Door refurb Triumph Vitesse

Paul H

Started stripping down the passenger door on my Vitesse saloon . So far I’ve removed a lot of wadding see pic, is this normal . The wadding was in the bottom of the door 880E4529-544F-4CB6-BAA7-7B8E489F6DED.thumb.jpeg.870e7dcef59431534121ef60ea91253a.jpeg

Also found a section cut out . What purpose was this done for 

8FB3154C-87AF-49E1-8D18-EC5F3EFA5C00.thumb.jpeg.49b7ba47739fb3788a2db6d3c6f07008.jpeg

So far I’ve ascertained the original colour was white and the internal condition is good with no visible rust . I know there will be issues when removing the paint on the door skin as the door has ripples at the base . Also need a new internal door handle as it has broken 

012C6BCE-A2E4-470A-8CB2-36C180A83ED0.thumb.jpeg.016b0947e138bc1ecbd0648b77e74003.jpeg

Paul 

No idea about that cutout,i thought maybe someone did it to retrieve weather seal clips that always fall into the bottom when you try and fit them,but you can get your arm in the existing holes enough to do this.

That insulation looks more like rockwool,was it bagged?.Looks like a mouses nest to me.

Those handles are ten a penny on e bay.

Steve

1 minute ago, Steve P said:

No idea about that cutout,i thought maybe someone did it to retrieve weather seal clips that always fall into the bottom when you try and fit them,but you can get your arm in the existing holes enough to do this.

That insulation looks more like rockwool,was it bagged?.Looks like a mouses nest to me. 

Those handles are ten a penny on e bay.

Steve

Hi Steve , thanks the rock wool was loose , no mouse poo ! Was the rock wool standard .

Already recovered the weather seal clips with a magnet !!!

Paul 

Hello Paul & Steve,

Having just done the pax door on my Vitesse, it really does benefit from an intensive spray of anti-rust (take your choice) plus decent drain holes and a moisture resistant membrane between the door metal and door card. For the latter I used DPM left over from a building project.

I know (well, I do now - thanks Pete & Colin) that there was also a curtain attached to the window support via original spec, but I did not try to repeat that; purely mentioned FYI.

Regards.

Richard.

Wadding in bags was used in spaces between wheel arch and  rear wing   and inside the tunnel  and stuffed under the dash to help baulkhead noise  not aware of any inside the door that just  trapps rainwater

Seal clips .... always attach 12" of cotton so you can retrieve flying clips.

No idea why an improvised letter box was cut in ...what on earth for !!!!!

Pete

On 29/10/2019 at 18:17, Pete Lewis said:

No idea why an improvised letter box was cut in ...what on earth for !!!!!

Hi. Would suspect a dropped item or clip?. And the need to retrieve without stripping out the whole window and fittings?.

Appreciate the "heads up" about attaching cotton thread or similar🤗

Pete

My 68 Vitesse had some small bags of Rockwell in the door and I’ve owned it since 70 so it must have been fitted during construction.

It did cause a small rust area under the door handle where outer skin folded over the frame only 1/8in wide and 3/4in long other than that door in great condition

i hate that bagged Rockwell if needed I’d replace with dynamat or similar (spell check changed dynamat to dynamite!)

Peter T

The only thing I can think of in that area would be to get at the rear of the door check strap bracket, but no idea why? It's too small for speakers and anything dropped in behind could be reached through that large circular hole with a magnet on a string. Strange... but there's nowt as strange as previous owners... :)

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The only thing I can think of in that area would be to get at the rear of the door check strap bracket, but no idea why? It's too small for speakers and anything dropped in behind could be reached through that large circular hole with a magnet on a string. Strange... but there's nowt as strange as previous owners... :)

Hi Colin , I think you are correct with your theory . The door strap bracket is newish and the strap bracket is the closest item to the cut envelope 

What will I find when I refurb the drivers door ? 

Paul