Steering rack rebuld

Hi all

I am rebuilding a spitifire steering rack that has been stood for a long time. There was no play in the ball joints or the rack and pinion. I have taken the inner ball joints apart and the cup the ball sits in is metal. I notice that suppliers are offering a replacement plastic cup but a metal cup does not seem to be available. I wondered if there is any benefit in switching to the plastic cup over metal. As there was no discernible play in the joint and only slight evidence of wear on the surfaces I might just put the existing components back together unless there is some advantage in putting the plastic cups in.

Any thought?

Mike

yes agree use what you have 

there is a small hole in the tube under the n/s rack mount , this holds a small nylon plug to stop rack rattle on rough ground

often gets lost 145108 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rack-and-pinion

moss used to sell them 

and if replacing gaitors not all sold fit the tube hsg.    diameters   without a fight  if origs are ok stick with them 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

there is a small hole in the tube under the n/s rack mount , this holds a small nylon plug to stop rack rattle on rough ground

often gets lost 145108 

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rack-and-pinion

moss used to sell them 

and if replacing gaitors not all sold fit the tube hsg.    diameters   without a fight  if origs are ok stick with them 

Pete

Held in by the original rubber mounting housing, so if you use alloy mounts they'll fall out... unless you put a hose clamp over it. 

Rubber gaiters are not bad; I've done a Herald rack recently and you do need four hands, but they'll go on eventually.

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

hows the arm these days  

Not up to rack gaiters yet! Made the mistake of sleeping on it last night so it let me know it was not happy! I've  been told to work at the pace of the shoulder; when it says stop, then stop.

I've become very adept at left-handed screwdrivering and hammering, but aerosol cans never seem to aim as well as with the right hand.

23 hours ago, Mike T said:

Thanks for the comments. I wondered what the hole was for and no sign of the nylon plug. Order placed for replacement plug and new gaiters - the old ones were not fit to re-use

Mike

Don't forget you need a normal type rack mount to keep the nylon plug in place. A solid rack mount will not work.