Another Newbie - where to get a valuation for insurance for 1500 Spitfire please

Twkr

Hello folks,

Firstly hello,

I'm Jim from Chester.

Just signed up here as my Godmother has given me hopefully a very early inheritance present of an original condition 77 Spitfire 1500 she's owned since 1980. She's now 82 and just downsized to a retirement flat with no garage and someone has the tough job of looking after the Spitfire which will be me.

I'm in need of an accurate valuation for insurance purposes initially and any willing sponsors to fund tidying it up 🙂

Can anyone kindly recommend where I can get a good valuation please?

Many thanks

Jim

Jim,

Here is the club insurance valuation document

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/ Insurance Panel Values .pdf

The valuations are for insurance purposes, this is what you'd get if the car is written off. They are not what you'd expect to get if you sold it, that amount would be a little less.

To get the club valuation you have to be a member and the car MOTed. Best thing is to get to a area meeting, you don't have to be a member to go. Nearest to you would be Liverpool? they meet at Viking Landings (where's that?) 1st Tuesday 8pm.

Doug

Hi Doug,

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. Much appreciated.

I'd taken a guess at £5K, so probably slightly high, but in the right ball park. Car condition is still all original with a few areas of surface rust I need to catch. Also a bit leaky on many seals, both fuel system and engine gaskets. I'll probably do some of these jobs before taking it for an MOT (although not needed now) to make it safe to drive as I don't want it catching on fire just popping for an MOT.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim,

The nearest area meeting to you is probably North Wales, followed by Wirral and then Cheshire. I live in Great Sutton and attend the Wirral meeting which is on the second Tuesday of the month at the Cottage Loaf at Thurstaston, we're  a friendly bunch with a range of vehicles and experience.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your message. I'd been looking at nearby area meet ups this afternoon and spotted that the North Wales folks have a meet-up just South of Chester and the Wirral meet-up that you kindly suggested is also close by.

I should be able to make one, if not both.

Many thanks

Jim

Jim - whichever meets you intent to go to, can I suggest that you contact the Area Organisers directly before you go. Some (not all, I must stress) of the meets in the North West are not actually held at the venues listed on the main club web site, or even the local pages.  Don't want you to turn up and end up being 'Billy no-mates'

Pete - Yes I agree, but, as I have mentioned on other threads, many AOs don't keep the entries up to date on the main web pages. Venues are changed, meetings cancelled or the dates changed without updating the main web pages, making the pages useless. Its not the fault of tbe club, but the main site would be better with simple (up to date!!!) contact details rather than out of date venue/meeting date info.

as AO theres a expected level of responsibility in keeping things up to date .  the club  just  doenst have the staff to wet nurse the on daily things perculiar to an Area

when i ad mined  the old site i spent hours and hours checking areas ,post codes and made all upto date  way back before the old site crashed out

the new site has areas driven by AO who have administrator rights to update the area data .  this was the attempt to get members involved as requested at an AGM

the new site was developed around those ideals 

do we need a big stick or what ??

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I know of two areas in the 'North West' who's meeting venues are wrong. Very few have completed details of the AOs and some have info showing as current which is over 2 years old, one area home page even has the wrong email address for an AO. I know I'm going on, and all this is done on a voluntary basis, but we bang on about how good the club is with its new look website but an awful lot of tbe info is useless especially to new members.

Hi Nigel Badwolf has done some homework on this , let him enlighten where the problems he has found are.

i have been in touch with dave crock  new Lincs   AO to steer him through the how to  updates but so far he has no admin rights in place so guess thats  awaited /in process

do we have an audit of all the areas as a back up test of the data 

Im willing to help

Pete

Ok Had a call from Nigel he is aware,   the discrepancies are awaiting our webmaster who is on holiday right now  most of the anomalies and admin rights should be corrected on his return ,

some areas show a venue but in reality they float around and change every month, so whats on the directory is a start but local news is king.

think we have to wait and see the updates in a week or so 

and any  problems please drop Nigel an E mail  its in the courier first page of the area news section

some plonkers have been phoning him at 11pm , thats a no no , he is a volunteer  not paid staff and out of hours is just unacceptable 

Pete

Badwolf - been following with amusement.

Hopefully in the next few days it will be revealed the date, time and venues of my nearest meet ups are.

Never envisaged my simple enquiry would turn into such a long thread! 😀

There have been longer 'maiden' threads, some running to several pages. Yours is doing well. Glad to have you on board.. enjoy, there is plenty here for everyone. Make good use of the seach function, or you can always 'slum it' with some of the regulars. Amazing what the promise of tea and a bacon butty can lead to (waits for witty response!!). A lot of jest, a lot of hard work and a lot of experience. Ths forum is one of the best.