Shims

Ziggy

I am rebuilding my MK4 suspension, all new bushes( poly), new shocks, new steering rack , new almost everything. I had one side of the chassis with no shims, the other with two shims, this is on the lower suspension arm brackets to chassis. Am I right in thinking that as all new, start with no shims either side and go from there? No engine in car to be able to check at local garage as yet.

Edited by Ziggy
mistake in my spelling

Assuming you are using the same chassis, suspension towers and lower wishbones, I would use the same shims.

A local garage is unlikely to be able to set up the suspension, they need to have a Hunter or similar alignment setup, or some old equipment and know how to set castor angles. Or read up on it, some string, card, tape measures and so on and you can get it very accurate.

I was wondering about this, as my front susp has 2 shims each side of wishbone one side and 4 each side on tother.

Apparently this set up could even have been at factory due to chassis inconsistency, or later on, movement of the steel over the years?.

Dave  

Edited by daverclasper

Possibly one either or both, Dave - they were set at the factory but after so many years you never know what a previous owner may have felt necessary.

I checked whilst out and about today and both of my local tyre fitters - the two I use out of quite a number in the area - have laser / computer set four wheel alignment and have told me they can adjust my GT6 geometry easily enough, both front and rear, if I bring the car over. I don't think they're anything unique or upmarket so it appears many tyre fitters these days can do it.