TSSC Classic Le Mans 2020

martin hughes

Well i've just booked tickets through the club for classic le mans. It will be my first club event despite having been a member for 5 years and having Triumph's on and off since the '80s.

I'll be getting the overnight wednesday ferry to st malo but only be staying for a couple of days at Le Mans as i've got to go to my house in Brittany on the friday night .

Really looking forward to the event.

• 1 month later...
I've also booked the trip, via the Euro Tunnel. Assume the Office will give details of times etc nearer the date.
Not having been before what are the facilities like, toilets , showers , washing facilities etc.
Are there plenty of food outlets or is it best to BBQ assuming shops nearby.
Any pointers appreciated on what is needed as space quite limited with 2, a tent and a cooler box of beer 😉 in a TR6.
Thanks
Phil

Hi Phil, Great to hear that you have booked for Le Mans, you will really enjoy it. All the information will be posted out to you nearer the time, this is usually with your tickets, passes etc.

The campsite that we are on is actually on the Le Mans site. We have a 24hr security on the entrance gate and only folk who have purchased the campsite tickets will be allowed in. Washing facilities,  There are two shower blocks on site including plenty of toilets and wash basins. The club runs our own bar serving plenty of chilled beer. On the campsite there is also a fair ground style catering unit which serves foods, tea and coffee all day and a long way into the night. I certainly recommend their fried breakfast. in the evening she makes a meal from scratch which changes every night. This is also just for those who have purchased their tickets through the TSSC

When you leave the campsite and go further onto the circuit you will find a massive amount of traders. These sell anything from hats to cars, There is also a lot of bars and food outlets. We tend to stop at the supermarket in Le Mans and stock up with fresh food items that we couldn’t bring with us.

If you need anything else Phil please don’t hesitate to give me a shout, All being well we will catch up with one another at Le Mans.

Cheers for now,

Martin

Best to arrive by midday thursday to get a good pitch. No problem if later, but those with a decent track view/sensible distance to the facilities etc etc will go.

There is (or has been) a TSSC organise marquee/bar, plus a food van onsite. 

There is a big supermarket a short drive away to buy supplies, just about anything you may need. But they do sometimes sell out of beer between restocks. Any camping equipment needed (forgotten sleeping bag/bed or whatever) easily replaced at teh local decathlon. Or supermarket. We have one in our group who always forgets some essential.....

The Club site is expensive for a reason. They buy in extra loos and showers, so it is probably the best equipped site there. Honestly the ratio is about 5x better than the "public" sites.

Typically our group does a shop late afternoon. Croissants etc for breakfast, milk and any extra beers. And something for dinner... We are quite ambitious with our menu, and BBQ once if that. 

Be prepared to drive out to Arnarge corner, great at night (less so now the french have made "improvements") and we tend to eat out Sunday night. After we have hooned around the road sections of the circuit once they have opened. (the locals LOVE watching cars driving enthusiastically, and thankfully I have never seen the plod there, guess they have been on duty and pleased to get home)

For reference. Spitfire, 2 blokes, camping kit etc, no problem. I buy the beer in France....

13 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Spitfire , 2 blokes, camping gear etc OK.

TR6, 2 blokes etcetc, f***ing tight squeeze... 😞

the is about 40% less space in a TR. Also put spacers under rear springs if you are going laden. Learnt that lesson the hard way.

I assumed the TR had a bigger boot!

3 hours ago, Phil Hayden said:

Thanks Clive and Martin.

Sounds superb.

If anyone is using the Euro Tunnel and wants to link up for the drive down, drop me a line.

Phil

I will be travelling over on teh Monday with another car, doing the landing beaches for a few days first. But if you are travelling over Thursday of Friday there will be stacks of cars, even some Triumphs. So best to post nearer the time when people are firming up plans.

22 hours ago, martin hughes said:

Hi Phil, Great to hear that you have booked for Le Mans, you will really enjoy it. All the information will be posted out to you nearer the time, this is usually with your tickets, passes etc.

The campsite that we are on is actually on the Le Mans site. We have a 24hr security on the entrance gate and only folk who have purchased the campsite tickets will be allowed in. Washing facilities,  There are two shower blocks on site including plenty of toilets and wash basins. The club runs our own bar serving plenty of chilled beer. On the campsite there is also a fair ground style catering unit which serves foods, tea and coffee all day and a long way into the night. I certainly recommend their fried breakfast. in the evening she makes a meal from scratch which changes every night. This is also just for those who have purchased their tickets through the TSSC

When you leave the campsite and go further onto the circuit you will find a massive amount of traders. These sell anything from hats to cars, There is also a lot of bars and food outlets. We tend to stop at the supermarket in Le Mans and stock up with fresh food items that we couldn’t bring with us.

If you need anything else Phil please don’t hesitate to give me a shout, All being well we will catch up with one another at Le Mans.

Cheers for now,

Martin

Having seen this post, i need to go!

I've been for motogp a few times but It won't be this year unfortunately.

Best get a move on with my GT6 resto....

paul

I won't be able to go this time - I'll be in the US at the Kastner Cup, but I wouldn't miss it otherwise.

So many people dash across the Channel and straight on down to Le Mans,  which can be nice enough if you avoid the motorways, but France is such a big and beautiful country!   My favourite route goes clockwise around Paris, giving that a very wide margin, to visit the old Reims-Gueux F1 road circuit, where you can start, drive the course and do a pitstop at the original pits -  a must for anyone with a tinge of Castrol Racing in their blood!   Then via Troyes and Orleans, more or less, to Le Mans.  Takes a minimum of  two days from the Channel port, if you allow time to enjoy the circuit, and the countryside!

The old circuit at Rouen-Les Essarts is not far from the direct route south to Le Mans, and you can still drive most of it, but unlike Gueux almost nothing is left of the old pits and grandstands, so give it a look, whichever way you go!

And Bonne Chance.      Enjoy Les 24 Heures!

John

46 minutes ago, ludwig113 said:

Having seen this post, i need to go!

I've been for motogp a few times but It won't be this year unfortunately.

Best get a move on with my GT6 resto....

paul

You don't have to take a Triumph. Many don't (after all, it is just a motorway slog for a lot of people, and once there you don't drive except to buy beer and ice cream)

Plus something like this is great motivation.

Over the years, our trip there has extended to be out on Wednesday back on Tuesday. A stop in Le Neubourg on the way down and Le Touquet on the way back (we use the tunnel).

I'm taking a friend this year who I've been nagging to come for years. After he saw the new Le Mans film at the tail end of last year, he said "Is it like that?" , "pretty much" I said, which won him over.

It does mean I have to take the 2000 estate again this time, as we'll be 3 up. It's currently in bits in the garage in preparation, fixing the diff leak that started after LeMans 2018.

Russell.

1 hour ago, clive said:

You don't have to take a Triumph. Many don't (after all, it is just a motorway slog for a lot of people, and once there you don't drive except to buy beer and ice cream)

Plus something like this is great motivation.

For many years, I have wondered why there are so many people in the bar tent, at all hours, watching a TV showing football or cricket.   For the sake of all the gods THEY ARE AT LE MANS!!!!!!!!!!!!   You don't go there to watch football or cricket, you go to watch the racing cars!   

So you have explained it, Clive, these are a not Triumpheroes, steeped in motorsport tradition and lore, but lowlives who have just backed the modern out of the garage and set off, for a jolly in France.     They have not, as so many do, spent many evenings preparing their Triumph to withstand a long trip, choosing the kit and stores to fit the limited space available and planning in minute detail to take advantage of every moment and mile of the journey.   They just get the modern on the motorway, engage cruise control and wait until they get there, so they can get a seat in front of the telly and tinny in their hand.   No wonder Tertres Rouges is so crowded!

And worse, they are the crowd who wander around in T-shirts and flip-flops, showing no respect for the commemorative nature of the event.       I've mocked the Goodwood crowd for slavish and  inappropriate 'period' wear - I mean, a city suit and briefcase?    WW2 military uniform, when there was no Goodwood during WW2?      There are some who attend CLM in suede shoes, cavalry twill trousers, a Vyella shirt and cravat, and good luck to them (they boil).    I wear a pair of white mechanics overalls and a flat cap,  cool in both meanings, and thoroughly in keeping!

BAN MODERNS AT TERTRES ROUGE!   That would be a good way of keeping it, like the old Brooklands, the right crowd and no crowding!

Rant over!    

John

PS Russell, If all your friend knows of 1960s racing is "Ford vs Ferrari", then he will be shocked and disappointed at the present start/finish straight!    Take him via Reims/Gueux (see above) where he can see and experience the "boxes" of the original pits!  As recreated for the film. J.

PPS And show your friend the memorial to the 1955 disaster, the worst in motorsport history.    You can see it here, the tiny black dot on staand wall, just on the right of the pic.   It's only about 12x24" and that's all.

CLM In memoriam 4.jpg

58 minutes ago, JohnD said:

For many years, I have wondered why there are so many people in the bar tent, at all hours, watching a TV showing football or cricket.   For the sake of all the gods THEY ARE AT LE MANS!!!!!!!!!!!!   You don't go there to watch football or cricket, you go to watch the racing cars!   

I fully understand, I always wondered why people wanted alternative activities at the TSSC International too. :)

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

So you have explained it, Clive, these are a not Triumpheroes, steeped in motorsport tradition and lore, but lowlives who have just backed the modern out of the garage and set off, for a jolly in France.     They have not, as so many do, spent many evenings preparing their Triumph to withstand a long trip, choosing the kit and stores to fit the limited space available and planning in minute detail to take advantage of every moment and mile of the journey.   They just get the modern on the motorway, engage cruise control and wait until they get there, so they can get a seat in front of the telly and tinny in their hand.   No wonder Tertres Rouges is so crowded!

And worse, they are the crowd who wander around in T-shirts and flip-flops, showing no respect for the commemorative nature of the event.       I've mocked the Goodwood crowd for slavish and  inappropriate 'period' wear - I mean, a city suit and briefcase?    WW2 military uniform, when there was no Goodwood during WW2?      There are some who attend CLM in suede shoes, cavalry twill trousers, a Vyella shirt and cravat, and good luck to them (they boil).    I wear a pair of white mechanics overalls and a flat cap,  cool in both meanings, and thoroughly in keeping!

BAN MODERNS AT TERTRES ROUGE!   That would be a good way of keeping it, like the old Brooklands, the right crowd and no crowding!

Rant over!    

John

PS Russell, If all your friend knows of 1960s racing is "Ford vs Ferrari", then he will be shocked and disappointed at the present start/finish straight!    Take him via Reims/Gueux (see above) where he can see and experience the "boxes" of the original pits!  As recreated for the film. J.

PPS And show your friend the memorial to the 1955 disaster, the worst in motorsport history.    You can see it here, the tiny black dot on staand wall, just on the right of the pic.   It's only about 12x24" and that's all.

Calm down! I am guilty of shorts/loud shirts and flipflops. I see no need to dress up is costume. A case of each to their own!

And some people go for a boys weekend away, with a bit of racing chucked in. I go to enjoy the cars, chew the fat, have a few beers and the occasional ice cream. I think it is an event that can be whatever you want. I take my Triumph, do some touring, and then, given the opportunity, exercise it exploring the red line (on my rev counter I am allowed to go well beyond the red line!) down the Mulsanne straight and around some of the chicanes (roundabouts). But I realise others are happy to sit and watch the racing for a bit, and even go off site to a hotel each night!

You can't ban moderns. What if somebody turns up in a new Ferrari or suchlike, or, as a friend intends, his Cossie. Classic or not? Or indeed, there will be a few whose cars misbehave just before they leave home so grab the keys to the mondeo and accept they will be teh butt of many a jibe.

29 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I fully understand, I always wondered why people wanted alternative activities at the TSSC International too. :)

A rather different kettle of fish. I have lost my mojo for wandering around fields of parked up cars. Much prefer sounds and smells of cars thesedays. Having some movement that makes an engine scream for mercy is always good, so I was pleased to see that at the TRR/TSSC meeting. Just wish I had taken my car, but the gearbox was out for the 4th time in 2 weeks... (mis sold parts were the issue in the end. Bah) Still I got a lift there and back in a waftmobile. Sorry, Stag! (very comfy tourer, plenty of space. Maybe in a few years) But it needs balance. Those who like different things are what make a good community.

I think the TRR/TSSC bash was a great start to what I hope is a new era. And I hope it diversifies further. The beer tent was excellent! Just needs more TSSC type traders/jumble etc, hopefully some will pick up on it this year.

13 hours ago, clive said:

A rather different kettle of fish. I have lost my mojo for wandering around fields of parked up cars. Much prefer sounds and smells of cars thesedays. Having some movement that makes an engine scream for mercy is always good, so I was pleased to see that at the TRR/TSSC meeting. 

I think the TRR/TSSC bash was a great start to what I hope is a new era. And I hope it diversifies further. The beer tent was excellent! Just needs more TSSC type traders/jumble etc, hopefully some will pick up on it this year.

THAT'S Triumph related, and therefore included in my concept of the TSSC International! Some of the argument for Donington, for example, was that members could park their cars then go off and watch something different entirely. Fine if you're jaded with Triumphs, but for many of us the International used to be the only event we could manage to get time off work for. For quite a few years it was the only show I got to at all, and I wanted the whole experience, not a sideshow to something else. For quite a few, and in particular the International members, this may be the only time in the year to see lots of Triumphs together, and for traders... well, what's the point in attending when half of their potential market wanders off to something else?

Donnington, I think, was teh right concept but poorly executed.

If they had run a triumph trackday, or been some classic racing etc at the track, that would have been great. On site they nearly got the tarmac loop right, but the gymkhana was a comedy sideshow, 

Santa pod likewise, all well and good, but only a handful of Triumphs had a go, and while seeing some of teh car and the technical side and sheer speed is great, it was a one-trick pony. Having a very general car show one year was marmite too, I liked seeing a lot of the modern classics, made me wish I kept my MK1 Golf GTI (until I remember how much it cost me to keep repairing as I was wet behind the ears then)

But joining up with a larger club and combining the show is a great step forward. I hope, eventually, for it to include more clubs. It really makes sense.

And iy is less I am jaded with Triumphs. I still do a fair bit of spannering, and love driving my cars. I only did about 8k in them last year, most of that outside of England! (about 1K in Scotland, 4K in europe) but hoping to increase that this year. May be a challenge as no big European trips, only Le Mans in the diary. For me I like a show to have some variety. A row of near identical cars does little for me, I prefer the well-worn with an interesting story over the freshly-restored  However, for extremes, the RS Club (absolutely HUGE these days) has a carpark for each colour of RS Focus. How you find your car at the end of the day/weekend, goodness only knows!

Anyway...I'm coming along this year. Haven't been for quite a while but looking forward to it this time. After one Le Mans Classic (not sure which one) my son and I drove off south...and ended up in Portugal (unplanned). Well worth, as others have said, taking a few days off and having a blast around. 

Here's a pic, taken by Kevin Rochfort, of a member of the 'Aces' trying to overtake me and some old Green Talbot on the Esses by the Dunlop Bridge...we all got round.

Le Mans.jpg

10 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

For quite a few, and in particular the International members, this may be the only time in the year to see lots of Triumphs together, and for traders... well, what's the point in attending when half of their potential market wanders off to something else?

Totally agree Colin! I have been a TSSC member since 1985 and I have attended  stafford twice and also attended Stratford-upon-Avon last year. Definitely the only time of the year i meet club members irl. In fact, this forum IS the TSSC for me (and many other international members).

• 2 weeks later...

I did Laon in both 2017 and 2019 and thoroughly enjoyed the event.  Used the TSSC campsite, first year tent last time caravan (which was excellent) but beware the gate peg in the middle of the entrance which plucked my starboard silencer off last year!   Organisation of the event was first class, and the refreshments on Saturday included as part of the price a bonus that we did not expect.  The Saturday gathering before the drive had an excellent collection of vehicles, an organised lunch stop,  followed by a return to the Parc; however, worth noting that driving solo with a Tulip diagram (however seemingly accurate) can be a challenge so find a trusted fellow driver to follow or a passenger.  I have not done the Sunday gathering/drive around the town as cobblestones and my nether regions in the GT6 are not compatible, choosing to do battlefield tours (it's a military thing) but I am sure somebody can chip in who has done it.  In 2017 we did Chemin-des-Dames and the museum which is a pleasant drive South of Laon with some stunning scenery.  I did an article which is in The Courier (August 2019).

Dick