Saying good bye to an old friend

Graham C

Today I had to take my Labrador to the vet for the final time. 14 years ago I carried him in for the first time now for the last time I carried him in. He was lucky that he had been treated/ seen by the same vet all that time.  Reminded every time by the vet of when eat two flat balls which upset his stomach.

He has sat outside with me when working on cars, until he got bored. When washing cars until I got the hose out. Then back inside.

However come 9.15 in the evening where's my 10.00 walk. Never got his watch corrected.

When loading the dishwasher having to beat back the nose sniffing around.

Hearing the cry from the good lady when cooking or serving up a meal that the dog is in her way.

However gone is that dog who greeted me every day when returning home from work. OK he was only after a treat.

However good bye good friend and thank for being in my life.

Graham

• Sad 6

Graham, every sympathy to you and your good lady, people say a pet can be like one of the family... NO, they ARE one of the family. I'll stick my neck out here, in a lot of ways it can be worse than losing an elderly relative. It's the one downside of the companionship. You gave a Lab a great life, with time the pain will ease but the happy memories will live forever.

Yes they do get under your skin and Derek and Colin you are correct they are part of the family. On Monday I collected some tablets for him and asked to pay for putting him to sleep it cut deep. I was attempting to make it easier. So today when my wife phoned me at work to tell me he was not good, I phoned the vet it was hard and numerous deep breathes I managed to book the appointment. They gave me a 30 min slot to ensure it was handled correctly and well. When we arrived and I ensured all was well before I carried in Chase it was hard. The vet said the same as you Colin they are family. He said nothing is wrong with showing being upset actually he gets upset if people are not upset as they do not care for their pet.

After Chase was put to sleep the vet and his nurse left the room to let us be with him, totally different to 40 years ago. It was really lovely.  Afterwards I felt a calm uppon me after the stresses of the last two week, which help with it all.

Today I was fortunate that the family agreed with the decision, it was nice that late last night I took Chase for a walk with my daughter, my daughter and I took Chase for his first walk so it seemed complete.

As I said early we have been going to this vet for 14 years a small one man band, working against the the tide of corporate vet firms.  You may have to put up with his straight talking but he cares, that is more Important than my feelings when we both have a common interest in Chase.

We started dry Jan have done well to date but to night we failed, it is hard when walking around the house doing thing differently and missing something.

Thank you reading this but sometimes it is good to talk.

Graham

They do get under your skin as you say Graham, and one of the ways is the level that they communicate with you, you know how I mean? It's a non-judgemental, no-back-doors sort of relationship, too.

We lost 2 Maine Coon cats at 16+ years old each within 6 months of each other. One had been blind for 3 years but nobody told him and he just got on with life, even catching the odd mouse in a dedicated cat-run (enclosure). This was round the time I was finishing work and the emptiness in the house was awful but we decided, no more cats. Definitely not. No way. Then after 3 years I caught sight of a rescue kitten on the Cats Protection website... you know where this is going. We've had her 2 years now and she is an absolute star...  Yes, they do get under your skin. 

2 hours ago, classiclife said:

Hello Mark,

You could try Raystede Animal Sanctuary at Ringmer in East Sussex {I am sure you know of it} they are always looking to rehome various animals; take your pick: anything from mice to donkeys !!

https://www.raystede.org/meet-the-animals/cats

Regards.

Richard.

We are on their waiting list...   Trying to find a cat that will exist with our two dogs.   Most rehome places won't let a cat go to a home with dogs.

doesnt matter how old you are a tear or two is respect 

making the call is not easy , memories can  last a lifetime

pets get under your skin , emotions are good ,   we have 2 rescue  moggies  all looking at 25 cockatiels 

the hand reared cockies have all demised , the current ones are more distant , the connection is lesser, 

having gad a heart attack did look at getting a dog but finding one that can live with cats is a no no, so

i go for walks with a lass over the road and walk her jack Russell , 

remember the happy days ......till the replacement youre not going to have arrives 

Pete   

Sorry for your loss Graham,

I had a Black Lab  from a puppy,gorgeous and intelligent,except she had a habit of swallowing things,2 stones and the third time a cork,it was the worst call i ever took from the vets saying her kidneys had failed during the op and she would have to be put to sleep.

Couldn`t face getting another,she was only 3.

Steve

• Sad 1

Hello 

Thank you for all your kind messages, been sorting the house out slowly. Dog towels may go to the vets. Food into a pet collection point. Numerous dog toys to the RSPA, once washed. We had a clear out last year but still have a lot. Only one to be kept, a toy rabbit that came with him as a puppy,  Always in his bed never played with just laid on or kick out. We have been expecting this event for some time due to his age and back legs getting weaker bit still tough. At present not thinking of another dog yet., we have spoken about this, but not yet.

Just getting use to an empty house.

Again thank you, just give your pets an extra treat,they deserve it.

Graham

• Sad 1