Synchro springs 3 rail 4 syncro

Darron

Hi Dave,

many thanks for your clear explanation.

I quite liked the idea of the bronze carrier spinning as it is self lubricating. Having said that I now have a steel carrier  that I did not fit a pin to. All ok so far.

Next time the GB is out I may well fit a pin.

Many TR6 owners are under the belief that the steel carrier is the spawn of the devil and will only fit a bronze carrier. 

However that has gone pear shaped as there are soft brass carriers out there.   Doh!!!!!!

Roger

the anti spin was introduced across the whole uk manufactures and recommended by people like B & B/  AP ltd

it stops wearing spin grooves in the front cover , so helps pedal loads as wear sets in and the carrier starts to get stuck in the ridges 

many did this not just triumph 

pete

• Like 1

being involved with truck clutch problems  finger wear was a major problem in the 80s and things like antispin, and pressure on the release to stop skidding where all introduced

along with withdrawl  angles and keeping the sleeve pins  on the centre line of the shaft were all revisited to gain some life 

best way to stop skid is fit a spring to keep the release firmly on the fingers or ....fix a gap by having a release return stop 

so its either in full contact  or keeps well away ...foot off

pete

Hi Pete,

I was doing some lateral thinking a few months back and was going to fit a plate on the diaphragm fingers and also use a flat faced bearing (similar tot he TR4).

I mentioned this on another forum and I had some quick responses that the MGB clutch has this flat plate. So much for genius.

Roger

This thread started while I've been on hols, so only found it just now.   Great interest to me as I started a similar one I've on Sideways a few weeks before.   I found a 'dint' in the thrust bearing carrier, with a worn impression in the leading edge of the groove, and another 180 degrees away, where the clutch lever fingers had pressed.    Much discussion there too, and the solution I adopted was to fit a roll pin.   See: http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8670-why-is-this-dint-there-and-why-so-much-wear/&tab=comments#comment-117197

Thanks, Roger!

I found when driiling my carrier that it must be brass, not bronze, as swarf came off in curls, when it would be chips from bronze.   Anyone on know which cars got which metal?   The cost differential must have meant that Triumph thought hard before spending up!

Hi John,

The TR2/3/4 had the phosy Bronze carrier and a fork with two round spigots.  This worked well.

The TR4A/5/6 have a steel carrier and a fork with two round spigots - this works well. 

A good number of owners believe the Phosy Bronze is better but I believe they are compensating for bad assembly and alignment.

Recently the suppliers are selling Brass carriers. These do NOT work well with the twp spigot fork. They MUST use the slipper pads (saloon cars I think).

Roger