oil filter

Kelv T

1 hour ago, yorkshire_spam said:

My set-up has a half thickness nut to space the adapter from the block - after an unfortunate "incident" (although my situation is complicated slightly by the take-off plate for the cooler being there as well)

I "think" mocal/Think automotive may sell an adapter plate extension that converts 5/8 to 3/4. (saw it a few years ago, not looked since so may have been discontinued)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-5-8-24-to-3-4NPT-Threaded-Oil-Filter-Adapter-Black/253565616969?hash=item3b09b04349:g:nlgAAOSwa3lb5-kC

I've found these on eBay - in fact lots of them from China - and I presume they screw down over the existing oil filter screw to enlarge it from 5/8 to 13/60, 3/4 or the like. I'm wondering if the actual nut part was ground off, or ground down to fit the space at the face of the oil filter, would they work as a filter adaptor? Thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Automotive-5-8-24-to-3-4NPT-Threaded-Oil-Filter-Adapter-Black/253565616969?hash=item3b09b04349:g:nlgAAOSwa3lb5-kC

I've found these on eBay - in fact lots of them from China - and I presume they screw down over the existing oil filter screw to enlarge it from 5/8 to 13/60, 3/4 or the like. I'm wondering if the actual nut part was ground off, or ground down to fit the space at the face of the oil filter, would they work as a filter adaptor? Thoughts?

I saw those and wondered but wasn't brave enough to try them. I've ordered this from a UK supplier:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WIX-24037-WIX-Filter-Adapter-Stud/352495933120?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

However, it's not great... I've paid a bit more than getting them from the USA... I thought from Wellingborough (20 miles away), it should get here soon but it's showing delivery on 24th December now the order has been placed.

Is anyone else interested? I could order a batch from the USA for interested forum members to share. No profit for me, just the cost of the adapter including freight etc from the USA plus postage from me via Royal Mail. Please PM me if you're after one of these adapters.

The filters are easy to get hold of here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Alfa-Romeo-Lancia-Seat-Mann-Oil-Filter-Spin-On-Type-Service-Engine/292799773590?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Nigel

PS: Or perhaps I could suggest the Club Shop buy a batch from the US?

17 hours ago, clive said:

I "think" mocal/Think automotive may sell an adapter plate extension that converts 5/8 to 3/4. (saw it a few years ago, not looked since so may have been discontinued)

I went for the mocal sandwich plate with built in thermostat, to be sure I had the "right" thing I went for whatever they said fitted the Spitfire 1500 for the threaded extender/adapter and then just shoved my Wix adapter into that. Mostly due to lack of confidence about everything fitting together and a lack of funds in the event that it didn't. So I avoided a more "bespoke" approach. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread today as I've finally got round to fitting the Mann oil filter with non-return valve and Wix adaptor, mentioned in my post on 3rd December. Finding time for little jobs like this is one of the benefits of lockdown.

Time to report back. With a 'normal' oil filter, there was clearly a problem with oil drain back on standing. Every time the Spit was started after standing overnight, the oil pressure light would take about 20 seconds to go out, while the crank knocked alarmingly. I fitted the new filter yesterday then spun the engine with plugs out until there was decent oil pressure. 24 hours later, I've been back and fired her up. The oil light went out in a second or two and there was no knocking, so a big improvement.

Thank you to everyone here for the advice, especially Clive for information on the oil filter and adaptor.

Nigel

• Like 4