Good morning and a question

Hi there.

I don't have a Triumph at the moment but have owned (and loved) in the past a 2.5 PI and a 2500S as well as running a Stag as a daily driver for 5 years and 70,000 miles. Not perhaps the wisest move as it did need constant maintenance!

Now retired and as well as the motorcycles in the garage (1952 Norton ES2 and 1982 Moto Guzzi V50) I have a strange desire to return to Triumph ownership and am considering a Spitfire.

However. I'm 6ft 2 tall and fairly well built (OK then chubby) and have the usual flexibility problems of a 70 year old including a replacement left knee. I last drove a Spit in the 1970s and seem to remember it was a fairly tight squeeze then. My question is, would I still be able to fit? I wouldn't anticipate using it in the wet so not bothered about being able to squeeze under the hood.

Any helpful comments gratefully received.

stag1.bmp

Im 74  @ 5' 10"  x 14 st,.   with all the creaks and groans of life , the back is less than flexible and i can only get in a spitfire if the roofs down , and need a block and tackle to get out 

a GT6 cant get head past the roof if bums on the seat  , Vitesse Saloon,   no problems , Stag no problems  ,2000/2500 saloon no problems 

but anything resembling a roller skate is a bend too far

Pete

I endorse Pete’s findings. When I was looking for a small triumph I found I could get in both the spitfire and gt6 but couldn’t get out . The Herald was fine and settled on a Vitesse saloon as personally found the convertible too draughty and noisy . Chose a sunroof version with overdrive and never looked back 

I’m a mere youngster compared with Peter as I’m only 72 😱

1E4F78A1-BA78-4A95-8C7D-B14CF2D326AE.thumb.jpeg.358316e7ac6eabdad056f6d20c3b0af1.jpeg

Paul 

Over seventy, over six foot and drive a Mk1 2L Vitesse, only noisy and draughty in my opinion if you drive it with the hood up.

But why would you do that, but have had some odd looks driving in rain with roof down only get wet if speed drops in traffic.

You could always attend an area meet to try for size and accessibility.

Regards

Paul

Doug - you've given me hope, just as I was starting to consider the dark side of an MGB (am I allowed to mention them?)

Roger - flog the bikes - no way. In fact I'm considering extending the stable. I have been thinking about a Scott but think I have decided that would have been several complications too far.

All this is prompted by a (hopefully) imminent move which will not only give me more bike room but also a lovely extra garage which is currently cosseting a 1920s Rolls Royce. Sadly the current occupant isn't leaving that for me......

If any Spitfire owner in the west midlands would let me try their car for size I would be eternally (well for a month or two anyway) grateful.

I would add the TR7 as another option. Loads of room and very comfortable, more so than my Mk3 MX5. The high body sill on the TR7 can make getting in and out difficult for some, but I am in my 70's and have no problems.

I agree with Doug go to a local area meeting and try out the Triumphs. You will find the people will be helpful.

Dave

I would go back to a Stag Ian. I am 6"1" close to 18 stone dodgy back and knees, i tried vitesse, gt6 spitfire tr7 ect, just fancied sportier plus poss rag top. Ended up with a Stag to go with my Dolly and 2500S all auto's.... As my back op left me unable to press clutches when stuck in traffic. Also the Stag having wide opening doors is nice to get in and out of :) 

Tony. 

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on your question, but in the final analysis the only way you're going to know for sure is to actually try each of the cars that you're interested in. The easiest way to accomplish that is to get in touch with your local TSSC group and go to their next meeting, there you're likely to meet owners of a variety of the models that you're interested in, all of whom I'm sure would be happy to let you try their cars for size. 

Just remember though, that being physically able to shoe horn yourself into a car isn't necessarily going to guarantee an enjoyable driving experience once you're there!!

Ian

4 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on your question, but in the final analysis the only way you're going to know for sure is to actually try each of the cars that you're interested in. The easiest way to accomplish that is to get in touch with your local TSSC group and go to their next meeting, there you're likely to meet owners of a variety of the models that you're interested in, all of whom I'm sure would be happy to let you try their cars for size. 

Just remember though, that being physically able to shoe horn yourself into a car isn't necessarily going to guarantee an enjoyable driving experience once you're there!!

Ian

A good point Ian, i have to say i found that going to various car shows was a great help as well as a lot of owners had some minor health problem and would say how they got on with their own cars and others.

Tony.

7 minutes ago, SixasStandard said:

Ian

A good point Ian, i have to say i found that going to various car shows was a great help as well as a lot of owners had some minor health problem and would say how they got on with their own cars and others.

Tony.

Thanks all, lots to ponder.

I did love the Stag but don't really want to take another one on as it would remind me of some of the heartbreak......

I'm unlikely to do big mileages but take the point about the difference between being able to get in / out and actually enjoying the process.

No rush as this is a medium term project but as said probably I need to try some in the flesh. I'm not really a club night sort of person (I found the Stag Owners' emphasis on "social" events quite off-putting) but going to a couple of shows is probably a good plan.

Ian,

6ft 2" and admittedly chubby!       You are in the same league as Mark Field, who once raced a Spitfire, and found the only way to fit in was by taking out the seat webbing and letting his bum rest on the floor!   There are other solutions.   Dan Gurney was 6ft 4, and to drive the GT40 it was equiped with what has become known as the Gurney Bubble, a bulge in the roof section of the drirver's door:

Image result for GT40 Gurney Bubble"

You could put one in a Spitfire/GT6 roof.   Tres stylish, non?

John

At 6'4 and 16 stone I find the GT6 a tight squeeze, especially to get out of after a long run. No problem whilst driving but I sometimes fall out onto the ground after some distance.

For ease of getting in and out I'd stick with the Vitesse / Herald camp, I've had no problems in or out (or whilst driving) saloons.

As I'm cursed  (blessed?) with a long body and shortish legs, I wouldn't be looking at a hard top anyway, much as I like the styling of the GT6. And would probably never have the hood up on a soft top.

I see there's a Triumph / MG spares day at Stoneleigh on the 9th February. This may be a good opportunity for a browse around. I might pick up some bits for the Norton as well.

And I can never have too many cable ties.....