Electronic Ignition.

David McHugh

I have a 1974 1.3 Spitfire IV and want to fit electronic ignition, the tupe that fits inside the existing distributor cap. Can anyone recommend a type/ make and any useful tips.

Your knowledge, if pasted on to me, will be greatly apriciated .

Thank you in advance

David.

I used the SimonBBC versions from eBay : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-25D-25D4-POWERSPARK-electronic-ignition-kit-/110581394489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19bf2a2c39

Aldon gave up on me while Optronic was too much bother.

That link is just to a sample of what he sells; check his other items to confirm the one you require. I’ve found them excellent quality over the years. 

• Like 1

My car currently has the SimonBBC system too. It's only been fitted a couple of months but so far seems very good and it's a very inexpensive solution.

The SimonBBC has replaced an old Lumenition kit which was already fitted when I bought the car. Many people have had good results with Lumenition but the SimonBBC improved things noticeably for me. Maybe my Lumenition kit was just old and past its best for some reason? I don't know.

At some point I fancy having a go with the 123 Tune distributor, but it's a lot more money and at the moment the car is going ok and I can find plenty of other ways to spend it!

• Like 1

I didn’t find any great improvement with the 123 and so sold my unit a few years ago. Like my digital camera there were just too many features on it that I’d never use. I just like the fit-and-forget style of the under-cap systems and although my Aldon system was this type it failed after about two years. The red SimonBBC unit has been going great for quite a bit longer and I’ve bought since some for my Heralds. 

Hello.

Along the same lines as Dave & Clive, I am currently using SimonBBC electronic ignition on my Vitesse - for this vehicle it was the fit & forget under the dizzy kit. On my Sunbeam Alpine I am using the complete SimonBBC electronic dizzy unit.

Both options are (touch wood) working faultlessly.

The dizzy in the Vitesse was fine, hence the points replacement, but there was some wear on the Alpine dizzy shaft - therefore I went for the complete dizzy package.

If you think you have wear on your dizzy which would be significant enough to cause dwell fluctuation & timing / setting-up issues then for another £30 / £40 I would be minded to go for the complete dizzy unit.

Needless to say it's even easier to fit then the points replacement !!

On another classic I used Accuspark and could not fault their system either; I guess as you have 3x thumbs up for SimonBBC that says it all really.

Finally, I'm with Colin on the 123 system as I just want to fit it and get on driving.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard

Thank you all for your help, it looks like I will be taking a look at the Simon bbc, once I have looked at it to see exactly what's what I might then be able to make sense of what you mean Richard with regards to the difference between the two.

Kind regards

David

David.

Your 2x options are:

1. Power Spark Kit - Replaces your points , condenser & rotor arm with a simple magnetic pickup module and an up-rated rotor arm with the most modern design.

2. Replacement reconditioned distributor with all the above already built in. With this option it's just a case of lifting out your old dizzy and popping the new one back in its place and connecting up the relevant wiring. 

Regards.

Richard.

dont forget club shop sells the Aldon units ...

always check and reset the timing after fitment of any make as this will change from the points setting 

some cheaper  versions were found by a classic mag. to have irregular spaced magnetic triggers ,  

just a thought 

Pete