SOT THE CARB AGAIN!

PatK

4 hours ago, daverclasper said:

When I first got Vit, it was breathing direct into centre of filter box. This made the filters a bit oily and was always running pretty rich low down. Managed to get valve,bracket,hoses and connecting hose stub into manifold for a tenner of Ebay. Since then the mixture is lot more stable accross the range.  

Thanks Dave, if I use the Triumph 2000 carbs, which i will have to if I can't obtain the correct 2L Mk2 ones, then I will do as Pete says and block off the breather tubes and feed the breather gas directly into the manifold via the Smiths valve. I won't be starting until the spring and the weather gets warmer and hopefully drier!  Thanks Dave.    Pat

3 hours ago, johny said:

outside of fitting bushes and line reaming them for the spindles there really is very little to 'overhauling' Strombergs - once youve bought the bits your 90% of the way there....

Thanks Johny, I will be doing that when eventually I manage to buy the correct Vitesse 2L carbs. I think that having nearly made a costly mistake with Turner carbs, I will get the kit from Burlen.     Pat

3 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Pat,

Yes all the Stromberg needles are available via the usual suspects.

I have always rated Stromberg carbs but they often get poor press when compare to the SU - there are no grounds for that and a Stromberg in decent condition will easily hold its own.

The only edge that SU has over Stromberg carbs is the needle range.

When I first purchased my Mk2, the carbs were in an awful state with serious wear on just about anything that could wear. On selling my "Turner blocked off emission carbs" thankfully at no loss, I got Gower & Lee to overhaul my original Vitesse carbs. The company did a superb job and they are still in top form, which must be almost ten years ago now; ironically the overhaul cost was less than Turner's carbs - you live and learn !!

I totally agree with johny and Paul H that once your cabs are working correctly and efficiently, then everything else is easily done at home with the assistance of this Forum. How lucky are we ??

Regards.

Richard.

Agree totally Richard, the forum members are so much better than a workshop manual and there is no substitute for experience and thank you in particular for your help.   Pat

Pat  back a few paces, if you use the carbs wit B5DG then a 2000 stlye breather should be compatible 

to fit 6AC you need a earlier air piston that takes a fixed  needle  then you need the smiths valve to match the set up 

you may need a different oil filler cap to match the breathing you end up with, some caps are  part vented some are sealed 

all to aid confusion 

pete

Thanks Pete, duly noted. I think that I will try and obtain the correct pair of Strombergs as I have plenty of time and won't be doing the conversion until the spring, but I like to find out as much as possible beforehand. Incidentally Pete, I have just been speaking to my mate at AET turbos and he said that should I need it, he can machine the 2000 inlet manifold faces parallel with each other so as to lower the carbs down to fit under the bonnet. Thanks for all your help Pete.    Pat

Yes Pete, Tony Taylor, the firms owner is an old fishing mate of mine. Each year we go up to Scotland fishing, and what Tony does not know about turbos is not worth knowing. He used to deal in German KKK turbos and a yank rang him up and asked him if he was the local KKK leader!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

been scouring the grey matter but the name escapes me , he used to buy core form me ...was it  a tony ???  ask if he visited renault /dodge at dunstable pre 2002

Your scouring is correct Pete. His name is Tony Taylor, and AET turbos is located in Huddersfield, Tony is semi retired now and his son runs the business. Next time I speak to him I will ask him about Renault/Dodge. PS. What is core that he bought from you?

How do you identify a Stromberg carb if there's no stamping on the flange and no tag on the lid?

I've just been out to the garage and found my box of spare Strombergs, I have 8 in total, 4 have tag, 2 have stampings on the flange, but 2 appear to have no markings at all?

I seem to have a 3092FN (Gt6?), 3137 (Vitesse?), 3489 (Hilman Hunter?) , 2x3581 (Triumph 2000?) and one I can't read the tag on (must get new glasses) for the ones that are marked.

the there is no real hang up 

the base carb evolutions are all changeable and can work well  but you need the needles springs damper weights and jets to meet whatever specification you need to meet 

throttle spindles may  be  extended on the wrong side but with a data to work with all  similar types can be made to be any spec.

may not be original but  it is doable 

i ran an emmision dept and we were often DIY ing how to make his out of ours to keep the workers happy 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

the there is no real hang up 

the base carb evolutions are all changeable and can work well  but you need the needles springs damper weights and jets to meet whatever specification you need to meet 

throttle spindles may  be  extended on the wrong side but with a data to work with all  similar types can be made to be any spec.

A few years back I bought a few NOS carbs, not specifically for Triumphs, but for the reason that the bodies are going to be unworn and can therefore be (hopefully) brought up to Triumph spec if or when required. At a fiver each they were too good to pass even just for the shiny screws, new dampers and other attachments.

That's what I'm hoping, Dave. A cheap source of spare parts if nothing else. Some of them are a tad hard to identify - see photo of one example. A lot bigger than what we're used to in the main body, but piston, damper etc appears the same.

Same reason why I buy the occasional NOS glass-topped Delco fuel pump - I can change the lever over, or else cannibalise them for spares, usually for a lot less money than refurb kits cost.

DSCF7577.jpg.dbcf5d9846cb61c80a19f966b3b720b6.jpg