Hub puller needed

DrKai

27 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

thought yours was a rotaflex  you dont need a hub puller unless something has gone wrong 

the hub should pull off with fingers its a straight spline  not a taper

Pete

Though not absolutely necessary, I've found the Churchill design hub puller is useful to push the Rotoflex outer axle shafts back through the hub bearings when replacing the rubber couplings.

Nigel

Take care with a 3 leg puller. If the hub is really tight, the flange can be distorted by the legs of the puller. That's why I like the factory spec Churchill hub puller, even with Rotoflex hubs.

Others may disagree and say this approach is overkill. But there is simply no risk of damage using the factory puller.

Nigel

17 minutes ago, DrKai said:

friend is going to lend me a cheapo 3 arm jobby. see if that does the trick

Make sure he's a good friend that can laugh when you bring him back a handful of bits. :)

In my experience three legged pullers (or two legged too) rarely exert enough pull, especially on a hub, before something goes bang - and I'm the King of cheapie three legged autojumble-stall puller buyers. Good quality ones are a different matter, but cost accordingly.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

if you bend a hub get it skimmed on a lathe to true it up again

agree a legged puller and triumph hubs are a route to ......the dark side 

see the post we did on quicknick's  stuck rota hub    

Hello All

You have to be careful if you do this I did this because I have a lathe and a bit of old drive shaft I mount it on so the finished job look good pressed all the studs in and the noticed they were point a funny angles!

So I would say only if VERY slightly bent(I have straightened mine in the press so they look reasonable !

Roger

Pete

As one who actually DID distort a flange, using a Strong-back and 4 Bolts. Fortunately it was recoverable with a light skim in the lathe, But again, I am fortunate enough to have a lathe (1944 build) and the skills to operate it. Otherwise it is a case of finding someone to do the work, and Machining time these days (commercially) is expensive. Hence the DIY Puller in my Earlier post which whilst not pretty holds the Flange flat using 4 bolts and a variety of clamps and applied "urge" backed by a large hammer cracked the taper. BTW. it is advisable to leave the nut on a couple of turns or the whole thing falls off. Normally, on your foot!.

Kai,

Have a look at eBay item 174033030559

It is a 6x stud puller, BUT it will be worth asking the seller the PCD of the opposing bolt holes - it will certainly fit 4x studs and hopefully it will be a small chassis Triumph PCD.

You could make an adaptor plate for this puller to fit the Triumph PCD, as such there are possibilities with this.

Good luck.

Richard.

1 hour ago, classiclife said:

Kai,

Have a look at eBay item 174033030559

It is a 6x stud puller, BUT it will be worth asking the seller the PCD of the opposing bolt holes - it will certainly fit 4x studs and hopefully it will be a small chassis Triumph PCD.

You could make an adaptor plate for this puller to fit the Triumph PCD, as such there are possibilities with this.

Good luck.

Richard.

Sorry, maybe I'm being obtuse... But I can't see how a 6 hole hub puller would fit on a Triumph 4 hole hub on more than 2 out of the 4 studs. Might as well use a 2 leg puller with all the attendant risk of distorting the flange.

If the hub is tight enough to need a puller, borrow or buy the proper Triumph hub puller. It will be much cheaper in the long run.

Nigel

Yes you are correct of course, Nigel.

I thought that 4x of the holes on the hub puller would be square, on looking they are not and as you say only 2x would align - pity as that is the type of puller required.

Some classic car clubs loan pullers and spring compressors against a deposit, pity the TSSC cannot do it as it has worked well with other clubs.

Regards.

Richard.

12 hours ago, classiclife said:

Some classic car clubs loan pullers and spring compressors against a deposit, pity the TSSC cannot do it as it has worked well with other clubs.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Some larger TSSC local area groups offer tool loan to their members. Also some generous well-equipped club members are prepared to lend tools or even help.

Nigel

15 hours ago, classiclife said:

Regards.

Richard.

Nice in theory, but fraught with peril in reality. Having been 'stung' recently, by lending a reference book to a forum poster in need who then promptly left the forum, taking the book with him (and who as far as I know never joined the TSSC), it's open to abuse and in many cases more trouble than it's worth.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Nice in theory, but fraught with peril in reality. Having been 'stung' recently, by lending a reference book to a forum poster in need who then promptly left the forum, taking the book with him (and who as far as I know never joined the TSSC), it's open to abuse and in many cases more trouble than it's worth.

Though, if only offered to members with a deposit of the value and maybe a smallish fee to cover "general wear and tear". maybe workable?.

13 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Though, if only offered to members with a deposit of the value and maybe a smallish fee to cover "general wear and tear". maybe workable?.

Workable until the 'member' decides he doesn't want to be a member any more, and off he goes with the tools... unless there's a refundable deposit which is more than the tools cost? It always ends up a lot of work, and a lot of trouble, for somebody!

Much easier at local level where you can send the boys round to retrieve it.. :)

The "Truth and honesty" factor is a (sad) function of modern society. I am afraid. I have "lost" tools lent to family over the years even!. Now if a tool goes. I go with it!. Having said that. My DIY fabricated hub puller owes me about a fiver. So, if you live within reach of HU17, and want to borrow?. £10 and if you return it £10 back.?

11 minutes ago, PeteH said:

The "Truth and honesty" factor is a (sad) function of modern society. I am afraid. I have "lost" tools lent to family over the years even!.

Not just a modern thing, twas ever thus. I had a torque wrench go missing with a 'mate' back in the Seventies.

Nigel