Clutch won't engage Vitesse MK II

Joel

Hello.

I've just changed the bushes on my MK II Vitesse gear shifter and now I can't get into any gear! Engine off, the shifter moves perfectly and I can feel the gear being selected but grinds and graunches when trying to shift with the engine on. I've bled the MC and SC, fluid pees out of the drain nipple so no air in the system.  With the tunnel housing removed, the SC piston seems to move as it should  and there isn't any play that I can see. Never had any problems with the clutch before. The car hasn't moved for three months over the winter but this hasn't been a problem in previous years. I'm fairly sure that the bush change hasn't got anything to do with the problem but it sure is a big coincidence..... Help!!

20200118_161751.jpg

is the slave bleed nipple in the upper hole ??

and when bleeding push the slave piston in to reduce volume in the slave ( pumps back after bleeding)

if laid up clutch disc may be lightly rusted /stuck and will need a good jolt to free it off .

its def  a clutch problem if selection off is ok but baulks when it  idles

not your bush rework 

Pete

Thanks for your quick reply, poppyman. Tried this but no change. The car moves when the starter is cranked so the gear is engaging but depressing the clutch doesn't disengage the flywheel. I restarted the engine in neutral and I still can't shift into any gear.

22 minutes ago, Joel said:

Thanks for your quick reply, poppyman. Tried this but no change. The car moves when the starter is cranked so the gear is engaging but depressing the clutch doesn't disengage the flywheel. I restarted the engine in neutral and I still can't shift into any gear.

This might sound daft? but how does the clutch "feel" is there a resistance or is there just nothing. If the clutch fork is moving? the clutch is stuck.

Tony. 

Hi Joel,

I'm sure your clutch is stuck .I've had this problem on my Vit more than once down the years. Depends how long the car is stored and how cold/moist your garage gets, I've found. 

The first method I 've tried is to start the car and let it get fully warmed up - leave it running for a an hour. The heatsoak from the engine may travel enough to the clutch/flywheel to free it off. With the clutch pedal depressed, try selecting a gear - if it crunches - it's still stuck.

The second method is securely chock the front wheels and place the rear up on axle stands securely. Leave the wheels on and with neutral selected and the clutch depressed ,start the engine. The wheels will turn whilst the clutch is stuck. Now try the putting the brakes on/off gently. If the clutch frees off you'll feel a bit of a thump and the wheels should stop turning with the g'box in neutral and the clutch depressed.

The third method, as previously mentioned - you'll need a long drive or plenty of space in front of the car  - is with the car on the ground, g'box in neutral and the clutch depressed, try starting the engine. The car will lurch forward on the starter motor. Which might free the clutch. Don't try this for too long. I personally don't like method three as it's a bit brutal on the starter motor and it will get hot.

Fourth and final method - pull the g'box out and free the clutch off the flywheel with a big plastic hammer/or metal one and block of wood.

Good luck !

Gav

Some good tips there Gav. What i usually do is start the car in gear after getting it warm, and then while the car is moving keep your foot on the clutch and then brake hard. The car will ether stall or the clutch will be free. Never had it fail.... (yet)?

Tony. 

Morning. Tried the running for an hour but it was still stuck but having jacked up the rear wheels and followed your instructions, I heard a loud thump and we're back to normal!!

Many thanks to all of you - Poppyman, Gav and Pete, for all all of your help and advice. If you're ever down in the South West of France, the beers are on me!!

Joel

• 7 months later...

A frequent problem with stored cars.  I cleared mine on a few occasions by finding a quiet road and starting on the starter motor in first gear.  Then depress the clutch and accelerate/decelerate until it clears. has taken a few minutes at times.

The first though that came to me with problem I had on a vitesse and the dimple in the middle of the release fork had worn through!  Hard to believe, eh?  It was used for driving instruction so the clutch took a bit of a bashing.