Modern CD Head unit and Fakra connectors

Colin Lindsay

I'm changing the standard single CD player / head unit in a 2013 Mondeo for a newer single-DIN JVC unit that takes USB, and while I've got the wiring and fascia adaptors the antenna is connected by two modern FAKRA connectors for which I have no connectors. These are new to me, and the JVC head unit that I'm going to use has the older more common ISO single plug fitting - see photos of the Ford unit which can come with either fitting; mine is the double plug version on right.

ariel.jpg.2fd6d51daa897050958fd3ca11854a38.jpg  fakra.jpg.8225ee4f26478e134f039581eca9c7fc.jpg

While the connectors in the head unit are coloured white and black both cables are plain black, and the connectors on the cables are both the same, plain silver jacks. I've found a colour code chart to show what these connectors do throughout the car, and adaptors are available to connect one to the other, but am puzzled at how to connect the new unit - do I link both together ie 2 into 1, or just use one and ignore the other, and if so - which one? (What on earth is a phantom radio anyway???)

fakras.jpg.506f9d8d3ac394cfacb7f0fc37cf55aa.jpg

All advice appreciated - it's me doing the usual 'measure twice cut once' routine before I blow anything up!

Think I might have answered it myself already....

You can buy adaptors for the conversion which connect ISO to both Fakras, but one is the power to the powered antenna, so if you fit one without external power (the ghost radio, same as in ghost power to a microphone) you'll get greatly reduced reception. You require one with an additional blue lead that connects to the blue lead of your head unit.

Mine of course does not have a blue lead, but a blue and white 12v lead, so I'm assuming this is the one that requires cut and reattached to the fakra adaptor.

This is one of the JVC non-CD player shallow-depth units that I've had in two other cars so far; it started (second hand already!) in my daughters 107, and the original radio went straight back in with no code needed when we sold it. It then went in my black Mondeo again with no problems and when I sold that car I replaced it with one of the cheapie Chinese MP3 units we've talked about here on the forum, so the original radio is still sitting in my garage - they will apparently fit in any Ford provided you have the code. The JVC is now ready for fitting in the grey Mondeo once I get the cables sorted out and there's no code for the radio in the handbook - I can probably get one if needed - but it will be going back into the same car again if I ever sell it. I don't want to remove it, then find the new unit won't connect to these new connectors, and have to replace it only to find out the hard way that it now needs a code.

The JVC is a cheapie - £14 off eBay - but the sound is massively better than the original Ford unit, plus it takes a USB stick.