VITESSE BATTERY

griffipaul

3 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Did you see the TV programme on the Cuban classics where they made brake fluid from water and brown sugar?

No not seen it. Presumably that was on British TV? But doesn't surprise me at all.

I only get French TV, or rather what the French put out which does include the occasional British series (some are available in English), such as Wheeler Dealers dubbed into French. There is also a French version.

15 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Did you see the TV programme on the Cuban classics where they made brake fluid from water and brown sugar?

Was that about 20-30 years ago? I have a vague memory of that. Shampoo was used for something else. To be honest I wasn't convinced that their ideas were entirely a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

can you get Allo Allo ???    reminds me of my french abilities   whilst working in Lyon

I don't believe it was shown here, I can guess why 😁

If I remember correctly Fawlty Towers was but Manuel (?) the waiter was transposed into being of Belgian origins I think.

When we first moved here we got repeats of Blackadder, dubbed 😱. The French love Mr Bean, at least that doesn't lose anything in translation. Monty Python was shown here - before I moved - can't figure out how they got the humour though.

Do get some good stuff in English, Vera & Endeavour for example.

2 hours ago, clive said:

Was that about 20-30 years ago? I have a vague memory of that. Shampoo was used for something else. To be honest I wasn't convinced that their ideas were entirely a good idea. 

No, not that long ago - in fact just found it! Might be the same one as they use shampoo, alcohol and brown sugar.

I have a vague recollection 'allo 'allo WAS sold to the French and the funniest bit for them was the English policeman's mangled English-French speak.

I quick trawl of the interweb reveals a story from 2008 which said it had been sold to the Germans. As swastikas and Nazi salutes are banned in Germany, difficult to see how it could be edited to "fit". 

Doug

The best use for sugar is to make dark rum. Try a Dark and Stormy which traditionally is Goslings Black Seal and ginger beer. You can get Goslings at Waitrose.....I'm on commission!

I've recorded most of Allo Allo series, my wife and I watch them to remind us what good comedy writing and acting is all about. 

Iain

Dick,

For Fireworks Night, I bought some "Fiery Ginger Beer" and joked to Daughter, who took me to the Party with No.1 Grandson, that we should drink Gin and Ginger Beer beforehand!  Instead of G&T, you understand.    No way, Yuck, she cried and we didn't, but I tried one later.   Yum!      I looked it up and found it is called a "Foghorn"!     Master Gunner's Foghorn might be an even better name for it, but it must be really "Fiery" GB!

Make as for G&T, ice and lemon, or lime.    Enjoy!  I still have some GB left!

John

As a student I did an elective in Denmark.  There, ethyl acohol was sold like we have methanol, for cleaning etc, with bitter agents added so sane people wouldn't drink it.     But I was living in a block of flats with chemical and engineering students, who had a still in the basement.     This wasn't unusual, you could then take the pure spirit than came out, dilute it to taste and add gin, whisky etc 'flavourings' that you could buy, legally, from the local pharmacy!

It wasn't good, but it wasn't that bad!   Skol!

JOhn

When I lived in Fermanagh there was a lot of dodgy stuff about, some of it laughingly called Poteen. As in the old saying: when it was good, it was very very good, but when it was bad... well you could strip paint and clean engines.

There was one particular brew called 'Dark Early'... now, it was very moreish. It was supplied in 5 litre plastic containers and always reminded me of someone coming back from the shop with a gallon of paraffin...

• Haha 1

I'm quite partial to a Manhattan cocktail, the surprising thing is after a few glasses I loose the ability for coherent speech but my hearing is never affected 'cos I can always hear a familiar woman's voice saying 'don't you think you've had enough!'. 

Back to the battery question I bought a Yuasa YBX3078 from The Battery Shop, it was £84 including delivery in 2017. The terminals are in the correct positions and the size is near perfect. The spec is 60Ah 550A cold crank.

Iain