VITESSE BATTERY

griffipaul

Need new battery for mk2 vitesse.

Current connectors are the 'pot type ' with self tapper in top of terminal .

cannot find a battery with this type... seem to be correct posts but not drilled.

do you need to do drill yourself or Is it better to change over to clamp connectors .

If so I'll replace the whole leads also.

yes go for some new shiny  clamps the old cup  type get a coating inside and make poor area of contact , its always a good idea to clean up and scour the posts to remove the 

hard lacquer stuff that develops and get to nice lead

coat all with some grease when assembled not on the connections just the outsides 

any corrosion  growing is easy removed with a splash of boiling water ( think H and S )

pete

New clamps and leads it is then.

New hi torque starter motor took out the old one , starter engaged did not turn and then retracted , all electrics dead , battery reads 12 v unloaded but 0 v  with just ign on . Tried new motor with jump leads on tr6 battery with fingers crossed and works ok. 

Many thanks o wise ones..

I used self tappers for years, disconnected, reconnected, many times, never had a problem. If they get a bit loose, get a bigger self tapper.  However, I have recently gone for clamps because, as Pete says, they're shiny :) It might be me but the posts on my battery appear tapered, certainly the old caps could be pressed down until they wouldn't turn, no screw connected. 

I took the car for a drive and later discovered the clamps loose,  a bump in the road and they'd slid up the taper. You have to do them up really tight to stop this happening, which of course distorts the post probably more than the self tapper. But they're bling so I'm not bothered.

Doug

Here you go https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/battery-terminal-grease-50-g-kfz-60480-p131051.html?PROVID=2788&wt_guka=53385195359_263508690390&PROVID=2788&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgNXtBRC6ARIsAIPP7RsqP6STjcOBGhf7NkPcuCBBV1aTntsoQfNmiiPZCHr8Tic_G-XyaJkaAk6FEALw_wcB&&r=

Its probably just vaseline  !!!

Theres some talk on here 

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/why-grease-battery-terminals.27630/

I suggested grease as only Doug  has any vaseline !!!!   Well most have grease and better than the  corrosion 

Sealed batteries are inherantly less of a problem ....times change things for  the better

Pete

6 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I used self tappers for years, disconnected, reconnected, many times, never had a problem. If they get a bit loose, get a bigger self tapper.  However, I have recently gone for clamps because, as Pete says, they're shiny :) It might be me but the posts on my battery appear tapered, certainly the old caps could be pressed down until they wouldn't turn, no screw connected. 

I took the car for a drive and later discovered the clamps loose,  a bump in the road and they'd slid up the taper. You have to do them up really tight to stop this happening, which of course distorts the post probably more than the self tapper. But they're bling so I'm not bothered.

Doug

I've rarely read a post so lacking in self awareness!    First you deny any problem with self tapper terminals, then admit to having to use a bigger screw. Exactly the problem I warned against.

Then you admitted how loose they taper post terminals can be, if the screw is loose.  Really, I couldn't have used better examples of why they are so poor as battery terminals, but then I've never used the damn things.

Thank you, Doug, for providing all.the evidence to disprove your own.point.

John

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks for that John. You warned against it, well death doom and Armageddon! My point is, it's TRIVIAL. The self taper distorts the post, the clamp distorts the post, it doesn't MATTER. Lets get on with some serious stuff and stop being smug, rude and offensive?

Doug

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If it any comfort, I can happily vouch that the only real downside of the cap type terminals is the fact the battery terminals are a sod to drill. The lead grabs a small bit which breaks.

I have had several Triumphs with the caps, and apart from the issues drilling (and the odd broken drill)  I was perfectly happy with them. Just my experience....

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, JohnD said:

First you deny any problem with self tapper terminals, then admit to having to use a bigger screw.

I've read both of the threads a number of times.

Have to say, Doug did not say he had to use bigger screws but advised that it may be necessary - obviously in some cases this may apply to other owners.

This Forum is about assisting / advising others who are seeking answers to their vehicle issues. It is NOT a platform to demean people publicly nor to score points if that persons observations do not fit in.

May I suggest that a more helpful constructive approach is adopted in the future which will benefit all.

Regards.

Richard.   

Yes back to the plot  the taper cap and screw was used extensively for more years than I care to quote , common on cars through 

The 50 60s and 70s with all sorts of screw and many caked in green grotty,   some refitted with a good wack to lock the taper on  destined to crack the case sealing and use any screw that gripped, more corrosion then followed,  

The sealed batteries have made great improvements in corrosion whatever the terminal

And on the screw front ive repaired loose terminals with acme threaded tappers  nice hex head easy to remove, and no terminal damage

Yes drilling lead is silly stuff.  Slow and steady  and bigger doesnt clog and jam the bit as well.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

And on the screw front ive repaired loose terminals with acme threaded tappers  nice hex head easy to remove, and no terminal damage

Yes drilling lead is silly stuff.  Slow and steady  and bigger doesnt clog and jam the bit as well.

Pete

Never had any problems with the original terminals, cap fitting and self-tapper, but then my battery goes in and stays there for a year or two. I don't remove it so much that I'd ruin the terminal with repeated refitting. The screw is just a light fit to stop it jumping off; not to bolt it down tightly - plus on the GT6 it's only on the short earth strap; the positive terminal is a clamp.

hot vaseline.....HMmmm  sounds like Dougs been involved ??

yes exploding batteries  ...managed that at school with the old glass accumalators  had a load in a row and we were welding name tags as a dead short 

and KaBoom   it stuck the terminals into the ceiling tiles  only the metal carry strap saves us from terminal  and glass ingress.

i guess we learn as we progress ?????

Pete

the learning slows as the years flash by   Ha !!

remembering what you remember  is another challenge  

now there's a shortfall in steam engine  drivers , same applies to old school classic problems 

we need to pass on so much to the youngsters , who only seem to push buttons .

how  about a members apprentice scheme  ???

pete

Now children, don't try this at home. 😷

Back in 2003 when I spent a month in Cuba they repaired disposable lighters, amongst other things, in similar 'artisan' workshops. What went under car bonnets was 'enlightening'. We gave a couple of school children a lift in our modern hire car, they were completely amazed at the fact that the rear windows had winders and worked!