Fuel pipe olives

Rijidij

I recently replaced my fuel pump, the result of which was a leak from the inlet pipe when parked facing downhill. 🙄

I temporarily stopped it with an o-ring and ordered new tube and fittings, which arrived today.

The olive on the tube is a very close fit. Are there any trade secrets for assembling fuel connections easily without damaging the olive or tube?

TIA

It is the same principle as a plumbing compression fitting - ensure the threads are clean and square when you tighten the nut, as the nut tightens the olive expands to make a liquid tight seal. Do not go mad trying to tighten, a tight pinch should be sufficient and if not just pinch it a tad more. It will all make sense when you are doing it.

Regards.

Richard.

8 minutes ago, Rijidij said:

The olive on the tube is a very close fit.

Sorry, I meant to say it should be tight but not so much that it does not slide on the pipe.

Regards.

Richard.

make sure there's no burr on the outside end of the pipe that stops the olive slipping on, you may just need to clean the outside of the pipe at the olive end of the pipe with a bit of fine emery paper to assist the olives placement.

I've had the opposite on an old pipe olive where there's been a leak thro the olive on the pump inlet & I've lightly soldered the olive in place. Had the car 49 years and hasn't subsequently leaked even after frequent dis-assemblies.

Peter T

11 hours ago, Rijidij said:

Thanks. When I said close fit, I meant that I can barely get it on to the tube. 

Drop it in boiling water; it should expand enough to get it over the pipe. Once on, unless it's an amazingly solid grip, the nut should move it fully into place when tightened.

This is a problem I'm encountering more and more when suppliers try to mix metric and imperial fittings; with brakes for example the pipe is often the original 3/8 but the olive is metric so either so tight that it doesn't fit, or else so loose that it leaks.

Hi Folks,

if the supplier sent the wrong parts then why not get on the phone and read the riot act. Petrol systems and brakes are important systems.

However if you are happy to fit bad parts then fine. Do not accept poor rubbish.

It is easy to do it right. Often they just don;t bother.

Roger

53 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Drop it in boiling water; it should expand enough to get it over the pipe. Once on, unless it's an amazingly solid grip, the nut should move it fully into place when tightened.

This is a problem I'm encountering more and more when suppliers try to mix metric and imperial fittings; with brakes for example the pipe is often the original 3/8 but the olive is metric so either so tight that it doesn't fit, or else so loose that it leaks.

I cant say that i have seen an olive on a brake line Colin? I would have thought it a bit dangerous. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick? (olive)?

Tony.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, poppyman said:

I cant say that i have seen an olive on a brake line Colin? I would have thought it a bit dangerous. Or have i got the wrong end of the stick? (olive)?

Tony.

Made a flexible hose for the clutch on my Vitesse, not sure I would trust myself to do some for brakes.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/knowledge_base_articles/view/how-to-assemble-your-own-brakeline-266

Regards

Paul

1 hour ago, poppyman said:

Tony.

Ok so I meant the brake pipe end rather than olive. Early morning.

Ate an olive once, it was like eating an eyeball. Never again.

• Haha 2

Love olives especially stuffed with anchovies, always bring lots of tins back when we go to Spain. Oysters I prefer cooked, raw are ok too. Livings in France snails with (lots of) garlic are fairly common. Contrary to what you might think frogs’ legs aren't on the menu very often but if they are I go for them. The local delicacy is boudin noir (black pudding) nothing like the UK version.

All this is making me hungry – let’s get back to the original subject, whatever it is, my waistline will be better off

I don't think they're necessarily the wrong parts - but poor tolerances.
According to my ancient Halfords vernier caliper the tube is slightly out of round. 

I kept pushing the nut on then used fine emery on the shiny patches until it was on far enough for the olive.
It may have been overkill, but I also polished out the emery marks with Autosol.

The hot water trick helped to get the olive on. Finally, fit to the car and check for leaks... So far, so good.