Air Box wanted for Vitesse Mk2

Iain T

certainly a mix of part numbers thro, 1600/mk1 and mk2 + much is down to breather evolution , cant get any clues on carb  mounting centres 

we need someone to measure the hole centres  for  mk1  and mk2  to compare  even a rule over the fixing bolts will advise  ok or vastly different 

Pete

Just spoke to TRGB and the MK1 has (allegedly) different centres to the MK2.

Paul, thanks for the offer but I will try and find a MK2 or failing that make my own. I like your stainless fabrication, a paint shop I know can chrome paint parts if anyone wants a s/steel look alike.

Iain

59 minutes ago, martyn wright said:

Dave charged me £30! 

I presume postage on top, Martyn ??

Be interested to see the condition, if you have a photo to hand, thanks.

Regards.

Richard.

Hello Paul,

Have sent you a PM as interested in the Mk1 airbox for TSSC friend - Ian (Forum: SixasStandard) as he is looking to replace the K&N set-up on his car.

If still on offer, I'd like to take the offer.

Thanks.

Richard.

3 hours ago, martyn wright said:

Hi!  I just got mine yesterday Second Hand from Canley Classics for my Mk1 Vitesse and they are supposed to be the same? 

You're right. It seems I was misremembering. Having looked closely and measured, I cannot find any difference between the Mk1 Vitesse and Mk3 GT6 air boxes. I haven't taken them off to look for changes in the drillings for the carbs, though.

I know that the external design of the GT6 versions changed, it was to do with the length of the strengthening ribs on the front of the box, which were (I think) lengthened between very early and later models. I've no idea of the Vitesse but thought the carb fittings were more or less the same distance, but may have small differences like extra holes to match small differences in the carbs. 

Hi All!  The Mk1 2ltr/ Mk2 Vitesse/GT6 are the same!   I checked my old dented Mk1 Vitesse 1600 Air box and it is also the same?  Altho my 1600/6 is a July 1966 Car and they did stop making them in the September?  Richard!  my phone is not working properly but the condition was the same as the 68 Photo a bit oily and gunked up but I have just stripped it down and repainted it!  Speak to Dave at Canley!          01676 541360   They are going between £40-£70 on ebay I had been looking for Months!  Mine was £30 incl VAT then postage was £8.50?  Cheers Martyn

Just realised that I took the Back of the Old Airbox as it was painted and added it to the Newly painted Mk2 Front,  but I noticed that the ribs on the front where different, but when I placed 4 x bolts into the holes of the front of the Mk2 Air Box down thro the old airbox holes they matched anyway  If you get my drift??

19 hours ago, classiclife said:

I presume postage on top, Martyn ??

Be interested to see the condition, if you have a photo to hand, thanks.

Regards.

Richard.

No Dents just a small amount of rust and gunked up with oil,  Cleaned it rubbed it down and it looks almost new!  Speak to Dave at Canleys,  he is very helpful!   £30 plus VAT plus Postage    Cheers Martyn

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

A lot dearer. I've had a wake-up call in recent months as to what some of the bits I have lying about are actually worth these days.

Indeed, that is the case. But if you/I put one up for £30 we would still have it in 5 years time. The traders can always charge a hefty premium. I reckon as private sellers we can get about 60% of what a trader sells an item for.

Now, I must dig out my stuff to sell at Stoneleigh! OD box anybody?

29 minutes ago, clive said:

Indeed, that is the case. But if you/I put one up for £30 we would still have it in 5 years time.

I didn't mean for selling, Clive!! I meant for the cost of replacement, if I need another one. Traders are indeed a different story; I needed a 1200 air filter box years ago and was sold one as 'very hard to find!' and priced accordingly; I now have half a dozen of the things, and I still won't get half of what I was charged back then if I tried to sell one.

However: eBay still surprises me as to what things will go for, and what some buyers are prepared to pay.

Iain I had my Mk2 Vit original one chromed eons ago to match the chromed saloon rocker cover I fitted pre 73 when still in the UK, now I'm not a glitisy person ie don't fit chromed everything but I do think the chrome rocker cover and air filter looks good.

Ooh re the cold air inlet hoses to the air filter I had great trouble in getting the right imperial sized hose, I was getting the wife's X type serviced and the outfit strip Jags and I noticed the Mk2 interior heater air pipe plastic with a spiral steel reinforcement to rear seats fitted perfectly approx. 2X1mt lengths $5, mind you the service & other minor things cost a lot more than that.

Peter T