Rear engine plate oil leak???? HELP!

chrisbladen

Hi, just wandering if anyone has ever experienced a rear engine plate gasket leaking? I have a 1500 spitfire and basically what iv done is removed the gearbox, taken the engine out and while it was out iv degreased it and painted it. 

Today I noticed a slight leak on the floor which baffled me as the oil has been drained for a few weeks and I fully removed the sump to clean and paint it so it is defiantly empty of oil. it seems to be running down the back of the rear engine plate where it meets the block, (I have attached 2 pics)

I'm thinking it could be one of a few things...

1) when I have pressure washed it it has worked into the gap between the rear engine plate and block and it is just oily water that is running down?? (not sure it would still be running now though as its been a week since I washed it)

2) the rear plate gasket needs replacing (however I never noticed an oil leak while I was driving the car???)

3) behind the driveshaft there seems to be a gap (see pic), which looking at the rimmers catalogue, is for a plug. having googled it, it looks like a grub screw type plug, so I was thinking maybe this is missing/ damaged...but then again I surely would have noticed oil in the bell housing when I removed it if this was the case?

my concern is that if there is an issue i would rather sort it now before I reassemble the gearbox and drop it back in the car.

is it much work to remove the flywheel and remove the rear plate to change the gasket, if not then possibly worth doing this anyway?

any advice would be gratefully received, thanks

block.jpg

flywheel2.jpg

Is it oil? in the second pic that looks like the instant gasket type stuff some people use.

The recess in the back is the end of the oil gallery and should have a tapered grub screw in it,if this was missing you would lose all the oil in a short time.

Leaking?,possibly but i wouldn`t have thought it started without being disturbed.

Easy to get the flywheel off and check while it`s out of the car.

Steve

Hi steve...yes its definatly oil there was a small puddle in the floor and a run of it on the rear plate...seems a bit thinner than usual though which is why im thinking maybe its mixed with water wen iv pressure washed it and its just pily water thats running down?

I did think that would be a grub screw so thats cleared that up thanks.

Im guessing its just a case of remove clutch from flywheel....flywheel from rear plate and then remove the rear plate to replace the gasket? Is it worth replacing the crankshaft oil seal while im on? 

Thanks

There is no full back plate gasket , there is nothing to  seal the oil seal housing for the crank is the only gasket at the rear plate

There is a welch plug which blanks the cam  rear journal bore , these can leak 

To be sure you do need to whilst engine is out is whip the clutch and fly wheel  off as suggested

It  can be a residue of oil built up by spilt over the rocker cover over the  years  and youve disturbed it with a wash down

Pete

Is that hole in the plate to give you access to the allen plug in the back of the main oilway in the block?  It is on a six.

Pete is, of course, correct, but I'd add as a source of an oil leak, the rear crank oil seal.   This sits in its own housing, bolted to the block through a gasket.    The seal is more likely to be the leak than the gasket - the seal rubber can wear a groove in the crank surface, making for a poor the seal.   Best cure is a SpeediSleeve.

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Pete is, of course, correct, but I'd add as a source of an oil leak, the rear crank oil seal.   This sits in its own housing, bolted to the block through a gasket.    The seal is more likely to be the leak than the gasket - the seal rubber can wear a groove in the crank surface, making for a poor the seal.   Best cure is a SpeediSleeve.

John

Thanks john. Would that oil seal give a leak where mine appears to be leaking? On the rear of the plate where it meets the block? You can see the moist patch on the 2nd pic....this is the only place where it appears to be wet

Thanks for the advice guys.

The thing im finding most confusing is the fact that theres actually no oil in there. Its been drained for at least 2 weeks which is why its making me think is it oily water that is just finding its way down from wen i washed it. But that was over a week ago aswell??? Its a bit of a strange one 2 b honest.

Not strange at all, what is strange is that you cannot accept that pressure washing from the outside will clean the inside.

Oil on inside gets outside.   No outside oil just makes room for inside oil. If inside oil gets outside that's just an outsizing of accumulated insider oil.   It's insidious.

Do like Guru Pete says, Little Grasshopper.     Get that flywheel and rear plate off and have a look!

John

And  stick your finger in  it   is it just oil, is it black , is it a mix of oil degreaser and water  , as the engine is out its only a few bolts

to solve your own mystery  if you dont look  see you will never satisfy your  curiosity  .....we cant 

Time to bite the bullet ... get it apart !!!  Clean it up  and re assemble

Pete

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Not strange at all, what is strange is that you cannot accept that pressure washing from the outside will clean the inside.

Oil on inside gets outside.   No outside oil just makes room for inside oil. If inside oil gets outside that's just an outsizing of accumulated insider oil.   It's insidious.

Do like Guru Pete says, Little Grasshopper.     Get that flywheel and rear plate off and have a look!

John

It is strange given that i washed it probably 10 days ago and its been in a warm room since? And only showed as a leak now?

Thanks for the guys giving genuine advice

There was possibly a small amount of oil laying in the cavity between the block and back plate

pressure washing the engine has possibly pushed and amount of water into the cavity,

as oil floats on water  it has raised the oil up higher where it has now escaped .

The oil must have come from somewhere so as Pete says it needs investigating.

How to get all the oil out of that engine! Squeeze the car!

Taken from the Joke section of the Forum, there are some good jokes there by all the old Stalwarts! A good way to spend time on a very hot day when the AC has broken, small lizard shorted out the circuit boards! Expensive

Peter T

How to get all the oil out of your engine SQUEEZE the Car.jpg