GT6 MK3 Fuel tank outlet

David Kirk

Hi all,

Just fitted a double S stainless exhaust to get my GT6 so I can get it  running. Then I can work out just how much work needs to be done. (it will be a lot)

The fuel outlet from the tank is directly above the left hand silencer box and as it comes out in a "rubber" pipe it is hard to get it to not touch the silencer which I guess is a timebomb!

I think I should replace it with copper pipe. Is 1/4" copper pipe the norm? If I use copper then I guess I can get a) a tighter bend to clear the exhaust and b) it won't melt through with the heat from the exhaust.

Is there an olive inside that fitting? or is it like brake pipe and just flared?. If it's an olive, do you know where I can get one from?

David

20191102_155922_resized.jpg

20191102_155929_resized.jpg

I would expect to see a copper pipe with a fairly tight bend coming out of the fuel tank through the boot floor. The current arrangement with rubber touching the silencer is clearly dangerous.

I will post a photo of the fuel pipe on my GT6 Mk3 later today or tomorrow.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

I would expect to see a copper pipe with a fairly tight bend coming out of the fuel tank through the boot floor. The current arrangement with rubber touching the silencer is clearly dangerous.

I will post a photo of the fuel pipe on my GT6 Mk3 later today or tomorrow.

Nigel

Yes, copper pipe connects to my fuel tank too.

Gully

Mine's not copper, factory original I think, dull silvery, steel? Cupronickel? I read cupro are best, but I don't think it makes a lot of odds, copper are easier to manipulate.

I notice Nigel's has a rubber joint directly above the chassis, good idea in case there's any movement, but tricky to replace. The first joint is normally on the chassis in the rear wheel arch, I have clamps on mine. Which were no help when the hose rotted out and gave way!  Half a tank full of fuel on the garage floor! :o 

Doug

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I notice Nigel's has a rubber joint directly above the chassis, good idea in case there's any movement, but tricky to replace. The first joint is normally on the chassis in the rear wheel arch, I have clamps on mine. Which were no help when the hose rotted out and gave way!  Half a tank full of fuel on the garage floor! :o 

Doug

That's a piece of rubber pipe I slipped over the copper pipe to protect from rubbing on the chassis. The first joint is further forward.

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks Everyone.

I have drained the tank now and disconnected the rubber hose from the fitting and removed the fitting (see photo)

So just a short piece of 5/16" copper pipe (Pete - you were correct about the size - not for the first time I suspect). It looks just like yours Adrian except shorter!

That's a shame as I have stock of 3/16 and 1/4 pipe but not 5/16. Time to expand my stock I guess! I'll get some pipe and some olives)

20191103_120014_resized.jpg

I have ordered 1.5m of copper pipe (5/16) and some olives from ebay. Came to about £10. I have hand held pipe bender which will be good to form a tight 90 deg bend out of the tank and the rest should be easy to get it to the joint in front of the rear axle.

Thanks for your help.

David

I had issues with lack of fuel and full tank. I removed the tank and found the disk from a fuel additive bottle.  It was closing the recess off where the copper pipe comes through into the tank.  I made a longer tube with cross drilled holes so the low tank level stays the same. Worth doing if you are making up a new length of tube

Graham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1