MOT

AidanT

OK I have a feeling this is going to be a dumb question :P But I don't know the answer!

Is there any difference to an MOT on a new car (OK a three year old plus car) and one of our cars in the MOT? - so can any MOT station / garage undertake an MOT for my GT6? Took it last year to a "Classic Car" garage who did the MOT and some other work. Now I have got round to looking at some of the work done I don't really want to go back!  :(

Cheers

Hello Aidan.

Any approved MOT station will do your test.

Just a thought, is it worth making some enquiries with other classic car clubs or looking on their forum's to see if there are any recommendations for decent "classic car" knowledgeable garages in your area ??

Regards.

Richard.

Aidan.

I have just sent a recommendation request via the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club forum regarding your question.

Regards.

Richard.

The MoT test for cars has provisions for cars of all ages, and any tester that knows what they are doing should be able to apply the rules that are applicable for the age of the car.

The problem comes when the tester has never (or has rarely) seen an older car that is either exempt from certain test items, or is tested to different limits to those applied to a "modern".

My preference is to use a classic friendly garage, or if I cant find one, find a garage where the tester is in his 50's as he is likely to have been testing cars for long enough to know how to apply the rules to a classic.

Aidan.

A friends brother lives in the Matlock area and he runs a classic, so I have asked if some enquiries can be made of him.

Regards.

Richard.

I believe the allowable emissions on the emission test are different depending on the age of the car.  My bloke does the same test on everything and looks up the stats for the age. He was an apprentice in a Triumph dealership and know a little TOO much about my car!

I've recently been in discussions here, and else where, about my servo problems. I was contemplating just removing it but It was my MOT man  who told me the servo was fitted as standard on the last six months of production (my car) and if I turned up without it, that's a fail!

Hi Richard - Any recommendations would be good, 

I will try and get to the Derwent Meet this week, trouble is they pick the first Thursday in the Month and for me that's one of my busiest work days GRRRR   :angry:

Aidan

Hi Richard - Any recommendations would be good, 

I will try and get to the Derwent Meet this week, trouble is they pick the first Thursday in the Month and for me that's one of my busiest work days GRRRR   :angry:

Aidan

Aidan

Derwent Valley meets first Tuesday of the Month, Tonight to be Precise!

I use S&L Garage Services in Derby 01332 341772 and have never had any trouble in 10 years of M.O.T.s? 

Also a mate takes his Austin Healey to Smalley Service Station 01332 880217 who are Classic Friendly?

Regards

Gary

just had the Blue dragon MOT , first one in my care, having rebuilt the front suspension its not failed but the new ,made from heaven knows what rubber company, the tie rod Rubbers  that position the lower arm have a load of float,  in less than 500 miles   Pah ....

so more useless look alike parts , now off for some poly bush reputables

Pete

What a pain! As you know I've been looking at these myself as a winter project. The one sold by the club seem to be the best from what I have been able to gather but I'm not sure on their prices. You can buy them direct

for the 2000 Ill stick with chris witor they are also superflex and do the whole range ,  garth cant stock them all .  

but indian rubber tricks and chinesse bendy wonga are def off the horizon from now on.

might be cheap the story ends there

Pete

• 1 month later...