Hello from Leeds

Not at all Colin, i appreciate all input. The original clutch line (to me) looked awful (in mid air) so i thought i'd try and tidy things up. The clips i am waiting for are modern white plastic affairs. I am in two minds regarding the existing metal clips for the brake line, do i change to single plastic clips to maintain appearance?

Thing is the car will never be a garage queen. The floorpans and paint finish are testament to that. I want it to look good but i also want to (occasionally) rag its' ar$e off and not worry about supermarket dings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Simons3 said:

I am in two minds regarding the existing metal clips for the brake line, do i change to single plastic clips to maintain appearance?

This is the dilemma. Sometimes we use original parts simply because they're what was fitted at the time, and after losing paint, patience and probably skin, go to the more modern alternative which fits first time. Modern brake line clips will do nicely. 

Well she runs but, fuel leak at top of new fuel pump....crap metal washer swapped out, now all good. Slight leak from exhaust manifold....bugger. New gasket ordered. Other than that all good engine wise.

Other things to note are fuel sender float full of fuel so constantly reads 3/4 full, new unit incoming. Wiper motor needs new bushes, ordered a kit.

Oil pressure hot idle 35psi and 70psi at 2000revs.

Smiths temp guage reads 'high' at a probed 76.5c. All my other instruments are Jaeger, could this be the issue? 

I am having the 1/4 and centre front valances repainted and should be with me on Friday.

Nearly there.

What is the heritage of your temperature gauge sender? It's not at all unknown for them to fail partially. Also, check the voltage regulator. Normally the clue that this is at fault is that you see similar problems with the fuel gauge but you have a dodgy sender so you may well be seeing that!

the temp and fuel gauges are both controlled by the voltage stabiliser , when this fails you get no gauges if its dead or high reading if its putting out uncontrolled 12 or more volts , its the first culprit in high needle readings  its fitted on the back of the speedo .

one other high reader is if the sender is from earlier cars and its a non stabilised sender this gives silly readings

sender for stabilised gauges  GTR108

for non stabilised gauges 121997

they cant be   intermixed 

if you can test the stabiliser output with a meter its 10.5 volts   in a pulsed  10-0-10-0  

and with 76.5 in the header i would expect nearer 82c as the std stat setting so a new thermostat is likely 

pete

Thanks for that info, is that the stabilizer on the rear of the speedo?

Re fuel guage, if i remove the fuel sender from the tank and manually lift and lower the arm the guage reads accordingly.

I think i will swap out the temp sensor for another new unit and see what that throws up. Was a '72 mk 4 Spit all Jaeger clocks or a mix of Jaeger and Smith?

Fairly simple with a pair of extension leads to dunk your sensor in a water bath of known temperature, and see what the reading says.     If you heat it in a pan of water from room temp to boiling, then you have a  calibrated  gauge/sensor, or else the sensor can shown to be faulty.  For instance, the red curve sensor should be chucked!

1000475013_tempgaugeresponses.jpg.04272047773f0f33e2e3ce75cccc3146.jpg

New copies of the OE sensors are remarkably fragile and can fail after a few weeks use.

Thanks John, I will test this sensor.

The stat is a brand new 82° unit from JP. I probably hadn't got upto full running temp when i took the rad reading, i took it smartish when i saw the dash guage rise to where it was on the picture.

This car is starting to fight me 🤔

• 6 months later...

Little update on proceedings with regards to my seized engine.

For once lady luck was on my side. 

After dropping the oil i noticed nothing untoward with the condition of it, no shiney metal flakes etc.

So i took the starter off and had a peek inside and saw this.

20200629_152224_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.b4faef3aed7cfdb3b5eb851d9211b175.jpg

What could it be? 

Off with the bellhousing and look what fell out...

20200819_163430_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.5b2d30ccee7b454f74ed3430b6f6f655.jpg

It somehow got lodged in the flywheel teeth.

The to$$ers i paid to finish the car off used over length bolts and cut them down. They must have done this with the starter motor off, and into the bellhousing it went.

Car is now running sweet as a nut, just needs a tune up.

• Like 4