Cleaning up brake fluid

iana

Ive managed to deposit a pool of brake fluid on the garage floor, missed the car so all good but any suggestions for cleaning the concrete floor? I’m assuming it won’t harm the tyres as one will be in the area of the pool

yes braake fluid disolves in water , if you still get a  stain stuff like Jizer, Gunk, Hyperclean are good for any degreasing and washing off with water

even a bottle of blue brush cleaner like polyclense is brilliant for  degreasing , and a wash with water , always handy to have on the shelf

to absorb big spills  use mop granules or bentonite  based (clay)cat litter

just a few ideas

pete  edited  

34 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

benotine

= bentonite......

Maybe also worth noting that brake (not the silicone stuff) is quite flammable.  Not volatile like petrol / thinners but has a lower self-ignition temperature.  Tip petrol or brake fluid on a hot manifold - the petrol just hisses, the brake fluid bursts into flames......

Nick

5 hours ago, iana said:

Ive managed to deposit a pool of brake fluid on the garage floor, missed the car so all good but any suggestions for cleaning the concrete floor? I’m assuming it won’t harm the tyres as one will be in the area of the pool

Elbow grease is one of the best cleaners around, water soluble good on engines non flammable just  brilliant stuff :)  99p a bottle in home and bargain or B&M https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELBOW-GREASE-ORIGINAL-500ml-All-Purpose-Degreaser-Kitchen-Bathroom-Solvent-Free/293109053864?hash=item443ea939a8:g:DJoAAOSw~Xxc8sAv  Anyone on here tried it?

Tony.

• Haha 1

Fullers Earth!   My mother always said, I didn't know which Earth I was on, this or Fullers.

So silicone brake fluid is - non-inflammable and doesn't damage paint.      But get it on a panel, and painting it after is difficult.     How to clean it off?   Just asking, for completeness, no crisis in the garage.

J.

3 hours ago, poppyman said:

Elbow grease is one of the best cleaners around, water soluble good on engines non flammable just  brilliant stuff :)  99p a bottle in home and bargain or B&M https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELBOW-GREASE-ORIGINAL-500ml-All-Purpose-Degreaser-Kitchen-Bathroom-Solvent-Free/293109053864?hash=item443ea939a8:g:DJoAAOSw~Xxc8sAv  Anyone on here tried it?

Tony.

Elbow grease? The stuff on Amazon/eBay I have accidentally seen is for homosexual use. It contains antiseptic agents in case you split a ring. I was looking for polyurethane compatible grease by the way.

elbowgrease_original_4oz_600.png

If anybody wants to buy it is available here:

https://www.clonezonedirect.co.uk/elbow-grease-original-cream-4oz

Enjoy,

Iain.

Edited by Spitfire6
added link to the cream for those that might use it.
  • Haha 2

Pete you a right, fullers earth is a term used for a range of aluminium silicates (clay particles) that can absorb multiple times their own weight/mass in moisture, kayolinite, montmorillonite, bentonite, etc. Hence the use in cat litter I suppose.