gt6 mk3 roto to non roto frame shock absorbers

Hi all,

As the title says i'm going from a rotoflex setup to CV shafts on my '72 gt6 and i want to mount the shocks on the frame.

From what i gather the frame extensions were to clear the rotoflex setup so i won't need them with the CV shafts ?

If that's correct , which rear shocks do i buy? standard non roto spitfire/gt6 ?

cheers paul

My view is - If you have the original shock mounts standard rotoflex shocks are the correct ones - basically its the length that changes with the frame extensions and CV conversion does not change the length. I think the extensions are used when the original mounts become unserviceable. So if you are going off the chassis frame and not body mount they will need to be the shorter ones. I used the original mounts for my conversion sorry not the best picture of the mount. Of course if you are changing the overall setup then I'd bow to more knowledgeable people here on the forum.

IMG_4903.thumb.JPG.894b8ce39c3c4b5bf68b129500ee9026.JPG

Adrian

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

Hi all,

As the title says i'm going from a rotoflex setup to CV shafts on my '72 gt6 and i want to mount the shocks on the frame.

From what i gather the frame extensions were to clear the rotoflex setup so i won't need them with the CV shafts ?

If that's correct , which rear shocks do i buy? standard non roto spitfire/gt6 ?

cheers paul

I have fitted CV rotoflex to my spitfire, and used the Koni shocks that were on my mk1 vitesse and then spitfire. So use std spitfire length shocks, work fine. I say std, please do not use the cheap black ones... Koni are excellent and I have no complaints after 20+ years of use and probably 80K miles. Still on the same setting as when initailly fitted/tweeked to get them correct.

So you don't need the extensions. However, they have an advantage that they sit the shock more vertical. Downside is that nobody seems to sell the correct length shock, shorter than std spit etc length.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clive said:

So you don't need the extensions. However, they have an advantage that they sit the shock more vertical. Downside is that nobody seems to sell the correct length shock, shorter than std spit etc length.

TSSC club shop used to sell the extension brackets with correct, shorter Spax shocks. That was 10+ years ago, don't know if they still stock the right shocks now.

Nigel

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

TSSC club shop used to sell the extension brackets with correct, shorter Spax shocks. That was 10+ years ago, don't know if they still stock the right shocks now.

Nigel

Nigel, a friend has a mk3 rotoflex GT6. He had the club kit, supplied with Gaz. Kept bottoming out.

Gaz altered teh shocks (shortened I suppose) and no more issues. But the Club ought to be supplying the shorted shocks as std.  (and really ought to be selling better shocks IMO, but Koni are not cheap)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul H said:

Started the shocker settings at 5 , much too hard and settled at position 2

Hello Paul,

Fully agree, I've just had the same situation - a long story via an odd issue, but in the end I needed to readjust the GAZ shocks to position 2; the rear of the car now handles much better with a balanced ride.

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

spax tend to need to be even lower    makes you wonder why adjustable' s are so popular  i had gaz and spax in my Vit 6 and depending on boot and passenger  count 

always twiddling ,     

pete

Yes, they have a huge range available, but only the first few clicks are usable. There is an answer, begins with K!

As to the club shop's kit, I would be asking very straight questions. My friends shocks were definitely too long. 

13 minutes ago, Don Cook said:

Ahhh!! I fitted spax adjustables years ago but they sit quite low at the back (too short??). I wonder if I should move them off the body mount to the chassis mount now I have CV shafts???

I wouldn't expect the rear shocks to affect ride height. That's much more likely to be a tired spring.

Nigel