Intermittent drive reverse/first

Silvester

Odd one, from time to time my Mk1 2litre Vitesse with OD, loses drive when I set off in 1st or reverse. It is particularly noticeable when I reverse into my garage which involves a very small upward slope; al is fine until meeting the slope with everything engaged and then drive gets lost. No change in tone of drive. 

Something is wrong and the only way I can think to describe it is in comparing it with a starter motor that has lost some teeth, sometimes it works and sometimes not. 

All thoughts much appreciated

Regards

Graham

O/d shouldn't work in reverse, so I reckon as Johny says it's a badly worn or contaminated clutch. When you say there's no change in tone of drive you mean the engine revs don't go up? Unless it's the diff but I'm racking my brains to work out how it would lose traction on both wheels and then work again normally.

Just back in from the garage and really grateful to see so many comments (some of which may be above my skill level!). I don't think the clutch is slipping, no other signs of this when I'm on the open road and I live in a hilly area! The gear lever doesn't pop back into neutral. The one item that, for me is from left-field, is the OD. Certainly, the Canley notes suggest this is a possibility that I had never considered.

Time to have a look through their guide notes. Ohh and I got it to do it again this afternoon. Into reverse backing happily into the garage, then on the small slope into the doorway, no drive and plenty of revs; into first forward 10 yards and then back into reverse - no problem! Got to love a weird intermittent fault one to keep me going in the cold dark evenings.

All other thoughts welcome and thank you

Regards

Graham 

Drain the oil see if there is any metal in it and all ways check electrics very carefully.

Had a drive problem on my Vitesse Mk1 J type overdrive, select first let up clutch pedal to move off but no drive, would then engage with a thump.

Yellow metal thrust washer in overdrive had broken up, repaired by Overdrive repair services Sheffield who set the pressure to match my car now very smooth engaging.

Regards

Paul

this should be a D type .

i would remove the valve cap nut on the top and remove the parts under it , spring ball and needle    make sure the needle has a clear very small hole through its centre

if blocked this will slow OD operation and can stop it dumping pressure which can hold it in  out or anywhere in between

while in the tunnel remove the right hand side cover and check the hole in th sol lever aligns the hole in the case when engaged  the so; plunger should be free to move a small amount

quite freely , IE it can get rusty and stick....again upsets what you think is actually happening

you can remove the rh side cover and remove the filter for a de gunge and you have covered most easy diy OD service 

Pete

If yer low on oil,itll slip, as in OD coming in / oot

but this will be felt.

Overdrive will slip in reverse, had  it me self, was also slipp,n in forad gears

AND, this was with a new re done cone clutch

took it oot, n left it for ages,

And, just took the  aforementioned OD t,bits an hour ago, cos im re dooing it,

and  both frictione clutches are loose, spinning on  steel carrier

glue has de bonded or what ever its called

reason it just slips noo an then is maybe cos

1, no much load on

2 it sort of binds on whenst stopped as springs will pul it in, then suction takes owa for a wee while till it breaks loose

Ive just been fart,n aboot seeing why it would sometimes work and other not

this only thing I can see, or sumise.

took a few pics for the non believers,!!

bung em up later on

Hi guys thank you for the additional thoughts; to address some of the questions asked; no additive has been added and to my knowledge, the overdrive had been working normally on 3rd and 4th. Given the broad consensus around the overdrive, I'm going to address the DIY suggestions this weekend. If this fails to resolve things, having read up this now, the risk is that I could create further damage. This being the case,  the contingency will be off to Chic Doig who is my most local expert. While I prefer to have a go at most things if it comes to a gearbox out and repairs to the overdrive unit I suspect I've run out of talent 🙂 my thanks to one and all

Best Wishes

Graham