmas list. 📝

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Just For Men Just For Men Shampoo In Hair Colour (Real Black) 1 Application - 011509049353 now look what youve started 

Whatever happened to Grecian 2000? It used to be all the rage. Never tried it myself...!

If you ever saw what happens to tyres during every day driving - distortion, flex, and extremes of temperature - you'll be happy to live in ignorance and just keep them inflated and with good tread, like I do. You can buy advanced valve caps that will vent excess pressure if the air in the tyres expands too much due to heat, but then it has to be replaced when they cool down again...

I have the "Tyre Pal" System fitted to the Motorhome. The Readout sits on top of the dash and battery is maintained by a small Solar Panel. At close to 4t on the road I feel it is worthwhile.

Saved me when I had a front brake partly seize, This raised the Tyre Temp and the warning "bleat" alerted me to the issue. Normally The Failure of the tyre would have been the first indication, OR, the brake fade due to overheating. Probably paid for itself on that first and so far only occasion.

Pete

8 hours ago, Chris A said:

Oh dear, there must be a major problem the front nearside tyre is 0.1°C hotter than the rear offside one, plus there is a pressure difference of 0.01 psi!

I can live without knowing that, so can the car. When checking tyre pressures are we certain that we inflate them to exactly the same pressure, I don't have a pressure gauge certified to be correct to 1/10th of a psi.

I don't have any hair that isn't already grey, including my beard!

I will have to think of something else for my Xmas list. 📝

3PSI change from start to end of the journey. My rears always need topping up. Temperature changes are a lot more. Best you set the high and low setpoints and only act on the bleating! 

6 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I love it! Another gauge 😀

Iain, what manufacturer do recommend?

Doug

Hi Doug,

Look on https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=200000168&initiative_id=AS_20191015091947&SearchText=tpms&switch_new_app=y

Internal & external TPMS available.

I have never had a problem with Aliexpress & I use PayPal so I never have any potential problems.

PS. Mine are both unbranded!

Edited by Spitfire6
PS
  • Like 1

I have Tyre pal type  systems fitted to three vehicles now.

I see  them as a reassuring  early warning system.

This followed  an rather unsettling incident  in  fairly busy  traffic on the M6 a few years ago:

The  major part of the near side rear tyre was last seen  as it overtook me, it veering across threes lanes  and bouncing   off the central reservation barrier as I slowed onto  the hard shoulder.

This was not a result of not checking tyres

In fact, the car had been at a well known tyre fitting chain only the  previous day  so only 50 -60:miles earlier.Two new  front tyres had been  fitted and the rear tyres were checked  and given the all clear(they were fairly new)

On reflection, whilst joining the M6  traveling N off the M56 , some 5miles or so earlier, there had been a faint  sound - a faint metallic brief tinkle as if I had run over a small  piece of debris -maybe piece of tin can or something -  certainly nothing at all remarkable or  that unusual.

Otherwise, nothing untoward until just  before the tyre departure when there  was suddenly a vague vibration  from the rear of the vehicle and blurring of the rear view mirror which made me instinctively  lift my foot off and slow down and change lanes.Whilst starting to do this  the tyre remnant  sped past, making the cause very obvious .

I am sold on the idea  that a tyre monitoring device would, I think of alerted  me early on to to pressure loss and  also the rapid heat heat build up before the incident.

Fortunately though,no-one  came to any harm, so it was  just a nuisance.

Remarkably,  the wheel was completely  undamaged.

I was impressed how stable the car( Freelander 2 ) was  

- suddenly running on three  and a bit tyres .

515B86E8-9687-4058-931C-DD274923F66E.jpeg

Hi,

Fuel economy would be good with tyres like that! Nobody hurt or equipment damage. Minus the tyre. Good.
Here are some pics of the second to be fitted kit that is internal TPMS.

Worth 25 quid for the caps! 😁. I am concerned that the cells are not serviceable. If the power lasts a few years then no problem. I guess if the cells do expire at least I have nice valve stems. Maybe the cells are charged as the wheel rotates? The external sensors have easy to replace cells. Mine lasted about 8 months. What do I expect for 25 quid? New 1632 button cells cost around 5 quid for 4..

Cheers,

Iain.

IMG_2386.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

IMG_2389.JPG

IMG_2390.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2392.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1