Fitting wing mirrors to a GT6

Acole

Hi,

I have recently bought a GT6 which doesn’t have wing mirrors. I plan to fit some but was looking for guidance as to how easy or difficult a job this is to do for someone who has not a lot of mechanical know-how or experience. 

Thanks
A

Hi A,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the GT6.

In my humble opinion mirrors are best fitted to the doors rather than the wings. If you use the search facility of the forum you’ll find a number of discussions on the various options etc. The Club shop has a number on sale.

What I’d very strongly advise is not to be tempted to drive without mirrors for the sake of keeping the car “original”. It’s really scary!!

Paul

11 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

Hi A,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the GT6.

Indeed, welcome. A very fine choice of car

11 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

In my humble opinion mirrors are best fitted to the doors rather than the wings.

You do get a wider field of view when the mirror is closer to you. That's why modern cars all have door mirrors, not wing.

13 minutes ago, Paulfc said:

What I’d very strongly advise is not to be tempted to drive without mirrors for the sake of keeping the car “original”. It’s really scary!!

Bah! Wimp!

None of my Triumphs have external mirrors. It's not scary if you exercise proper observation at all times. One caveat - if you have a stiff neck the quick look over your shoulder isn't practical, and a door mirror would help.

Totally agree with Colin's comment.  I have had them on mine since the rebuild 15 years ago; driver's side only to start with, and essential for UK where muppets do not seem to appreciate how 'small' a GT6 is.  Second one fitted for the continent which now remains on all the time.

Dick 

I have bullets on my GT6 wings, very pretty, but almost useless until I got convex mirrors fitted.  Convex mirrors on the doors are better and easier to set up, a one man job. I've seen GT6s with bullets AND a driver's door mirror as Colin suggests.  I also replaced the internal rear view mirror, the correct one for the car, but better modern glass and a better view.

Edit: Actually looking at my picture of the East Berks Massive there's a good selection of what people do. Mine's the yellow one. 

Doug. 

Hi Colin/ Dick

I'm thinking about mirrors on my Mk2 GT6 as well - hadn't really thought about clip on mirrors  -don't think I've ever seen one on a GT6 but sounds an excellent idea.  Which make/supplier do you recommend?  I note Rimmers stock them.  Anyone got a picture of one on a car?

Bob

Bob,

I'm thinking about mirrors on my Mk2 GT6 as well - hadn't really thought about clip on mirrors  -don't think I've ever seen one on a GT6 but sounds an excellent idea.  Which make/supplier do you recommend?

The club shop stock an  overtaking mirror which clips onto the vertical trim just behind the quarter-light. From my own experience it is rather too easily knocked off and I spent so much time picking it off the floor that I've stopped using it (no photo unfortunately) If you're less clumsy than me though it's £28 + £ 6.95 p&p. Don't forget to log in with your membership number to get the club member discount.

Wayne

You can buy cheaper on EBay , I’ll post a pic of mine on my Vitesse tomorrow  . All the overtaking mirrors I’ve seen are all the same design suggesting they come from one source . Pretty sure I paid less than £20 delivered 

Paul 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-CLAMP-CLIP-ON-STAINLESS-STEEL-CHROME-OVERTAKING-PEEP-CLASSIC-CAR-DOOR-MIRROR/221726116046?hash=item339fe808ce:g:ytkAAOSwBLlVFDp5

I recently fitted one of these on my Vitesse and Im very pleased with the quality and fixing but would recommend the convex type or possibly a rectangular shape mirror on its side to give better coverage....

I think they're around £20 and there are plenty to choose from, but all the same basic principle; they clip onto the quarterlight glass so no drilling involved. I've never knocked one off but have had one drop off as it was too loosely fitted, so this one has a small dab of sealant hidden in behind the clamp and has never caused any bother. It's been on there for about15 years now.

DSCF1342.jpg.3cb57352f5a2a2938007b96890687db6.jpg

I have bullet mirrors mounted on the doors of my Mk2 (fitted by the PO I hasten to add).
The pax mirror is slightly further back, which bugs the heck out of me...
Both interfere with the quarterglass and both were completely useless until I fitted convex glass.
Now only the N/S is completely useless. The drivers side is just barely usable.

I'm planning to take them off the door and, if I can see anything through them not too far forward on the wings, I'll mount them there.

If you're going the door-mount route, I would avoid the bullet type mirrors and have them far enough back to clear the quarterglass.

44 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

my Vitesse also has wing mirrors they are a waste of time. If you bother to adjust them they never stay in adjustment.

Mmmmm that's a pity, Paul.

I have wing mirrors on my Mk2 with sprung loaded arms which is very useful when the vehicle is not in use.

However, more importantly I use CONVEX square mirrors that stay in situ no matter what the road conditions are. These are secured by a centre bolt which tighten and stay put once the mirror has been adjusted.

Is your set-up the same ??

Have attached a couple of photos showing the set-up.

As mentioned on a thread not so long ago, the best mirror glass shape is CONVEX as this gives you a broad beam vision of the view behind you an also eliminates any blind spots. I agree that wing mirrors are not always the first choice, but in this and my particular case I cannot fault the positioning.

Best wishes.

Richard.

DSC00007.JPG

DSC00008.JPG

11 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

my Vitesse also has wing mirrors they are a waste of time. If you bother to adjust them they never stay in adjustment.

I didn't have that problem with my first Vitesse (which had them positioned like Richard's) but my old 2.5PI had worn springs on the fittings and if you got them nicely adjusted when stationary then they pointed downwards (reflected only the wing top) when you got to 60mph.

13 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

On mine they are on the quarter light glass, but opening the quarter light in a GT6 Mk1 is a meaningless evolution in my experience.  Rear ones are always open, and invariably the drivers window, and still rarely a need for a jumper!

Dick

Same here. I just wind down the main window. If you open the quarterlight glass, the mirror moves away so no use unless it's closed. Make sure if you buy one that you fix it securely; as I've said a little tiny dab of sealer holds it in place. It clamps around the glass but the rear quarterlight pillar also helps to support it when the window is closed, and if you open the glass it's just clamped on by the force of two allen-headed screws and can disappear if you go over a large bump....

I have a clip on type mirror on my mk2 gt6, been on there over 10 years. Serves a purpose, a bit small and can vibrate on occasion, idling poor road serface etc. so you can get a blured view. Recently fitted a new old stock desmo mirror to my Vitesse drivers door,  bigger convex mirror, and solidly mounted, much better all round in my opinion.

Mark

8 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

How long have you owned this GT6? I remember it from quite a few years ago at Stafford, in fact I parked mine beside it.

16 years, I’ve not been to Stafford so it must have been before my ownership.

7 hours ago, mpbarrett said:

I have the clip on mirrors on the my Herald. They are fitted to the glass on the quarter lights which means you cant open them!

I would like to find a better way of fitting them, on the Red GT6 are they fitted to the gutter? 

They’re fitted to the bar in between the window and the quarter light, this is not great photo but I think you can just about make it out.

1B0A1A68-4205-4AFB-8554-CA665496F4F8.jpeg