Jump to content

Bag of Sand.


Paula
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello!

My lovely old Mum has let me know she's put aside £1000 for my big Five-O Birthday in May!
She suggested I spend it on the Vitesse. (She's not a fan of the little rusty bits and would be much happier if I had a Ford Ka)

I was thinking of taking it to a trusted body shop and seeing what would be the best places to spend it. There are rust holes on the rear deck bit where the roof sits. Water gets into the boot. There's also some bubbling paint at the bottom of rear wings in front of the rear wheels.

Would it be crazy to go somewhere and announce I have a grand and I want to spend it? Is it enough to get some of these jobs done? I have no idea how much this could cost. 

Finally. Where would be the best place to take it? I'm based in South London.

al-catpone-cat-wing-a-cigar-guns-and-money-1452829368.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Paula,

Priority must be the rear deck as this has notable water ingress, this needs dealing with or otherwise the boot area will rot out - I'm pretty sure it is showing at least some surface rust in that area already.

Bubbling falls in to second place re the above.

You obviously do not play poker !! I would keep your £1K close to your chest and would recommend getting a few quotes first to compare - take photos of the areas requiring repair and send accordingly rather than trying to describe on the phone. Visual rust is the tip of the iceberg, but I believe you are doing the correct thing by getting this situation addressed asap.

Regards.

Richard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Paula,

Priority must be the rear deck as this has notable water ingress, this needs dealing with or otherwise the boot area will rot out - I'm pretty sure it is showing at least some surface rust in that area already.

Bubbling falls in to second place re the above.

You obviously do not play poker !! I would keep your £1K close to your chest and would recommend getting a few quotes first to compare - take photos of the areas requiring repair and send accordingly rather than trying to describe on the phone. Visual rust is the tip of the iceberg, but I believe you are doing the correct thing by getting this situation addressed asap.

Regards.

Richard.

I Botched it up inside with all sorts of gloop a couple of years ago, So it's not pretty inside. I'll get pictures.
Poker face engaged

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent, progress already and not a penny spent 😁 !!

Will be worth posting some photos on this thread, where you will get sound advice and opinion before confronting body repair shops etc.

Regards.

Richard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Paula said:

I was thinking of taking it to a trusted body shop and seeing what would be the best places to spend it. There are rust holes on the rear deck bit where the roof sits. Water gets into the boot. There's also some bubbling paint at the bottom of rear wings in front of the rear wheels.

Would it be crazy to go somewhere and announce I have a grand and I want to spend it? Is it enough to get some of these jobs done? I have no idea how much this could cost. 

Richard's right - play your cards close, plead poverty, and see what the best price is for the work you need done.

You have three options - either replace the entire panel that requires work, replace a small pre-formed section, or have it patched. Full replacement panels will be expensive, but at least they'll be complete and solid. Repair sections will take care of the rusty bits, but obviously have a seam (probably visible only to yourself and the MOT tester) unless you have a very good bodyworker. The third option is to have small repair sections set in, just small pieces of sheet metal, to fill the holes without replacing the entire panel or a large pre-formed section.

They're all going to cost, and the better the job, and especially the more fiddly and time consuming the job, the more it will cost!

Prioritise the areas, anything structural or which will affect MOT is the highest priority; anything letting water in or allowing moisture or dirt to reach important areas is next, and cosmetic bits are the last priority. DO NOT give a bodyshop carte blanche to do what they want; no matter who they are, with the best will in the world, they'll still sting you, and quite happily tell you that all of the work carried out was absolutely necessary. Get a bit of help to determine what you need done and what's the best value for money within your budget, and then see what is available to repair those bits - panels or repair sections.

Price round for panels or repair sections - they're usually all made by the same manufacturer anyway and the suppliers just add their whack on.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Richard's right - play your cards close, plead poverty, and see what the best price is for the work you need done.

You have three options - either replace the entire panel that requires work, replace a small pre-formed section, or have it patched. Full replacement panels will be expensive, but at least they'll be complete and solid. Repair sections will take care of the rusty bits, but obviously have a seam (probably visible only to yourself and the MOT tester) unless you have a very good bodyworker. The third option is to have small repair sections set in, just small pieces of sheet metal, to fill the holes without replacing the entire panel or a large pre-formed section.

They're all going to cost, and the better the job, and especially the more fiddly and time consuming the job, the more it will cost!

Prioritise the areas, anything structural or which will affect MOT is the highest priority; anything letting water in or allowing moisture or dirt to reach important areas is next, and cosmetic bits are the last priority. DO NOT give a bodyshop carte blanche to do what they want; no matter who they are, with the best will in the world, they'll still sting you, and quite happily tell you that all of the work carried out was absolutely necessary. Get a bit of help to determine what you need done and what's the best value for money within your budget, and then see what is available to repair those bits - panels or repair sections.

Price round for panels or repair sections - they're usually all made by the same manufacturer anyway and the suppliers just add their whack on.

 

It just got a fresh MOT last week. So I think the leaky bits are my No.1 priority.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The good news, Paula, is a lot of people / owners have probably seen a lot worse corrosion in those areas than your photos. Yes add a bit of extra rust progression for time lapse, but still not dreadful; I was anticipating serious rust right across the panel area and / or numerous holes.

I reckon Colin is on the correct track - get those areas cut out and patched which will sort the issue and probably the most cost effective. Being a single skinned panel is an advantage as well.

It would also be a very good idea to get some anti-corrosion product on the underside of that panel and adjacent seams when the work is complete.

I believe things are looking up.

Regards.

Richard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a good question, Paula, as the panel is not a difficult or intricate repair.

Yes you could go to a run-of-the-mill bodyshop and I'm sure they would be okay, albeit those type of firms do charge high end. Personally, I would make enquiries locally and certainly on here (as in I would expect some suggestions to venues via the Forum) to identify a body shop that does classics in the main.

That has to be your start point.

Regards.

Richard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, classiclife said:

That's a good question, Paula, as the panel is not a difficult or intricate repair.

Yes you could go to a run-of-the-mill bodyshop and I'm sure they would be okay, albeit those type of firms do charge high end. Personally, I would make enquiries locally and certainly on here (as in I would expect some suggestions to venues via the Forum) to identify a body shop that does classics in the main.

That has to be your start point.

Regards.

Richard.

Fab. Will do!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, classiclife said:

They are certainly a good start point for an initial estimate - the photos will be of immense help. Pity they are not based south of the river for you !!

 

My Mum is in Hertfordshire. I drive up there quite often. I'll pop in next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paula, dont go into any garage acting as a mere female, a lot will take advantage and bung the price up :( This sort of thing still goes on. Try and get advice off female friends and see where they take their cars? Then go in that garage and ask who they use for bodywork?  It could save you a lot of money, and dont be put off by the smaller garage no matter how scruffy....

Tony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Paula, dont go into any garage acting as a mere female, a lot will take advantage and bung the price up :( This sort of thing still goes on. Try and get advice off female friends and see where they take their cars? Then go in that garage and ask who they use for bodywork?  It could save you a lot of money, and dont be put off by the smaller garage no matter how scruffy....

Tony.

My local garage are very good. They know i'm pretty savvy i'll see if they can recommend anywhere. it really is still a problem in some places unfortunately. The child in Halfords that tried to tell me that fitting a battery "Isn't as easy as you'd think" soon found out i know exactly how easy it is.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paula, all good advice.

40 minutes ago, Paula said:

I think the roof needs to come off to get to the area. How about Moordale Motors?

Picton Sportscars are up that way too, just off Jnc. 25 of the M25. No connection except I've been a satisfied customer for over 15 years. He doesn't keep his web site up to date - the phone number is an old one. I have 07853-202021. I wouldn't trust that email either - he doesn't "do" internet, much prefers cars!

Cheers, Richard

PS: If you visit you may see my Atlas at the back of the workshop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...