Air Box wanted for Vitesse Mk2

Iain T

Reason for wanting one is to replace the K&N pancakes and get some cool air into the carbs. I will probably modify it similar to one on Chris Witor's website and remove the internal filters and use an external one. Just to waste more time and effort I might turn up some stub stacks as no one seems to make them for Strombergs, loads for SU's (MED Eng do them they're 18mm rad half moon section). Then I'll paint the box............silver!

Iain

33 minutes ago, Works Spitfires said:

Hmm some interesting theory's on here about air box types.

The back plate is indeed  the same across the  range, but its the front cover that changes.

The MKI Vitesse/GT6 I (black painted) has a row of holes on the underneath face. 

The MKII Vitesse/GT6 II-III (silver painted) dosn't have the holes.

No I befuddled myself there, I had all types out in front of me,  and I got mixed up with either Dolomite 18/50, or late HS6 equipped 2000 MKII .

All types of Vitesse, and GT6 have the holes on the underneath.

So apart from the black, and silver paint they look visually the same.  

Airbox arrived from Canley, it's exactly the same as my 'original' but has some light surface rust which I can easily remove. No dents or scratches and the seal strip is good so I think worth the £38 total including delivery.

I forgot to take a picture and the car is now where I used to work as I'm taking the head (and possibly block) out. Ancillaries off just need to lift head but run out of time yesterday. However I did notice the tappet adjustment screws were up and down an indication of incorrect valve seat heights or odd valve lengths. Going to take head off tomorrow...the suspense!!

Iain

Same seller has a Vitesse headlight panel, currently at a good price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Vitesse-Head-Lamp-Panel/124069437153?hash=item1ce31d5ee1:g:ig8AAOSwgrBeNvN4

I ended up making, and buying, some nice and shiny stainless steel under bonnet bits for my Vitesse.

Intended to only make some replacement engine side panels and didn't stop as I had material left over.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, fortunately the PO had my car fully restored so my headlight panels are in good condition but good price. 

Mirror finish s/steel looks good but you have to be sooo careful as it shows scratches. Grade 316 is best for but 321 could also be used, some other lower grades can even over time show surface rust! It looks like you made a fine job of the air cleaner and side panels, did you put the louvres in?

Iain

Stainless was bought as offcuts for scrap price from a local small fabricating business, he was making an aluminium petrol tank for a classic bike, made my efforts look very amateur.

Did have a go at the louvres, not the best bit, but first and only attempt.

I will be interested to see what the light panel fetches as have acquired two down the years.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200205_194824.jpg

On the airbox there are small differences between the 1600/2 Litre and Mk2. If I remember it's extra small carb holes below the fixing bolts. These were present on some export and the later GT6 carbs.

However, the spacing and fixing to the carbs is the same. Yes black on 1600/2Litre and silver on MK2.

Dave