Jump to content

1978 Spitfire 1500 sound deadening


Chris Bracey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Chris,

I have a 1973 GT6, (bought in 78) and that had underlay, so I would have thought yours did also. However, I didn't replace it with the original stuff, I used SilentCoat, widely available on Ebay. Thinner than underlay and very good heat and sound deadening, but surprisingly heavy.

Doug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Mark,

Same here, as Doug, I have used Silent Coat and found it ideal - you can get different thicknesses to suit what ever the application is. Very easy to use and very malleable, all at a decent price as well.

Regards.

Richard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Anglefire said:

I aim to change my carpets - and will fit some form of sound deadening material - but not sure I could cope with heavy - not given my current weight 🤣🤣

Not to be offensive Mark but doesn't that mean that you can get away with heavy, given that it will compress more?

I'm no feather here myself but I use the old fashioned felt on mine and it works fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Nothing worse than the smell of soggy wool and old fashioned felt!

Doug

Isn't that a Yankee Candle scent? Very nostalgic for old car owners... :)

I use heavy felt in the GT6 (but not open to the elements, as you say!) as it pads the carpets out to an almost luxurious softness... very Jag-like!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

For the full Jag experience you need "Limp Home Mode"  :angry:  Which seems to happen at the moment whenever it rains!

I wonder if it's the carpet underlay!!! :lol:

I wouldn't be surprised if there was another bloody sensor on the carpet! :angry:

db

I've given up on playing with modern cars... too many weird things.

When I slow at junctions or traffic lights the wipers go from 'on' to 'intermittent' until I drive off again, and the sound from the radio fades as the engine revs drop, unless the eco setting is on and the engine stops altogether. I had to admit defeat when trying to connect a replacement head unit to the Mondeo - connect to bluetooth, connect to steering wheel controls, power for the ariels, Fakra adaptor, loom adaptor... then when it was finally in it wouldn't work at all so the original has gone back in and sod the sound quality, which is sadly quite poor. Apparently there's already a USB socket hidden behind the glovebox so I'll explore that for USB stick connectivity. It's getting positively scary. You no longer feel that you're in control; it's either the car or the manufacturer who decides things these days.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've given up on playing with modern cars... too many weird things.

When I slow at junctions or traffic lights the wipers go from 'on' to 'intermittent' until I drive off again, and the sound from the radio fades as the engine revs drop, unless the eco setting is on and the engine stops altogether. I had to admit defeat when trying to connect a replacement head unit to the Mondeo - connect to bluetooth, connect to steering wheel controls, power for the ariels, Fakra adaptor, loom adaptor... then when it was finally in it wouldn't work at all so the original has gone back in and sod the sound quality, which is sadly quite poor. Apparently there's already a USB socket hidden behind the glovebox so I'll explore that for USB stick connectivity. It's getting positively scary. You no longer feel that you're in control; it's either the car or the manufacturer who decides things these days.

 

 

best and easiest thing to do is upgrade the speakers in the car, made alot of difference in my ford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First thing I did, Ludwig, and amazingly I was able to do it quite simply with only small wiring connectors required! All four replaced and it made a massive difference to the muffled crackling that passed for sound when I bought it. I'd love to be able to add USB connectivity to it, as the jack input for iPods is terrible, and I have a lot of music on USB stick. Sadly I don't have the funds for one of those super duper double-din USB and Bluetooth players that might be easier to fit than my JVC.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

First thing I did, Ludwig, and amazingly I was able to do it quite simply with only small wiring connectors required! All four replaced and it made a massive difference to the muffled crackling that passed for sound when I bought it. I'd love to be able to add USB connectivity to it, as the jack input for iPods is terrible, and I have a lot of music on USB stick. Sadly I don't have the funds for one of those super duper double-din USB and Bluetooth players that might be easier to fit than my JVC.

 

just be careful, on some ford's if you remove the factory head unit it can have an effect on the dash clock if you have one.

even on bog standard ford's everything is linked together.

paul

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In My old Land Rover discovery (2006) it was very hard to replace (used to be near impossible until recently I think) the head unit in the cars with the better stereo - because it was the master unit for one (fibre) of the comms networks (it had three, high speed, low speed and fibre ). One way was to do a lot of messing and reconfiguring of the config file to get it downgraded as well as network changes.  And as said before, the clock on the dash would disappear.  (It the firmware was the later version )

I never bothered- it was ok - made a noise. 
 

As it was originally designed by ford I would think the mondeo is very similar. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ludwig113 said:

just be careful, on some ford's if you remove the factory head unit it can have an effect on the dash clock if you have one.

even on bog standard ford's everything is linked together.

paul

Found that once removed. The dash display shows everything, from a small model of the car which indicates lights, doors open etc and when the radio is on, station, or CD track and a lot of other detail, seven or eight drop-down menu selections. Once I removed the head unit it was all gone bar two. 

I like my music, and nothing annoys me more than some kind of sound imperfection that I can't fix. You just know it's wrong, but can do nothing about it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My next door neighbour's BMW got broken into on his drive and the radio stolen. He said "The joke's on them, the radio and speakers are coded, one wont work without the other" Two nights later they came back and took the speakers. 

Doug

That's a strange thing to steal? I thought they only nicked indicator stalks off BMW's....

Tony. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My next door neighbour's BMW got broken into on his drive and the radio stolen. He said "The joke's on them, the radio and speakers are coded, one wont work without the other" Two nights later they came back and took the speakers. 

Doug

Coded speakers? Oh Lord not something else to go wrong...

If they stole my car they'd probably return the CDs as completely useless to anyone else.. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...