Chassis out rigger replacement & tight, lumpy steering

Hello, after submitting my Mk1 Vitesse for an MOT it failed for the following;

• Chassis outriggers have poor repairs/rot 
  • Rear wheel bearing rumbles - will try and put in some grease through the nipple
  • Steering tight and lumpy - no idea

It not as bad as I thought after I spent so much time getting it all working but I neglected to look underneath in detail :mellow: .

I'm in the Salisbury area and rather new to the Triumph scene (4 weeks now) and was wondering does anyone know a good mechanic/restorers who will repair/replace the outriggers. I have heard of a company in Westbury (Classics and Retro) who could do the outriggers just wondering what would be a 'rough' price to get the job completed.

Any top tips greatly received in regards to the rear wheel bearing, tight steering and chassis.

Kind regards

Rich

Many thanks for your replies, and the workshop manual which will help me so much as I currently only have a Haynes . Does the body need to come off to replace the outriggers?

Thanks

Rich

A proper job needs the body off, but having said that on my first car a Herald back in the late sixties front and back where replaced without body removal. Welcome and a great choice of car, I have a 68 Mk1 2L my self, best of luck with the repairs.

Regards

Paul

Many thanks Paul, the cars lovely even though it needs some work underneath but it's not too bad. I want to do loads to it (get rid of some bubbling paint etc) but I suppose they are all long term projects.

I read the manual earlier, went out adjusted it and packed with grease, job done . Steering is a lot smoother and not notchy. I think the nut was just bolted on too tight.

Regards

Rich

yes there's a scheme to add a plate which overlaps the  top main rail so the top of the outrigger can be welded  it can be welded from under ,  if only  welded on down bottom and sides it will crack the main rail. later on. 

sorry no other clues as any Ive been with have had the tub off.

add a wsm on your   summer wish list  club shop selll  them 

Pete

yes there's a scheme to add a plate which overlaps the  top main rail so the top of the outrigger can be welded  it can be welded from under ,  if only  welded on down bottom and sides it will crack the main rail. later on.

Hopefully this link will work; it's a factory service bulletin. http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/chassis.htm

The last GT6 outrigger I bought has a strap on the top flange which is meant to be folded down the inside of the chassis main rail and welded where accessible. I haven’t seen any Herald / Vitesse ones like this but suspect they’re the same these days.

Incidentally that link to the Service bulletin page doesn’t work?