Polybush yellow, front suspension.

Evening all. I’ve swapped every one of the higher loaded bolts in the suspension for correct length ones. No more threads resisting shear liars thank you. But, the bolts refuse to go through the steel tube inside the front/lower bushes, they go through the chassis brackets though. Has anyone else experienced this? Surely I don’t need to take out the tubes and ream them. 

33 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

sounds like a supply problem  , does the bolt fit if the tube is removed ??ie is there a burr on the  anti crush tube

Pete

Hi Pete. The bolts won’t go through any of the four tubes when removed so I’m taking them to work tomorrow to be checked/reamed to size. There is also a burr on them. It didn’t take much to remove them. Are they usually like this? Are the yellow ones the softest? 
PS: Previous owner had used set screws for all front wishbones to mounts! I’m glad I checked. 

3 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Evening all. I’ve swapped every one of the higher loaded bolts in the suspension for correct length ones. No more threads resisting shear liars thank you. But, the bolts refuse to go through the steel tube inside the front/lower bushes, they go through the chassis brackets though. Has anyone else experienced this? Surely I don’t need to take out the tubes and ream them. 

Are these yellow bushes Superflex and not Polybush? 

Setscrews  instead  bolts with a shank is not best but the bolts clamp the tube the bushes rotate on the tube the bolts should !! Not move or rotate  in the brackets or tube the tube must be clamped up  solid and tight.

Youre's seem to be a tad inferior up to you to say where they came from  they should be returned as unsuitable for purpose

Pete

16 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Setscrews  instead  bolts with a shank is not best but the bolts clamp the tube the bushes rotate on the tube the bolts should !! Not move or rotate  in the brackets or tube the tube must be clamped up  solid and tight.

Youre's seem to be a tad inferior up to you to say where they came from  they should be returned as unsuitable for purpose

Pete

Hi Pete, I’m swapping out the loaded fasteners so the set screws are out. Correct (grip) length bolts are in. 

On 05/11/2019 at 20:37, Adrian Saunders said:

Evening all. I’ve swapped every one of the higher loaded bolts in the suspension for correct length ones. 

Where did you get the bolts from? Try the old ones and see how they fit. I bought bolts from a local Fastner company which were identical to my old ones in looks, but metric, and so didn't fit the imperial mountings. Absolutely the same when held side by side, but just the slightest difference in thickness. I went online and bought the correct Imperial ones and they fitted first time.

On 07/11/2019 at 11:10, Colin Lindsay said:

Where did you get the bolts from? Try the old ones and see how they fit. I bought bolts from a local Fastner company which were identical to my old ones in looks, but metric, and so didn't fit the imperial mountings. Absolutely the same when held side by side, but just the slightest difference in thickness. I went online and bought the correct Imperial ones and they fitted first time.

Hi Colin. My fasteners are imperial, it’s the spacer tubes, they’re burred at the one end. The set screws that were in went through ok due to the slightly reduced o/d of the threads. Proper bolt shank at 7/16” minus a few thou’s only, interference fit. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2019 at 13:45, Colin Lindsay said:

Good that you've identified the problem, but sad they're supplied this way. Are we allowed to enquire publicly here where they came from, or what brand they are?

Hi Colin. Somewhat delayed reply. House broken into a few weeks ago so the GT6 has been low priority. I still think they were damaged on install by previous owner. The tubes have been reamed and are a splendid fit now. Probably install this weekend. 

Aw... nightmare!! Hope all okay. Happened to me back in 1998, lost all the electrical equipment in the house but in my case it had two happy endings (for me at least.)

I hope it's all working out in  the aftermath, but it's a really unpleasant experience.

The GT6 will indeed be low priority but at least something to take you mind off everything else.