Major Petrol Head

Hi Guys

Please let me introduce myself, I'm Nick and a major petrol head, I have had Spitfires on and off since the early 1980s. I did have a really nice 1971 Mk4 with a full race 1300; that little car's engine produced 120bhp and was great fun to drive.but I got rid of that when I bought my 1977 Ferrari Dino. The story of my old Spitfire is at http://www.nickt.net/Spitfire/index.htm. Its a rubbish website.

Over the past few years i also built from scratch a Zonda inspired car, started life with a twin turbo Jag V12 mounted in a spaceframe chassis, and ended up with a twin turbo Audi V8, was really fast, and got quite an online following, some even liked it :D

I sold that a year ago to ay for the Ferrari's engine to be professionally rebuilt... 

the latest project is a mid engines Mk4 Spitfire. I bought the chassis on Ebay, an AWT Audi 1.8T engine and transaxle and mounted the engine at the rear in a Audi Quattro rear subframe. Fitted really nicely. On the front I am using BMW 3 series hubs and uprights modified to fit the standard Spitfire suspension. The steering rack is a Spitfire standard with BMW track rod ends.. all went together so nicely.

Today I picked up the body tub from Spitbitz, when it dries out (if it ever stops raining) I'll start craving it up to fit the car. The body tub needs to move forward, the rear slightly extended and bonnet shortened so i get it as evenly balanced as possible.

The body is quite rotten; the floors, sills are all well gone, so should be an interesting journey...

Spit2.jpeg

Spit3.jpeg

Spit4.jpeg

Spit5.jpeg

Spit6.jpeg

Spit7.jpeg

Spit8.jpeg

Spit9.jpeg

20150120_163547.jpg

• Like 1

How does the engine height compare to the height of the standard petrol tank sat atop the diff?

It LOOKS like you'll have a huge boot buldge...but easy to forget how tall the petrol tank is with no bodywork on the car.

Or is that just an excuse to go for a GT6-like couple rear body...?

4 hours ago, Mjit said:

How does the engine height compare to the height of the standard petrol tank sat atop the diff?

It LOOKS like you'll have a huge boot buldge...but easy to forget how tall the petrol tank is with no bodywork on the car.

Or is that just an excuse to go for a GT6-like couple rear body...?

Hi

The height of the engine looks to be just right, it should sit just below the panel that has the fuel tank filler, the engine should tuck nicely in the original boot space. However unless I move the body tub forward, the engine will take up the “rear” seat space in the cockpit. No big deal just means no space behind the seats. 
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of floor panels that are sub £100?

Regards 

Nick