As a result of many years of Caravan Towing I have tow bars stashed everywhere. No one seems to want them?. Tried E-Bay, no takers. 2 where recently re-purposed to make a rotator when I was re-furbing the Herald chassis. One has been cut down to fit a Peugot 107 (for which no one makes a tow bar.) Only tow a little garden trailer but it keeps the crap out of the car.

Pete

think we have all sold a car on take the tow bar off as it might be useful hence angle iron all over the place as 

no one ever wants anything you think is useful   

when i sold my last caravan we had a garage sale   nearly caused  riot of guys arguing    it mine  i saw it first 

i made a killing   but adverts  ...nothing 

but the squabbles over wing mirrors that wont fit anything other than its modified to fit form was were a surprise 

pete

Last year, when I was looking for a replacement modern the smart ars*d salesman told me that he would have to go to the expense of removing the tow bar from my trade in as tow bars devalued second hand cars. Is this correct or was he just 'being a saleman'. He didn't get the sale for the replacement, apart from the tow bar thing, he was a slimy little g*t!!

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Last year, when I was looking for a replacement modern the smart ars*d salesman told me that he would have to go to the expense of removing the tow bar from my trade in as tow bars devalued second hand cars. Is this correct or was he just 'being a saleman'. He didn't get the sale for the replacement, apart from the tow bar thing, he was a slimy little g*t!!

The only way to treat a car salesman BW is tell them firmly but politely to "go away" and if you need help you will ask!! It might sound rude but it does work.

Tony.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Last year, when I was looking for a replacement modern the smart ars*d salesman told me that he would have to go to the expense of removing the tow bar from my trade in as tow bars devalued second hand cars. Is this correct or was he just 'being a saleman'. 

He could be claiming that an engine which has been towing may have been more stressed than a non-towing vehicle (depending on the load being towed) plus the clutch may have suffered.

They all have their sales spiel. I traded in a 1.8 Focus back around 2002; my local Ford dealership told me there was no demand for them and it was worth next to nothing. The next Ford Dealership (appropriately called Lindsay Cars) told me it was a great car and wouldn't be on the forecourt for very long. He also offered me £1800 more in trade-in.

Little bit at a time, fitted the drivers door check strap.

20210601_181841.thumb.jpg.d5b2db709b3facab3b3f15f88ceb4fef.jpg

Now on all doors.

Will have to see how the week is, as many jobs around the house before i can get on with the tow bar! (Although am sneaking out tomorrow to pick up some triumph parts!)

they are a wierd device that do very little 

i have a load of spare ones  if needed as they were hard to find then a load turned up

and the daft things are very handed/,front/ rear  all different 

and dont check the door anyway just minimal resistance when half open then they are in fresh air ...daft 

pete

3 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I thought they were to help stop the wind blowing the door shut against your shins.

Not much resistance in closing. The heavy door keeps it from moving, i think it does stop it from swinging too wide.

no when the doors is full open the spring is out in fresh air on all 4  

they offer a minimal resistance when half open after that pointless !!!

its the hinges that restrict the fully open 

designed by an idiot but  they must absorb some load as they do fracture 

take  them off offers no discernible  change to having them fitted 

i have 6 spares ....never to be used  just two back orders and mick dolphin all turned up together 

had i realised they are a waste of time   well  you know what 

Pete

With work and bits to do round the house work on the car has been limited, not helped by me buying bits on ebay and having to go to pick up!

Arrived through the post today the carpet set from coverdale, looks good. 

20210608_130919.thumb.jpg.9182d273e8b686801643b2afdbc9d72f.jpg

20210608_130935.thumb.jpg.cb53363325e7c6cbe24c58bd12d713f6.jpg

20210608_130927.thumb.jpg.7293547e157e19f600237e57d9a56f7f.jpg

So the fitting jobs are starting to pile up, tow bar and carpet waiting to fit. Some paintwork corrections to do as well. Still have to plaster the landing wall before i can start them though. Also tomorrow i am picking up another gearbox (ebay again). More on that when picked up.

Busy day, started at 5.30am sorting the barn out, i can now get to everything even if its not in the best order. So at about 10.30 am started on fitting the tow bar. What a struggle.  Loosen the bumper then started the juggling balancing game to get the bar located and the bolts back through! One bolt took 3 hours to tighten up!!!!! Had to remove it as it had locked up and could not get a fix on the bumper side. Ended up flap wheeling a socket to get it to slip on! Took the bolt out and ran a die down it and added a couple of washers to the bumper side and it went in easy. Wired up and then swapped the two wires i got wrong round (stop lamps blinking instead of left indicator)

20210611_142651.thumb.jpg.a8c31a4dd790d5f377124b34348a350d.jpg

20210611_182619.thumb.jpg.a1805b44fc431fe23d271ecdb14a21a7.jpg

20210611_182608.thumb.jpg.caf60cb07aace1bc34f07fb45628815f.jpg

Then the mystery part,

20210611_182419.thumb.jpg.21fe12c4a4d6266c11ba66de8a8c884c.jpg

20210611_182555.thumb.jpg.1171e16e671cc546993664a525a906b9.jpg

Solved, another thing to fix.

So the job list left

1. Fix boot floor lock

2. Fit new carpet

3. Recon suspension ( winter)

4. Stop bashing my head on the tail gate! ( were they not made for six foot people!).