Core plugs - dished or bucket?

Colin Lindsay

I'm currently restoring a 1200 Herald engine from 1967 and have just removed the core plugs which are bucket type. I have a full set of dished plugs but if I remember correctly I used these on the last 1200 engine I did and there was a lip in each aperture on the side of the block that they fitted against, so that they could not be pushed too far in. On this current engine, there is no lip and in fact the old plugs just fell in as I prised them out.

The earlier engine was from late 1962 whilst this one is from 1967, and I'm wondering if there was any change to the block which meant bucket plugs must be used?

would you go brass or plated steel. realistically the original steel ones have lasted 40 plus years so brass would appear a luxury.

saying that I used brass on both Spit engines (Mk2 & 1500) I've rebuilt, mainly because a friend had a Champion box of various sized brass bucket core plugs.

Here in Aus I recently brought 2 sets of plated steel bucket types for a Spit/Gt6 off local ebay NOS for $3ea set hey at that price what the heck & they were from a local motor factors so no postage, 

The set has a surplus number of plugs and a check of sizes shows they also do the 6 potter.

If I don't use them some one in the club will have a use.

Peter T 

The earlier engine was from late 1962 whilst this one is from 1967, and I'm wondering if there was any change to the block which meant bucket plugs must be used?

I always understood that the change was with the 'hot cam' engine at GA178101E in Nov 1964, so expect more raw POWER.  I967 is also good as it should have the rubber rear crankshaft seal rather than the scroll of the earlier type (change at GA206771E in Jan 1966).

C.

23 minutes ago, Casper said:

I967 is also good as it should have the rubber rear crankshaft seal rather than the scroll of the earlier type (change at GA206771E in Jan 1966).

C.

It does, so that's another little job to do. This one is GA 232***, the other is GA119*** so quite a few little differences between the two. It's interesting trying to spot them all.

Re Peter's query, I'll go steel; I had the same sort of choice with valve guides - steel or bronze - and being a Herald for occasional use only, no racing or rallying, I reckon the steel version will be more than adequate.