Best Spin Off Oil Filter for MK2 Vitesse

Paul H

good point Nick my adaptor has been on there a long time and theres no easy way to check if the filter is being bypassed although I would have thought as the pressure drop across the filter should always be pretty low the leakage will be small... However the possibility of drain back is worrying so I think that makes it even more important I get the filter as vertical as possible👍

2 hours ago, johny said:

However the possibility of drain back is worrying so I think that makes it even more important I get the filter as vertical as possible

That's the point though really.  If there's a leak path past the filter then the oil galleries can drain back that way as well as through the bearings (latter is really slow) and it'll do that regardless of the filter position.  With the filter straight down it will at least stay full but the pump will still have to refill the galleries on start-up.  Had this issue on my PI a few years ago - I just couldn't work out why the lag on oil pressure when the filter was straight down.  Getting the right O-ring fitted made a big improvement.  I've yet to own (or even handle) one of the later, self-adjusting ones so I can't comment on how effective they are.

Nick

Wow I hadnt thought of trying to keep the oil galleries filled! I would have thought thats a pretty big ask of the filter valve(s) over more than a few hours (fraid I dont drive the Vit every day) seeing that its just a flap of rubber with next to no pressure to keep it sealing. I'd be happy if I can just keep the filter as full as possible....

Hello,

The Mann 714/2 filter arrived this morning and I have taken a photo to show the height difference. The Mann unit is 79mm and the FRAM is 95mm.

The reduction of 16mm will certainly go a long way to make my current 45degree (FRAM) more upright and that can only be to the advantage of the engine. However, as said, I've not had any issues with rattle or delayed oil pressure using FRAM but I do like the idea of a more vertical filter.

Oil change next month and will post some comparison photos showing the improved angle once in situ.

Regards.

Richard. 

DSC00442.JPG

19 hours ago, johny said:

you've got me interested now so Im going the whole hog and going to try a Mann W77 (as used on some Maseratis) - at only 59mm high I must be able to get it vertical on the Vitesse but will I soon need an engine rebuild😲

Thanks for that one Johny. One anti drain instead of two, but very short indeed.

19 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

The other thing to watch for is that the spin-on adapter assembly seals properly against the block. On the early versions of the adapter with a simple o-ring seal between the filtered/unfiltered chambers they came supplied with a selection of o-rings of different thicknesses and you had to do a test assembly with plasticine or similar to work out the one you needed. If you selected too fat a seal the outer one would leak very obviously. Too thin though is much less obvious and allows oil to bypass the filter, but also provides an easier drain down path which bypasses the flap.

Thanks Nick. I've known about the o-ring issue, but always assumed that because mine didn't leak to the outside world I didn't have a problem. Now I see that I still might. I feel an investigation is in order.

Cheers, Richard

on any with the std filter  can the groove in the block is stepped and unless you get down and personal its not easy to see the seal is seated correctly

often a new seal is fitted over the top of an old one as the unkown old is still stuck down the groove , its  easy to nick a new seal if its only partly pushed in place and not tucked right down inside the block groove/channel 

there  are a few tee shirts for this leaker

we have had blocks wrecked by overtighening the centre bolt which pulls out the crankcase web

Pete

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Looks the same as the WIX WL7213 that I'm running.

Hello Colin,

I presume you are comparing the Mann to the WIX and not the FRAM ??

Regards.

Richard.

Hi,

When I was looking for a replacement filter I looked in this order:

1. Correct thread.
  2. Correct size fitted oil "ring" mating size.
  3. Maximum diameter & length that could possibly fit.
  4. Highest internal pressure relief size setting.
  5. Anti-drain back seal fitted.

I would never want the internal valve to operate. Never in any condition. Ever. Cold climates, unnecessary high revs & oil viscosity can compromise choice.

Bad press means I would not touch FRAM.

Cheers,

Iain

Regard to the internal relief valve, it is actually much preferable to have a valve that opens and allows unfiltered oil through than to have one with a really high setting or no valve at all. The latter two scenarios mean that in the event of the filter element failing to pass enough oil for engine demand, flow to the bearings will fall and oil pressure lost and even unfiltered oil is much better than no oil!

Ironically, one of the reasons for the “orange can of death” that dogs Fram to this day is their selling filters without any relief valves at all for applications that should have had them occasionally resulting in oil starvation and bearing failure.

Nick

• Like 1