Distributor endfloat

Ian Cooper

I've been reading the official workshop and Haines manuals for the GT6 but I find the description of the process for determining and setting the endfloat is not very clear, for instance there is no real clarity regarding the gasket in the calculation, my question is:

Has anyone come across a clear, definitive account and if so where can I find it?? 

you need  the pedestal to sit higher than the base face so there is some end float on the gear the spec is approx  0.003" to 0.007"  so include gasket and anything else 

eg if the pedestal sits flush adding the gasket gives you the gap or there abouts .  the pedestal must not trap the gear and hold it down , stick finger down hole and check for a small amount of gear  lift when bolted down   too much float will cause a nice rattle.

Pete

Pre-load is very bad, and can wear out the skew gear that drives the distributor from the camshaft quickly. So as Pete says, avoid pre-load at all costs.

Too much end float will allow timing to flutter, you can see this with a strobe. It will lead to rough tick over and poor performance.

If in doubt, start with too much end float and cautiously adjust down.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...