Vitesse windscreen washer

daverclasper

I would first check that the non return valves are working there is one in the washer bottle and you may need one after the pump (I think there should be one in the pump but often fails). The inner is a rubber bladder which may well have perished my spit mk2 one did and then it leaks. They can be very carefully taken apart by lifting the crimp over the plastic end. If it is the same as the spit repros are available.

there are often two valves,   one  simple plate valve in the bottle and one  simple ball valve  in/ or close to the Tee which splits off to the two jets

there is nothing in the bellows , it may have a return spring to help refill , with either valve malfunctioning you just push and pull the water but it goes nowhere

do check for solidified  deposits blocking input and jet orifices    dont use washing up liquid that will block things quickly

use a 50%concentrate and if anything add a squirt of rinse aid from a  eg dishwasher 

Pete

if you want to remove the long body jets its best to take the baulkhead off and turn it upside down  Ha !

they are long to go thro' the doubles skin of the screen surround and like all things hidden up under the dash are only accessible with hard hat varifocals and a tin of plasters   happy Christmas 

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the one way valve in the bottle had failed a bit, so replaced it . Also checked the pump and is sucking/holding pressure and working remotely using a cup of water (with new valve) and finger over the outlet stub when pump is sucking.

Not working at all now it's on car!.

Doesn't appear to be another valve down stream of pump and tube can be sucked freely.

So, obvious thing is to try an inline, one way valve on the outlet tube I guess.

Would it be ok to fit at pump end, as this will be easier?.

Any other ideas, as not sure why it won't work at all now, though I think I understand the principle of having two valves (so pump can only deliver from outlet stub when pushed in and only suck from inlet stub, on the return stroke)?.

Thanks, Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

There is either a ball bearing or glass bead, (varies with age of vehical, in the brass tube below  each jet. Under pressure the ball rises and water squirts out of the jet then the ball bearing drops back into a tiny rubber O ring seal when the pump is released. The rubber seal becomes hard, so the ball bearing can't seal and holed pressure when dropping back down, so you get the odd spit of water now and again. I've never tried replacing the seal, just replaced the complete item with spare one's  I have accumulated over the years. Even when working perfectly they are a bit marginal, so on my Vitesse I fitted an electric one along side the original.

Mark

and they are easy to replace!!!!    , hidden up under the dash  Ha  sticky plaster job.

you can get inline NR valves to add to the outlet tube. as a fix .

the in and out on the pump bellows is of no importance as both are common / same its the valves that make it work 

most go electric ,  and 6 squirts and the little bottle is emptied  but it works 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

the in and out on the pump bellows is of no importance as both are common / same its the valves that make it work 

Dho, of course, now you say.

Have ordered an inline, I'll fit, just after outlet (either stub). Hopefully sort it.

Thanks, Dave 

You can convert the bellows to operate a Hoover washing machine switch to control the electric pump . Here’s a link to the thread

I’ve done this on my Vitesse and works well . The Mot guy was suitably impressed as he wasn’t expecting the full screen to be covered !

Paul